Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another FC 5.0 "race car" thread!

9/10/16 car is officially sold, I had to call it quits

Hey everyone, much like Teeson1111 on here I am cobbling together an FC RX7 that will be 5.0 powered. BTW, I put race car in quotes for my thread because I have no idea if I'll actually end up racing it haha. I'm hoping to learn to drift in it, or if I don't like it or am horrible at drifting then it'll just be a stanced out street machine I've been into cars for about 10 years (I'm 22 now, began REALLY looking at cars at 12) and I started with my dad working on muscle cars. I've owned a 71 Nova project that I never finished, my first daily was a 69 Beetle that was about as hacked as any other teenagers car, my daily now that I've had for a few years is my 04 WRX and my two side projects are my FC and my 62 ragtop Beetle. I have pretty eclectic tastes. There was also an 86 Nissan PU that I got from my father in law for free that I was going to do some stuff to but ended up ****** the z24i engine with a passion. Well specifically, I ***** the ignition, ECU and fuel injection system. Anyways...

Here's a little history on the FC. My coworker buddy bought the car originally, it's a Turbo 2 but when he got it one of the rotors refused to fire. He likes rotories but not enough to spend too much effort or money on getting them running right. Plus, he really wanted a car to do an LS swap into. He sold the engine and trans and gutted a fair amount of the interior, bought Hinson swap mounts and bought a super clean black S5 n/a FC for a daily. He's ADHD as hell with cars so he offered to sell me the project turbo 2 shell. I said sure and immediately looked into v8 swaps. Sorry rotary guys, I really do love the rotary and how they feel and drive but I wanted some v8 action in my life. I saw the cost of a T56 transmission and realized no way am I going to afford that. So my buddy tells me as he's dropping off the shell that the 5.0 swap is super easy and affordable...so here we are!

The car was pretty stripped in the engine bay and interior, but it's got a bolt in 4 point cage (may be utilized to build into a bigger weld in cage, or sold to pay for moar cage), what appears to be the original S4 clutch type LSD, turbo 2 brakes and has a pretty straight body. It's been stitch welded too, I haven't checked all the seams yet but the welds appear to be decent and I don't think he missed many areas. Also came with a collection of Hoonigan stickers on it...

I'm going to try to keep a running total of what I've spent on the car...as much as it might sicken me:
    Turbo 2 shell: $750
    94 Mustang GT 5.0 + ECU: $350
    MAF with housing: $30
    Fox body T5 and bellhousing: $200
    S5 tails in bad shape: my S4 tails + $25
    BUNCH of interior bits I was missing (dunno if I'll go full interior or not): $100
    Pair of 18x8 Drag DR-31s that might be used if I can find another cheap pair for a full set: $50

Engine is very close to complete, missing the TPS, IAT and 02 sensors and trans appears to just be missing speed sensor and shifter.

Here is the car BEFORE I OWNED IT, IT DOESN'T HAVE THE RPF1s ON IT AND IT'S ON STOCK SPRINGS

AGAIN, THIS IS NOT HOW I GOT THE CAR! The car is all the same in this pic sitting on the side of my garage as we speak except the wheels and suspension. I wanted my buddy to throw them in, but he threw them on his other FC. I don't blame him.

So far I have done nothing to the car itself, but I have yanked the engine apart to pieces. This is how it sits as of tonight:

Here's one of the heads, notice my light to help cure the paint a bit. That light gets unbelievably hot!

And here's an overall shot of half the garage (it's nearly a 3 car wide garage with 2 single car doors). It's messy, sorry! Also pictured is my 62 ragtop, which is way more rusty and ugly in person and up close

So far that's about all I've gotten done is engine teardown. Both heads are painted up, hoping to get the block done in the next week or so. The alternator is completely dismantled, I'll be rebuilding it before I put it back on just for cheap insurance. The intake, valve covers, alternator and accessory brackets will all be powdercoated once I can get the extra cash. Then the motor will be reassembled and the real fun will begin!

My simplified plans are: Krylon-rebuild the engine, pull apart and re-seal T5, purchase Granny's swap brackets, make everything fit and work, buy coilovers, weld in current cage or get new one built and slap some high quality XXR wheels on it or some equivalently cheap as all hell wheel.

Comments and questions welcomed, as I'm sure this is a horrendous initial post as I'm exhausted and ready for bed.

