Another BMW E28 - This Time From Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pazi88 View Post
    You should forgot those 50-profile tires. They look horrible and that's why you have problems fitting them. Instead try 40 or 45 tires. 215/40 should fit nicely on 10" wheel.
    I agree about the looks. I'm new to stretched tyres. I'll try a 205/50 next.

Comment

• Very keen to see what happens next. Just read through the whole thing, so glad you're going the direction I'd take an e28.

If you're looking for ideas of what stretched tyres will look like etc, head on over to http://tyrestretch.com/ and see what others have uploaded. Very good way to get an idea of the amount of stretch you'd get.

I had a 205/45/16 on my 10's, was a nice amount of stretch in my eyes.
      IG: @sebastienaudeon
      1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
      *pats Sebs head*
      there there.
      keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

• Put a 205/50 on the other rear wheel today. Couldn't get the tyre to bead with works compressor (as expected). I'll try and get it bead blasted next week.

Originally posted by SebastienPeek View Post
        Very keen to see what happens next. Just read through the whole thing, so glad you're going the direction I'd take an e28.

If you're looking for ideas of what stretched tyres will look like etc, head on over to http://tyrestretch.com/ and see what others have uploaded. Very good way to get an idea of the amount of stretch you'd get.

I had a 205/45/16 on my 10's, was a nice amount of stretch in my eyes.
        Cheers, appreciate it!

Good sight, thanks for the link. Will be good for the stretched tyre noob that i am.

How hard will they to bead? I might try that tyre size next.

Comment

• The more you lower it, the more camber you will gain. Also if that is not enough you need to weld camber adjustment brackets, onto the rear beam.

If this helps you decide on a tire, this is a 16x9 et08 with 215/40 setup all around, no rubbing and only rolled rear fenders. In this picture it was on KAW lowering springs, think they are 80/60.

-Instagram@jdjurhuus
          Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

• Thanks Zic!

Approaching the 1000kms mark, thought i'd remove the rocker cover for piece of mind.

It was all perfect!

Zero traces of blow-by as well.

The OEM oil cooler lines wouldn't work with where I wanted the oil cooler and I didn't want to get custom lines before knowing if the motor would run. So a simple loop hose was made instead. Down the track I might fit a cooler, probably don't need it though.

Next is the rear wheels issue. Without suspension work and guard work they are never going to sit right. So the next thing to do was remove a rear subframe..

Luckily I had a donor..

Not the most fun in a paddock by yourself.

Removed all the brakes and lines, chucked some wheels on and set it up up bricks.

Then figure out how much negative camber i can get.

Moving the inner mount down about an inch changed the camber from -3 to -6 giving an extra 20mm outer clearance. Am I right in saying this should increase even further with weight on the suspension?

Think I will buy the IE posi lock setup. That should give me enough adjustment back to stock.

Comment

• Tracked down the parts I need to make the rear end adjustable. They ran out of stock, but luckily I found someone in the states willing to sell theirs and post them to me.

Ireland Engineering posi-lock adjusters, which will give me the ability to add and remove camber and correct toe.

Now to test out my welding skills.

Also finally got this 7 months after knowing I recieved it, if it wasn't for this car I doubt I would have got it.

Comment

• Any updates?

How does the b34 compare to b28?

Comment

• Originally posted by symmat001 View Post
                  Any updates?

How does the b34 compare to b28?
                  No proper updates at this stage.

It is technically only a b32 but with a b35 head. It goes much better than the b28 did. Still a few issues to sort out from not running motronic or the right ecu. It runs lean (about 13.9 AFR) full throttle and that's with the airflow meter door loosened. Cruising AFRs are in the mid 13's. It would be nice to be able to get it leaner on cruise and richer on WOT. Trying to find a 3.3 or 3.5 l-jet ecu, hopefully that helps. Only has 1500kms on it so far so I still avoiding above 5,000 rpm.

Comment

• Slowly making progress with the rear subframe!

Notched both the control arm mounting points to give the desired camber and toe adjustment.

Welded on all the adjustment brackets.

Couldn't use 30 year old subframe bushes, so they were removed the easy way. Which still proved to be a challenge. Plenty of flames and hammer hits later they were out.

Then cleaned, primed and painted it so it looks like new!

Now the wait for parts, hopefully I can have it fitted in the next month.

Least the cold winter mornings are no longer!

Comment

• Nice build dude, love the engine work you have done a killer job!

I know them feels running a different loom and cpu atm im running a m20b25 on a b23 loom and cpu had to use b23 manifold that is mismatched to the head, thought about trying to aquire a fuse box, loom, cpu, manifold etc but she runs fine .

might just add a bit Japanese engineering later down the goats track

Btw watch out for wombats after you get that valance installed

Comment

• question on the dials there, on my e28 the rpm gauge isn't working. can't open it up yet, but do you have an idea of what that might cause?

wicked build btw, subscribed a moment ago!

Comment

• Phenomenal build keep up the solid work man!
                          Mx73 Cressida Build check it out!
                          http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=59875

Ig: Japetto516

Comment

• Originally posted by 1jze30 View Post
                            Nice build dude, love the engine work you have done a killer job!

I know them feels running a different loom and cpu atm im running a m20b25 on a b23 loom and cpu had to use b23 manifold that is mismatched to the head, thought about trying to aquire a fuse box, loom, cpu, manifold etc but she runs fine .

might just add a bit Japanese engineering later down the goats track

Btw watch out for wombats after you get that valance installed
                            Thanks for the kind words!

haha, I'm slowly getting on top of mine. A aftermarket jap ecu would be ideal down the track.

yeah wombats would nearly write it off!
                            Originally posted by RutgervD View Post
                            question on the dials there, on my e28 the rpm gauge isn't working. can't open it up yet, but do you have an idea of what that might cause?

wicked build btw, subscribed a moment ago!
                            The cluster gears can wear out, circuit boards die. Maybe do a google or look on mye28.com.

Cheers!
                            Originally posted by Tarmac180sx View Post
                            Phenomenal build keep up the solid work man!
                            Thanks man, appreciate it.

Comment

• thanks for the link there, will def have a look once I got the car back!

Comment

• So the piece of sh!t broke down on me the other day. Went to start it after posting something in the post office and it just cranked and wouldn't fire. Checked every electrical plug etc, fuel pump primed, still no luck. Gave up and called a mate to get a rope to tow me to work. He rocked up an hour later, connected the rope and suggested to try and start it one last time. What do you know it started first go....

Two positives I can draw from this as frustration made me forget about driving it soft. Limiter leaving the car park sounded mint and nice black lines were left.

Comment

Working...
                                X