X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FC RX7 5.0 race car thread

IMG_1540

1987 RX7 and its getting a V8.

*Disclaimers:* Rotards, leave your harsh opinions at home. Love the rotaries, but this is not a rotary car anymore. Constructive thoughts are welcome, slander is not; I suck at taking pictures; I have no money but a lot of time; I wanna go drifting real bad.

I told my self I wouldn't start a build thread until something actually interesting happened, and well tomorrow we start the cage.

IMG_1340
    IMG_1329

So around a year ago my parents left town for the weekend. This normally means I buy a car (lol is kinda a coindence, but its happened multiple times) I found it on craigslist, got it for $450. The kid thought it needed a transmission and/or a clutch. I got it home to figure out that the slave was seeping and the clutch was out of fluid. If i had spotted that earlier I probably could've driven it home.

IMG_1342

Car was in great shape, needed some TLC, however the awful stereo install had to go asap. I hit my knee on those stupid door pods every time I got in and out.
    I believe its a GXL, it has the turbo brakes, a clutch LSD, power steering, power everything else, even A/C (which didn't work)

IMG_1343
    IMG_1344
    IMG_1346

Drove it for a bit and decided rotary was not for me. I love the idea of them, and in my head it should work better than pistons. Then when it wouldn't idle for more than 30 seconds at a time, and I decided to not invest any more energy into and look into other options. I wanted something easy, cheap and readily available. I did want to keep it mazda, or at least japanese. However I went parts shopping with my buddy who has a 5.0 fox mustang. Parts are dirt cheap, and I mean stupid cheap for the horsepower you get. They are also everywhere, and there are a lot of people who wrap them around trees, so parts where cheap and readily available. After a bit of research I learned doing the 302 swap would be laughably easy. I've yet to hear of a simpler cross-make engine swap. So the hunt began!

IMG_1531

Sold the old engine/tranny for near what I paid for the car, to a guy going to put it in a Datsun 510! (sick!)

This is where I made a slight mistake. Well even before that. I should have just driven it as is and make it work, start doing events and upgraded as I go. But instead I just took it really far apart and had all these plans to do cool stuff. But no money. I'm now still going to do cool stuff, but lol I should have planned that better. I've owned this car way to long to only have driven once, I'm barely familiar with it.
    /rant

Stripped it right down

IMG_1541
    IMG_1542

Sold stuff, threw a lot more out (interior was in rough shape)

IMG_1543

found some change

IMG_1544

kept the good bits

IMG_0004
    IMG_0011
    f1068096

Then stripped it down even further

IMG_0008
    IMG_0009

I have my buddies old mustang motor that needs head gaskets (or we hope thats all it needs). He built a 306 designated for turbo fox body awesomeness.
    Scored a T5 for $180! its even a word class rated for 225 ft-lbs. Got a swap kit on ebay for half price of a new one, and it even came with the aluminum driveshaft option!

Bought a bunch of leftover parts from various people and I now have 90% of what I need to make this work the way I want it to.
    The plan is as follows:

5.0 mustang engine long block
    Sn95 intake upper and lower
    Explorer front accessory setup (same as Sn95)
    Electric water pump (still figuring out what kind)
    3rd gen alternator (this will be the only thing on a belt)
    De-powered steering rack (I believe I have a 17:1 rack)
    TBA clutch setup
    Hydraulic clutch conversion
    All new wiring
    as much delrin/solid mount stuff I can get my hands on
    as much Lucky 10 stuff as I can afford
    stock e-brake for now
    JIC coils (used but were a steal)
    Dual master cylinder brake setup
    rebuild the stock calipers
    new pads/ rotors
    Formula D/SCCA solo 2 spec cage
    AN fittings e'erwhere
    probably use the stock Rx7 rad, unless I find out its not enough to keep it cool
    Big fat electric fan
    Momo Corse drivers seat, still working on a pass seat
    Crow harnessssssss
    Walbro 255
    NRG quick release (need some theft deterents here)
    Grip royal 'Hills'
    Custom gauge panels (i'll get to them in a minute)
    Going to Plastidip the entire car when done, I really dislike paint and body work, this way I can make the exterior rust proof but ugly, then just dip over it. goes on like 1.5mm thick, self levelling, easy to fix and weighs maybe a pound. can't loose.
    I'm forgetting some small things.

