Subaru Driftwagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subaru Driftwagon

So I've been wanting to build a drift car for some time, I want to learn how to drift on pavement. I've been doing it in snow for 6 years now, in all my previous subarus, and I know how to powerslide and do donuts, obviously, but I've never actually gone out and tried to hold a drift. I've always been too scared of crashing or bumping into something, because the only rwd car I have is my 1974 Gran Torino,and that's a nightmare sideways. Well I just fixed that by buying a 2000 Subaru Outback.
    I know, I know, it's awd. In the spring once this snow goes away, I'm welding the center diff, taking out the axles, and welding the rear diff. Gonna be a blast.
    The day I got it

Went out snow drifting with a whole crew of drift kids Saturday night, my first time going out with anybody but myself. Was such a blast! Got my first battle scar when my buddy tapped my rear bumper. I got a bit too sideways and started to slide off the road, my friend was sideways in his chevy truck and hit me. Just some cracked paint. I also curbed a wheel while sideways, but not bad, just has a very slight flat spot, vibrates at 55 I tried some tandem drifting and it was a blast. We also got the cops called. The cop was super cool about it though. He told us to find a better parking lot where nobody would call the cops and have fun and be safe. He even said he wishes the new cars were rwd cuz they were more fun in the snow. I blew a 180 in front of him because my rear window was covered in snow and I didn't see him come up behind me, he didn't even have his lights on and didn't ask for my license. Coolest cop I have ever encountered.

I've done a few mods to the car since I got it, I fully gutted the interior, the only pieces of the stock interior left is the front seats and the steering wheel. No dash, no passenger airing, driver airbag is getting removed soon. I went as far as scraping up 60% of the tar sound deadening. I plan on peeling up the rest. It peels right up in the cold. There's two heavy steel plates under the sound deadening designed for vibration dampening, they weigh like 4 or 5 pounds each. I took them out as well. I stuck a pin though my e-brake button and lengthened the lever, as a temporary drift brake. I also replaced
    the muffler with straight pipe, and installed a cheap cone filter entirely for noise, since there's no power gain.

Upcoming mods will be lighter steering wheel, no quick release because idc to have it, and a hydro ebrake. Gonna be so much nicer to be able to just lock the wheels. Also want a non-power seat or a racing seat. I wonder if I can convert the outback front doors to manual windows? I also want to lexan everything behind the driver's windows, and weld the rear door skins to the body and cut out the frame inside the doors.

Can't wait until springtime and rwd.
    After Gutting It

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Dis gon' be good.

Looking forward to progress.
    BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
    Originally posted by Ollie
    We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

I have one of these. They're fun in the snow but have no power, especially with the weight of the wagon chassis. Is this going to be a daily? Good luck with the build.

2001 BMW 560i 6.0 LSx/T56 SOLD

2000 Corvette Hardtop FRC

Comment

Cool build idea man! Can't wait to see this converted. How's the steering angle on the outback? Angle sucks on my Camaro, but I still slide it for fun haha
        I don't belong here...

1996 Camaro RS
        1980 Camaro

Comment

start stacking axles and difs, theyre twigs in that car. also id advise against getting a hydro tll you convert it, ebrake turns with a center diff are a bad idea.
          FUEL INJECTED SUICIDE MACHINE

Comment

I already have 3 sets of axles and 3 diffs waiting for me, and no it won't be a daily. I have my 74 torino and my girlfriend's 01 outback as daily's. And yeah I'm going to wait to install that hydro until I do the switch, since there's no real point in having it for the winter anyway. Steering angle isn't great, but I'm brainstorming ideas on modifying the spindle, there's a guy on a subie forum who modifies his and gets a fair amount of extra lock, and he's been making several.

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Comment

my mates legacy wagon is rwd converted aswell. hes loving the over steer!
              New Zealand thread: http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=22785

Comment

In fo this, gonna be rad.

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

Originally posted by FunfGang View Post
                  In fo this, gonna be rad.
                  second that
                  instagram: willlarney
                  big dumb e39 build

Comment

so stoked, this looks mad.
                    sigpic
                    I like big butts and I cannot Lie.

Comment

Installed my hydro! In the snow it works like a champ. Might still have an air bubble in the line, but pedal feel is nice and firm. My brother git me a lightweight steering wheel for it for Xmas, should be here in a couple days. Been having a lot of fun in the snow, Thursday night I put like 80 miles on my car just snow drifting around town. Was out for 3.5 to 4 hours. And my girlfriend got me a gopro for Xmas! So there will be snow drifting videos soon.

Comment

can you elaborate on the hydro setup?

2001 BMW 560i 6.0 LSx/T56 SOLD

2000 Corvette Hardtop FRC

Comment

I don't know why but I like the silly happening here. Carry on.
                          Sup. Call me Z.
                          My Accord "build".

Comment

My girlfriend drives one of these... grossly underpowered, but super comfortable, unless you gut it of course...
                            1973 Turbo 4G63 Mitsubishi Galant Stationwagon
                            Follow me on Instagram: @incorporatedx

Comment

Put a wrx turbo on it! Then replace it with a cummins turbo then make powahhhhh!
                              "Nord's armor has lots of fur. This sometimes makes M'aiq nervous." -M'aiq The Liar

THIS GL-10 IS PRETTY COOL!

Stay up to date with my '86 Subaru GL-10 build on Instagram with @billytheboobaru

"At least if your car is going to die, might as well die under WOT giving it the beans"

Comment

Working...
                              X