'90 Infiniti Q45 (President Conversion) Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '90 Infiniti Q45 (President Conversion) Build

I figured I'd wait a couple days after I posted my LS400 build to detail my main project. My G50 has been down for over a year with a blown tranny (no homo) but work is slowly commencing. The plan is to wrap up and sell the LS to fund the Q to be built like I feel it should. It won't cover the cost, but it'll be a nice start.

I bought the Q for $900. I didn't spend much on the car because I knew it was going to be an all out project. I managed to find a low miles year 1 Q with all the right problems. Pre-buy research revealed a long list of common issues with this car so I knew I was going to have to do a lot of maintenance. No sense in spending more than I needed to on a mint condition car right?

So I brought it home, ordered about $3K in maintenance parts and sent it off for a little while to have the maintenance done by an experienced G50 mechanic (another $3K). At the time I didn't have the facilities to DIY. It came back looking basically like this:

While it was away I special ordered a set of JIC FLT-TAR Super Lows (only set in the states AFAIK).

Next up was wheels. At this point I kind of went astray from my plan to build a traditional vip car. I was doing a lot of research on period correct styling, as well as other genres of customization. My infatuation with BBS RS started at this time, but I took it a step further (or so I thought) and got a set of rarer, more appropriate Impul R1s with the intention of rebuilding them. Ride height was also dialed in.

Unfortunately I wasn't paying enough attention and the Impuls were 2 piece instead of 3, so I ended up going with spacers. SPL Z32 tension and toe rods were also added around this time.

I was having some PS issues so I had The Rack Doctor rebuild a rack for me using SPL Z32 tie rod ends and Tein Z33 inners (first to do this on a Q AFAIK). This didn't fix the problem but it did correct my bumpsteer with the use of high misalignment spacers.

I just drove it for a while with no real direction for the project, I was enjoying the car. I acquired a few parts like Z32 calipers, an R32 GTR differential, a '93 TCU... just stuff to make the car more fun to drive.

Then the transmission blew and it sat until...

I saw a President conversion on eBay that I couldn't pass up. It is more complete than most conversions sold because it included the core support and half rails. These are key parts to a 100% switch so I jumped on it. A couple days later I had all the sheet metal mocked up:

If you are observant you may have noticed the wheels in the pic. I actually bought them for the Lexus but once the President came into play I knew where they belonged.

They are JDM (original 5x114.3 PCD) Carlsson 1/12 19s. This is my #2 wheel of all time (behind Super RS) so when I caught a new set on YAJ selling on the low I had to jump. Shout out to Grant for the hook up.

And that's where we are today.

wow amazing build bro
    DISREGARD FEMALES ACQUIRE CURRENCY!

Comment

Badass... Cant wait to see it done..
      Originally posted by anth
      Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

<3 G50's. President front and rear make it look like a BOSS!!

Comment

this thread is teh awesome.

http://rivalhousegarage.com/

rivalhousegarage@gmail.com

Comment

Yeahhhhhhhhhh, once it's done don't change a single thing on it, this is lining up to be fucking epic.
            1988 Toyota MR2 Supercharged
            Stance:Nation Feature | Build Thread

Comment

Very cool I can't wait for more pics.
              www.slammered-inc.com

Comment

Hell ya, lookin fresh.

Comment

hells yeah...

vipstylecars
                  A low degree of height is a low degree of intelligence.

Comment

So dope!!! Always wanted a president done up VIP style.

Originally posted by FBGM View Post
                    wow amazing build bro
                    truth. I saw your car on craigslist today lol.

Comment

Sub-freakin'-scribed

Comment

I cant wait to see this completed, this looks an awsome build!

Comment

Wow, I really like this.

Comment

Love me some infinitis.....good looking ride
                            I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

Comment

My wife would shit she's wanted a president since she saaw one a canuck brought to golden gardens a few years ago. Where'd you source the panels?

** '88 mx73 cressida ** '89 s13 240sx **

Comment

Working...
                              X