I've found the more research and planning I do the less money I spend.

Not sure on wheels yet...

Also probably going to get a Volvo lip and maybe shine skirts. Though I'd rather spend money on not body kits.

Onto today

f0835840
    f0870016
    f0885760
    f0917312
    f0928896
    f0955008
    f1008512
    f1046720

hood will be very close, but should clear

f0862720

Have a few things to fix while the welders busy

f0985920
    f0999424

DOM is bent and ready to go

f1056512

Now more on that custom gauge panel,
    So what we have here is the stock radio/climate bezel that I just added some 1/4" ABS to fill the space then sanded primed and painted to look like this:

IMG_0280
    IMG_0406
    IMG_0445
    f1159936

And the gauge cluster bezel got similar treatment

IMG_0281
    IMG_0416

Probably going to dye the dash black and flock it, the blue doesn't go with anything lol

And incase anyone asks the gauges are Faria Euro. They are boat gauges, I think they look great and very different. They're fairly accurate (not auto meter or anything), much cheaper, water proof and built for shock. Still need a big 5" tach...

That's all for now, I'll try and be diligent taking pictures of the cage build tomorrow.
    Last edited by Teeson1111; 03-12-2014, 07:21 PM.

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

I saw your probe thread and I saw your below your sig the rx7 5.0 and got giddy and this is much better than expected

Comment

my hero <3

IG: Nick475

Comment

Originally posted by axelillo_PR View Post
        I saw your probe thread and I saw your below your sig the rx7 5.0 and got giddy and this is much better than expected
        Haha thanx? what probe thread? I do have a probe, but no thread for it. lol its not likely to ever get a build thread.

Originally posted by Nick475 View Post
        my hero <3
        thanx!

small and disappointing update:
        My buddy (who's doing my welding) had his jeep blow out its rear caliper in the middle of last night. So fixing that bascially took all morning, which left about all of 3 hours to get started on the cage. Not a lot done, gonna go at it again in the evenings. i'll update when fun stuff has happened

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

Cool build I can't wait to see the updates. Btw I have a 5.0 fc as well lol and the hood doesn't clear on mine. Are you building custom mounts or are they the granny's kit?

Comment

Originally posted by LaMaR- View Post
            Cool build I can't wait to see the updates. Btw I have a 5.0 fc as well lol and the hood doesn't clear on mine. Are you building custom mounts or are they the granny's kit?
            Nope granny's kit. The engine already sits as close to the steering rack as can be, so I don't see a point to making new mounts.
            I'm going to be using a Sn95 intake manifold, they sit considerably lower than any other manifold. Disty will probably be a marine cap on a standard EFI disty. I'm expecting to have to trim the inside of the hood. I have seen this done successfully before, but when I want real power, im probably going to have to cut a hole :/

you have any pics or a build thread? I'd love to give it a read

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

I'm so jealous. V8 fc is my dream car. I hope to see jdm tails at some point as well.

God Bless dude
              God bless this mess

Comment

Let's be friends.

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

Originally posted by sawatsky View Post
                  I'm so jealous. V8 fc is my dream car. I hope to see jdm tails at some point as well.

God Bless dude
                  haha thanx!, and me too but the going rate for those S5 tails is a little high to be inevitably smashed into a wall for me.

Originally posted by FunfGang View Post
                  Let's be friends.
                  yes. Love your E30 sir. Carry on.

And I got the whole day off work tomorrow, so I should get some stuff done.

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

Update!

Started the de-powering of the steering rack, amidst helping a buddy do brakes on his Integra.
                    So first clean the mess my dad had left for me (well some of its mine) so I'd have somewhere to work

Before:

IMG_5228

After: (sorry for blurries)

IMG_5229

Then with my OCD taken care of, yank the the rack out of the car

IMG_5230

Take it all apart, holy cow were those tie rod ends on there. Same goes for the pin at the top of the column.

