50 Shades of Grey - MK6 Jetta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 Shades of Grey - MK6 Jetta

So I've had my 2012 Jetta 2.5 for a little over 3 years now and its gone through many stages that I've mostly documented on Vortex, but figured I'd make a thread on here as I move into the next stage with this car.

I originally leased the car after I first started working full time because my E36 was just too unreliable. My plan was to wait out the lease and get into a more desirable car afterwards such as an E92. Of course that simply didn't work, so here's the stages it went through. Keep in mind everything that was done to this car was done in the parking lot of my apartment with less than an ideal tool collection.

Stock:

V1: Raceland Coilovers, VMR V710 Hyper Silver
    Just wanted that clean OEM+ look for a while because it was still my daily and I wasn't used to the whole slammed thing.

V1.1:Powerder coated the wheels ugly green grey (I'm color blind)
    Wasn't a fan of the color and sold the wheels a week later

V2: ST Coilovers, Work VS-XX, Vinyl wrap (matte metallic gunmetal)
    I used to really like reverse lips and found a set of 17" works with a nicely done metallic silver centers with brushed face. The racelands had to go, one blew on me and I wanted to go lower anyway. Found the ST's and threw those in.

V2.1: Frankenstein Coilovers
    Swapped out the rear ST springs for MK4 raceland ultimo springs. Those went really low in the rear but then the front was the limiting factor.

V2.2: Frankenstein Coilovers
    Shaved 2 of the dead coils off the front ST's. Turned them down so that they would seat well too.

V2.3: Frankenstein Coilovers
    Swapped the ST front struts for FK Silverlines, took out the helper spring and removed a couple inches of rubber and grinded down the bottom of the strut. At this point my subframe was 1/8" off the ground and driving sucked.

Static on 17's

V3: Air Ride
    I finally caved and bagged the car right before H2O 2013.

V3.1: CCW's
    I got back from H2O and traded my Work wheels for some agressive 18x9.5, 18x10 CCW LM20's. Wheels were a brushed bright clear anodized face, polished lips, and gold plated ARP hardware.

V4: New wrap (grey again, different shade), GLI bumpers, Suede headliner
    I acquired some GLI bumpers over the winter, shaved the reflectors/rear emblem, and re-wrapped the car in a satin aluminum right before SoWo 2014. My headliner had been out of the car all winter and half-assed suede wrapped it before H2O just to put it back in.

V4.1: Rebuilt CCW's, Bride Seats
    As if the LM20's weren't agressive enough for the MK6 platform, I rebuilt them to 18x10.5 w/4" lip up front and 18x11 w/ 4.5" lip in rear. Also came across a set of Bride GIAS seats and put those in. Still not even sure if they're real and don't care, I want to replace with Status seats anyway.

As you can tell, I like silver, grey and black and haven't really introduced any color in this car except for the tacky red headliner which is coming out. It's now spring 2015 and I haven't touched the car since early last summer. It's still my daily and its taken a serious beating because of it. Burned vinyl, oxidized lips since I ran them all winter, sagging headliner, messed up fenders. My interest has been drawn towards working on older European cars lately (see my '75 Mercedes & '34 Rolls Royce projects) but I'd like to go back and take this project to a new level.

My original plans included Haldex swap and 2.5T build, but now I'm leaning away from the turbo and more towards just the AWD swap cause I'd rather put all the performance money into buying a more fun daily. I'd still do an IE intake mani though (would need to finish converting hydraulic power steering to electric to make it fit) and a few other things here and there to bring it up into the mid 200's for power.

As far as looks go, I'll be re-wrapping the car again next month before SoWo a Frozen Black Chrome which is more like a really dark satin metallic grey. Considering re-lipping the rear wheels with 6" lips to make them 18x13" and 5" up front for 18x11" (would change out the barrels for this configuration). I would do a simple and clean flare if that were the case. Nothing wild in looks, just enough to fit the wheels and some meaty tires. I'm sick of stretched tires, I want a fat Toyo R888 to have some fun with this car.

Benz, Rolls, and now you're starting another thread for this?? How do you keep everything in your head straight hahaah

Silk Blue MK6 Jetta build
    Instagram: @justmarshallgiles

Comment

Originally posted by ramong24 View Post
      Benz, Rolls, and now you're starting another thread for this?? How do you keep everything in your head straight hahaah
      Good question, its giving me a headache. I wanted to forget about this car, but I just can't haha

Comment

Love all the cars. Real quality work here

Comment

Damn man another MK6 Jetta. You guys are going to make me wanna get crazy with my ride! Good car and you just took it another notch man! Bigups!

Comment

It's like you're a juggler with 10 balls of awesomeness all in the air at the same time.
            Steve - now in San Diego!

Shoot My Car - Automotive Photography in SoCal

Comment

I gotta say, you have some crazy builds going on .. all at the same time. This is very tastefully modded - well done.

Comment

so clean, i love it.

Instagram: ian_ballzz

e30 build thread

Comment

Super clean. Let's see some interior shots!

Comment

Wait where did this car come from

Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Dude, you have the best builds <3
                      Instagram: @Lhottekins

Comment

This is super clean, I love that look!

I see you're in CT (I'm in RI) where'd you get your wrap done? And how durable is it? I'm thinking of wrapping my daily in a similar color and am curious about it all

Comment

Originally posted by readfrost View Post
                          This is super clean, I love that look!

I see you're in CT (I'm in RI) where'd you get your wrap done? And how durable is it? I'm thinking of wrapping my daily in a similar color and am curious about it all
                          I wrap it myself each time, about to wrap it for the third time this month. Its durable, but you need to clean it often enough. I went all summer last year without actually cleaning it and go these weird baked in dirt spots from the sun it looks like.

Comment

Was it at SOWO?
                            95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Follow me on instagram: earlmeyeriii

Comment

Looks really good. Funny; I just bought my 2012 Jetta 2.5 for the same reason.
                              E36 クラウンヒル - A Clash

My build thread.
                              IG: miguel.glc

Comment

Working...
                              X