EDIT: random pic of the engine before dismantling:

A buddy and me had to pull the engine from the car...super sketchy. The guy had the car up on 4 Harbor Freight jack stands and it was on uneven gravel, not fun. The guy selling it hadn't pulled anything except the trans, but my buddy and I were able to pull the engine out and have it in the back of my dad's truck in under an hour and a half. It took a good half an hour just to drag the cherry picker with the engine attached to it through the gravel to where the truck was. Fun times, I bought him a burger at a local burger joint for payment.
    Last edited by Zach Thomas; 01-20-2014, 02:32 AM.

Looks promising so far.

I've had DR-31's for long time in 17x9+17 size(had 8 total), drifted on them to all hell and daily drove on them for good 2 years+(my friend is driving on them right now, so make that 3+years to be current). Best cheap wheels I've ever bought. Completely reliable, about 90% identical to the CR-Kai's(bit of design difference on the spoke, and the bolt holes aren't dual drilled on cr-kais and instead they have relief holes), hell they even weight the exact same. You can buy them new from Discount Tire Direct for decent price($50 for the pair is hard to beat on price you got them for..but new price is more like $130 or so/wheel)

Comment

I also have a 5.0 FC, ill throw some photos up for you to see lol. It is a ton of fun but I wish it fit under the stock hood. Might order the new Granny mounts and see how much lower it sits.

My favorite photo of the car

currently I am deployed overseas. When I get back I will be pulling the motor and trans to clean up and rebuild. I will be swapping all my parts to a cleaner shell and probably selling my Tein super drift coil overs for something new. Most likely PBM coils to match the rest of my suspension..

PBM all the way man. Cant wait to see more
      Last edited by LaMaR-; 01-20-2014, 08:41 AM.

Comment

In for this!

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

Originally posted by LaMaR- View Post
          I also have a 5.0 FC, ill throw some photos up for you to see lol. It is a ton of fun but I wish it fit under the stock hood. Might order the new Granny mounts and see how much lower it sits.

My favorite photo of the car

currently I am deployed overseas. When I get back I will be pulling the motor and trans to clean up and rebuild. I will be swapping all my parts to a cleaner shell and probably selling my Tein super drift coil overs for something new. Most likely PBM coils to match the rest of my suspension..

PBM all the way man. Cant wait to see more
          gimme your rear subframe stuff!
          Instagram: @B_OLSEN_
          1988 FC3s-LS3 track slut~in progress~
          1991 S13 Coupe-LS1 street beater
          2004 G35 Coupe track model-Work Wheels Static daily
          TUMBLR

Comment

Originally posted by RolledAndPulledG View Post
            you never drive your FC your all about that coupe now lol

Comment

mad-ass, thanks for the info! Coming from subie forums, it's always nice to know there are people out there that ACTUALLY have real world experience and not just internet knowledge

LaMaR, car looks like fun! It'd probably help too if you went to an SN95 intake. If I can't get mine to fit without cutting the exterior skin of the hood then I will happily rock it without a hood at all. Or if I can score a turbo 2 hood and it fits I'd go that route! I've heard good things about the PBM stuff, but suspension will be last meaning I'll likely have to buy parts even slower than I am now

Teeson1111, I have a feeling your car will be done much sooner than mine but hopefully I'll be able to at least help motivate you!
              Last edited by Zach Thomas; 01-21-2014, 02:38 AM.

Comment

SN95 aye, ill have to look into that. I didn't realize the T2 hood was a little higher, I might look into that as well. I really want it to fit under a hood next year, we shall see though. In my mind PBM is some of the best. When I get back from deployment I want to order their angle kit and then the Racefab brackets for dual rear calipers to run a hyrdo as well. Next home cycle is gonna be ridiculous lol

Comment

Sounds like you'll have you're hands full! I don't personally know if the turbo 2 hood fits any easier but from what I've read and been told it does give a little more room up top. And the SN95 is the lowest profile factory intake, not sure how much shorter it is than a Fox but apparently it's a noticeable difference. You can also get the intake milled down a little bit to help that much more

Comment

Sick project. In for this. American muscle and Japanese style, marriage made in heaven.

If you need any parts, my buddy is parting out a couple FCs. I think one is a base model.

Comment

Originally posted by LaMaR- View Post
                      Originally posted by RolledAndPulledG View Post
                      you never drive your FC your all about that coupe now lol
                      lol true that, Blake you not done any suspensions yet?

