Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reborn: My S54-Powered E36

Reborn: My S54-Powered E36

Just over 3 years ago, 3 years and 8 days ago to be exact, I bought an S54 from a guy down in Georgia. For those of you who said I'd never finish it, this is for you.

Click HERE for the Video!

I was told time and time again that I was wasting my time, money, effort, etc… or that S54 swaps had been done, or that I should have had it done in a couple of months. Seeing as it has been 3 years and I've still yet to see anyone else pop up with a swap quite like mine, we can discuss whether or not ya'll were wrong yet .

The car runs on the factory E46 DME. My main goal going in to this swap was to do it as if BMW had done it. I didn't hack up my harness to make this happen. The entire E36 body harness is in tact, and mates to the E46 harness through the factory connectors. Everything is seamlessly integrated, with the car now running the E46 gauge cluster. The primary difference between a factory swap and mine would be (quite obviously) the velocity stacks.

I'm sure there are going to be countless members here claiming I've voided the point of the swap… that I'm just sucking in hot air, that BMW's engineers did it right the first time. That's all fine and dandy, but a dyne graph will prove otherwise. 30-50WHP+ gains over a factory S54… and that's on a Dyno Dynamics dyno- no DynoJet BS. Combining the rest of the mods and what we've got is one delightfully quick, insane sounding E36.

What might be as equally noteworthy to the motor is the suspension. When the car went under the knife, it went under with Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers.
    The car now sits on something far more specialized. Last year, we approached AST suspension, known for building some phenomenal race suspensions, and said we want a coilover engineered for "low".

What we got was was greater than imagined. AST took their track proven suspension and shortened it substantially. The shortened housings combined with unique struts valved for stiffer springs, we've got what is essentially built a coilover for "stance".

Words can't describe the quality, the ride, the handling. Go on and suggest I've ruined the car with imperfect suspension geometry and stretched tires. For those of who you do care- there's no better E36 suspension out there as far as I am concerned. I'm merely halfway down, with gobs of travel and a car that rides like a sports car is supposed to. No jarring, no banging, no roughness.

We're calling the suspension StanceWorks: Zero Clearance by AST. If you're interested in a set, PM me.

The wheels are 17x8.5 and 17x10 OZ Mercedes AMG Aeros. They might not be to everyone's taste, but the moment I saw them I knew i had to have them. Rotiform refinished them, color-matching the centers and high-polishing the lips and installing new hardware. Most importantly, they did a killer job re-drilling them from 5x112 to 5x120. No adapters or spacers here… just phenomenal offsets.

There's a LOT of work left to do on the car… I've got a long way to take it and this is only the start… but its a joy to have my car back. The car drives better than imaginable, like a factory car is supposed to. It handles, it accelerates, it looks proper. Best of all, it sounds like an F1 car tuned for the street. I couldn't be more pleased, and I offer all of those who doubt the above a ride in the car to see for yourself.

First, my biggest thanks goes to Erik Rumbaugh. You know what role you played, no need to sell it. I appreciate it man.
    There's my parents. They put up with it and have really helped make it happen.
    Rotiform for the wheel refinishing.
    Rob Levinson for helping me out on some parts.
    Huuuuuge thanks to WagenWerks and AWOL for making the video, undoubtedly the best way to cap this build.

And a special thanks to Fluid MotorUnion. Without you guys, this car wouldn't be where it is today…. and it wouldn't be the best damn sounding BMW ever.

Once again, for the unobservant,Click HERE for the Video!

Holy fuck. Never thought this day would come. Engine shots please

Comment

I didn't realize it took you 3 years until I saw your build up thread on Bimmerforums.

Good to see all the hard work pay off and I will be buying ZeroClearance in the near future [When I get my E36 M3]

Even though there is a lot more work to go, as you stated, can't wait to see more progress.

Keep it up Mike.

Main Page - Facebook - Flickr - Instagram - Twitter
      Originally posted by Oxer
      You know who Jason is? Anyone here read the Bible or know most of the stories etc? Who's the guy that stands at the gate and decides if you get into heaven or not? That's Jason. He processes everyone in the intro threads and welcomes them.
      Originally posted by Average_Jerk
      Also you relinquish all of your rights by posting in RT. You can be banned at any time for no reason at all.

Comment

spied a shot of it in the stanceworks feature thread before you posted this up. WOW! love every bit of it

Just maybe some things to clean up:
        -painted foglight covers
        -m mouldings (if you like, i **** my stock e36 mouldings... seemingly too thin to my liking)
        -girll mesh / slate
        -M-rear bumper
        -why not a smaller tire and more poke in the front with that agressive of a rear?

im just being nit picky though... finally mike's back in the e36 game!!

cheers

"Auto Detailing by Jake," servicing the Southern California auto enthusiast community.

Detailing Dough --> College dues. Which leaves $____ for e36. D'oh.

Comment

Your welcome Mike! I'll never forget the countless hours(and friends made along the way) that we put into getting your car to where it sits today. It looks top notch, and performs to match.

Erik

Comment

Dude, yes! I have been waiting so long to see this! Looks absolutely amazing and that video was seriously the sickest car video I've ever seen. It's so well put together. And the wheels make such an awesome statement! Ahahahah dude, I seriously cannot stop watching that video with the volume cranked! Sooooo sick. Everything is so top notch.

PS You can expect me to buy a set Zero Clearance's real soon, just been really busy lately.

IG: @_olliee

Comment

Damn. I remember seeing the photo with it in the garage a few years ago. I knew it was going to happen, but not this amazing. Props to you Mike.

-Dan

Comment

fuck yea, the concept of this is so badass. The first pics that came out of sowo deffinately did not do this car justice, looks WAY better in your photographs. Well done, i wish i could have seen this thing in person.

ig: @jonnie86

Comment

Utterly amazing mike. You are now my hero! I didnt think you could top the E28, but this takes the cake...
                  1989 Fiji Blue Conquest Tsi
                  2005 Black Cherry Mica NB Miata

Comment

Dear god Mike.

You just killed it. That is BEYOND incredible. I so desperately want to catch a plane to visit the states so I can see that beast live.

Also those coils are BALLER. If there was any chance to get these TÜV approved without spending a fortune, I'd be shooting you a PM right now.

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Comment

You my friend mike are the car god. I pray to you at night before bed.......

Comment

like i told u at SoWo....

SHIT IS MEAN AS FUK!

Comment

o..m...g...

Comment

Just saw it on AWOL.
                            Sick man, just sick
                            -Instagram@jdjurhuus
                            Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

Congrats man, if you guys get a chance to see/hear the car in person, definitely do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X