IMG_5231

It was also really grimy, so took care of that.

IMG_5232

Then I bathed the piece I'm going to try and weld to prevent slop. It's been in an oily environment so long theres a good chance the weld will be full of porosity.
                    Had to modify my bucket a little, which resulted in a mess on the counter :roll eyes

IMG_5233
                    IMG_5237

While I was busy cleaning things I pressure washed my T5, I should have taken a before shot. The bellhouse was at least a cm thick in grime, I couldn't touch any of it without getting my hands black. Fixed

IMG_5235

Then the scary part. Cutting off the seal without damaging anything else. Came out fine, no collateral

IMG_5236

While I wait for my buddy to have time to weld the steering column I continued chassis prep. Cut off and grinded away remnants of the seat mounts.

IMG_5238
                    IMG_5239

thats all for today.

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

Cool build I can't wait to see the updates.

Comment

update!

Crazy times, I've hardly been able to work on the car lately. But got a 12 hr day in on it today so theres some progress.

IMG_5246

Before that though I went to the ricer store with some friends. When in Rome...

IMG_5245

Got some plug like thingys for the steering rack to keep dust out, also have some grease nipples to weld/drill into the other line caps so I can grease the rack down the road.

By the way, I broke that stupid wire clip that holds the end of the steering rack on. The one that you have to spin out, anyone know where to get a new one? Dealer can't get them, even for a Miata. Edit: no luck at anywhere, found some wire that fit and made one

IMG_5244

Also got this welded all strong, my buddy said it was horrible to do. I soaked it in cleaner and heated it up but not quite hot as did he when he tig'd it; but there was still oils in it, which happens after steel has spent the better part of 20 years living in power steering fluid. Its strong, no one will see it (except everyone because this is the internet) so I'm happy with it.

And the best news is, I finally have some cage work happening! my buddy has been even busier than me so its been hard to find time to use his welder and skills.
                        I found this awesome coping calculator site (link) which makes coping so easy and cool. You basically enter your pipe dimensions and the angle your putting them together, print out the little template it gives you, cut it out, wrap it around the pipe (leave extra on the wrap ends to ensure its on the pipe straight) mark it and cut! I used a grinder with a cut off wheel and another with a flap disc. Takes some time but works well.

I made a bunch to template (and practice) so I have an idea before I cut the real deal.

IMG_5248

Works really good with some technique and patience, basically all the shape requires is a cut from either side, and a bit of shaping/smoothing.

IMG_5254

So I had my buddy do a trial piece or two to get an idea for power settings on his welder, tell me what you guys think, will we have issues with passing tech with these welds?

IMG_5249
                        IMG_5240

And finally some cage in the car, man this stuff is time consuming to do.

IMG_5255
                        IMG_5243

And the big news; I bought a motor assembly! I went to a yard that specializes in jeeps and mustangs, he had a 95 gt that looks like it smacked a curb good or something, bunch of BBK pieces on it, hadn't been pilaged yet. So I bought the whole engine, trans, all wiring, ECU, pedal assembly (long story), and everything currently attached to it. It should be able to pick it all up late next week, will update when that happens.
                        This is great because my welder buddy wants my T5, he can have his fox motor back, and I was basically using mostly Sn95 stuff anyway. And apparently the ECU's have better processors.

Winter is in full swing around here. The weather too
                        Last edited by Teeson1111; 03-12-2014, 07:30 PM.

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

Good. Keep it up.

Comment

Hmm, I always thought the fox body A9L computers were better. They take much more modifications without tuning. I've had a Fox and SN95 in my driveway and the fox seemed more simple and on point rather than the sputtering SN95. Anyway, sick build! I'll be sure to follow.
                            The only thing lower than my standards is my truck.

Build thread!!!

Comment

damn, thats going to be something sweet! subscribed FO.SHO.

Comment

Working...
                              X