Originally posted by Zach Thomas View Post
                      Sounds like you'll have you're hands full! I don't personally know if the turbo 2 hood fits any easier but from what I've read and been told it does give a little more room up top. And the SN95 is the lowest profile factory intake, not sure how much shorter it is than a Fox but apparently it's a noticeable difference. You can also get the intake milled down a little bit to help that much more
                      the Sn95 is the lowest, but after mocking it all up I'm more concerned about the distributor hitting… anyone confirm the t2 hood has more room? makes sense with that scoop there
                      looks like you have a Edlebrock Performer intake? probably worth cutting in the hole for those extra ponies

car looks good btw Zach and Lamar

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

No picture updates, but just got the block painted up. I've been sick the last 3 weeks and helped a buddy outside all day in the 35 degree weather trying to fix the windshield wipers on his WRX (literally took us all day haha, but most the time was spent catching up) so not feeling too great. May have done a pretty awful job on painting the block, but I won't admit defeat until I look at it tomorrow once it's dry. Coming soon will be gasket set and reassembly of the longblock

BTW, to keep with my total costs:
                        3 cans of engine enamel - $20ish (only needed 2 to do heads + block)

Total so far: $1525

Feeling like I'm doing so-so on costs so far all things considered. Not the least amount spent, but not the most by any means. Really hoping to make some good progress on the engine this week and start pricing powdercoating for the engine bits.

Comment

Got a bit of cleanup to do in here. I mean, the whole car needs some clean up but the wiring is pretty hacked up in the engine bay. My buddy cut the engine harness when he sold the Turbo 2 since he was going to build a whole new harness and whoever owned the car before him messed up a bunch of wiring for whatever reason.

But I got my Granny's kit Scored it for $250 from a friend of a coworker who had supposedly used it in a twin turbo 5.0 FC that is now powered by a Mustang 2.3 turbo! Super excited to have the brackets, now I just need to order my gasket set and start reassembling the engine.

Current plan is seal up engine, test fit drivetrain in car and have a driveshaft made up, then pull everything back out to clean up the bay for final install. Hopefully that'll be accomplished within a few months

Used Granny's swap kit: $250
                          Total so far: $1775

Edit: also got a set of good condition S5 side molding for $90. Overpriced? I dunno. Necessary? Definitely not, but those simple little trim pieces plus the taillights and front and rear bumpers of the S5 make it look so much better!

Total so far: $1865
                          Last edited by Zach Thomas; 02-28-2014, 03:45 PM.

Comment

So I haven't made a whole lot of progress lately, but I did drop the engine in to start mocking everything up Still haven't replaced all the gaskets on the engine yet, so it's completely temporary. But I need to start doing some actual work on the car instead of spending money (considering my wife is spending 3k on an 05 CBR600 F4i tomorrow and I just blew $300 on front Brembo calipers for my WRX, time to save for a little while!).

Here's how she looks:

Wrinkle black VHT paint on the oil pan:

Mid process:

Set in place

I don't know if I have the newer or older Granny's kit, but I trimmed the inside of the hood and it looks like I might be able to shut it without spacers or anything else Granted I have not fully test fit the trans to the engine so we'll see what the engine sits like with the trans in all the way. Sway bar will definitely need to be relocated and I might have to hammer the oil pan slightly to give me a tiny bit more clearance between it and the steering rack.

Also did some race car work and pulled all the wiring out of the doors. Converted to manual windows as well This bad boy will ONLY have engine wiring, headlights, taillights, heater controls, sunroof wiring (might try to convert it to a manual setup), and maybe the rear defroster and power mirrors. That being said, there's a lot of wiring in the stock RX7 harness. It'll be fun stripping it all down/building/rebuilding a harness.

Cost add-up:
                            BBK 70mm throttle body with all sensors - $70

Total so far: $1935

BTW, I apologize for the horrendous quality of the photos. I'm lazy and only have my phone as a camera and the lighting in my garage is mediocre so I tried to cheat and use filters that fixed them up slightly. But all the photos it took were all pixelated and ugly.
                            Last edited by Zach Thomas; 04-24-2014, 02:51 PM.

Comment

glad to see progress!
                              hows the fit on the grannies kit? me and a local guy were comparing notes and there was quite a bit of fighting to get the engine in place..

I have a trick for my sunroof, ill have to explain with pics when i update next. taking the sunroof assembly from 50 lbs to about 6 lbs lol.

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

Working...
                              X