Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Archie's 1JZ truck. Don't hold your breath.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archie's 1JZ truck. Don't hold your breath.

Hey, so I'm gonna start a build for my long-term project.
    To give you a bit of background, this is my daily, 97 Holden Rodeo, bought it as my first car in '06, bog stock. We've had some ups and downs, and I love it to bits, but it's time to take things up a notch. The bottom photo is as it sits now, cracking sumps on a set of 16x8 Rays P-Volks, with the plaque stating they were made in '92. Probably my most prized possession right now, and the first set of real wheels I've owned.

The thingy in the back is a crane for my wheelchair, I'm restricted to driving an auto truck of some description, because I need to carry my chair in the back, and I don't do clutch pedals.

Anyway, a couple of years ago I got myself a project.

$8500 bought me a farm spec 1990 Rodeo with 300xxx k's, a mis-matched alloy tray, a bench seat in the front and a free Fear Factory CD in the head unit.

... and a fairly fresh, single-turbo vvti 1JZ under the bonnet.

It's auto of course, running an ebay turbo, Power FC, upgraded fuel pump and injectors of unknown size, and it made 268rwhp on 17psi with a dodgy tune and a horrible exhaust (clogged cat, close to 90-degree bends in it).

It's a start.

Swapped the stock buckets from my daily into it, so I could take a corner without sliding across to the driver's side.

Got sick of looking at the hand controller for speed readout, got me a speedo (I live in a rural town about 600km north of Brisbane, the shop only had this 300km speedo in stock).

Trans cooler is going to end up smashed, I just know it.

Sacked it, flipped leafs, tortion bars wound down, zero dollars spent, worst ride quality ever, zero surprises there.

Also got a styleside tub.

Since then, Ive done little bits here and there, but I'm really just biding my time.

Gave it a paint job, with a $40 electric spray gun. Rattle cans would have come out better, but you live and learn. Got a purpose-built front bar from Stillen in the US, noone here has ever seen one before. So stoked with it. Also some fresh d-window steelies, 17x9, zero offset. Load-rated tyres on the back cos the 5-0 are anal about that in my town. Here's how it sits now.

Put a camel on the side, cos I grew up in Alice Springs in the dead centre of Australia. So the desert is in my blood. Or something. My buddy took it for a drive to the seaside. The windscreen wipers come on when you boost it.

This thing purrs around town, and doesn't mind being thrashed on private roads... But it has some serious electrical issues. Im thinking of getting the whole thing rewired and probably ditching the Power FC for a Haltech.

Plans are being put into motion for coilovers all round, hopefully an S13 IRS grafted into the rear, big brakes, 5-stud conversion for rim choice, a proper coat of paint, put my wheelchair crane in the back and daily the shit out of it.

The next pics I upload will hopefully be of it sitting on a chassis bench, prepped for suspension surgery.

Progress is slow because I can't do too much of the work on this thing myself, but bear with me. I'd love to hear your thoughts, and I'm probably gonna need your advice/help/criticism/shoulder to cry on down the track.

Much love,

Archie
    Last edited by archie.; 04-07-2014, 06:21 PM.

Visit my build, that would be super good of you to do.

be my instagram friend: archiediplomat

have a look at the shirts I do: www.diplomatthreads.com.au

Wow. Just blew my KA out of the water, haha. What did you do electrically to get the two harnesses to agree exactly? I also debated an s13 IRS, i've seen hardbody guys do it.I just want to 4-link the rear end instead. That 40$ paint setup looks pretty good, I wouldn't be mad at that.
    The only thing lower than my standards is my truck.

Build thread!!!

Comment

I bought it with the conversion done, whoever did it cut some corners with the auto-electrical side of things though. It has one constant power circuit for everything, so if i blow a cabin light fuse, the ECU doesn't get power. Dodgy shit like that is the reason I want to rip all the wiring out and get it fully redone by someone who really knows their shit, ie not me. I've got a mate further north who's got a spacecab one of these with a coilover/4-link setup. Slides it all day long, it's bodydropped with a turbo LS1 in it. fkn insaneeee.

Comment

I like where this is going, always a pain when wiring is done like that tho.
        Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Hell yeah dude mad respect! love you're truck those numbers are impressive for an auto. Do you drive with full handcontrols ? Why are you in a wheelchair. Im a T8 paraplegic myself I was injured back in 2004 when I was 16. Love seeing another person in a chair rocking a slammed/ stanced whip. Even if you are half way around the world. Im not alone ! Even more stoked that you do most of your work. I also do most all my work on my car, that is why my build is so damn slow. LOL
          Last edited by SD202; 04-16-2013, 10:29 AM.
          C280 Build Thread
          C43 ///AMG Build Thread
          E320 Wagon Build Thread

Follow me on Instagram:@SD_210

Comment

God I love how many minitrucks this site is getting! Looks good man!
            When in doubt, cut it out...
            http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=39445 <<<<<<< Check out my BUILD!!!!

Comment

I love this thing so much

Comment

Originally posted by SD202 View Post
                Hell yeah dude mad respect! love you're truck those numbers are impressive for an auto. Do you drive with full handcontrols ? Why are you in a wheelchair. Im a T8 paraplegic myself I was injured back in 2004 when I was 16. Love seeing another person in a chair rocking a slammed/ stanced whip. Even if you are half way around the world. Im not alone ! Even more stoked that you do most of your work. I also do most all my work on my car, that is why my build is so damn slow. LOL
                Thanks mate, I've got a genetic muscle weakness, so I've had an electric wheelchair all my life. I can drive a standard auto, like with foot pedals, but I dont have the strength to use a normal clutch. One day I'd love something with a robotized manual, m3 style, but until then I'll probably just tweak the auto so it's a bit sharper. Half the reason my cars all have to be low is so I can transfer easily to the driver's seat from my chair. The authorities in my state don't really think this is an acceptable reason to go below the mandatory 100mm of minimum ground clearance. So at 43mm, my daily gets me in just as much trouble with the police as it does with speedbumps. Im looking at building this thing on coilovers partly so it handles well and partly so I can just "wind it up" if I need to keep my head down for a while. The aim is to have it all engineered and mod-plated too, so that should get me some brownie points if and when I get pulled over.

I just had a look at your build thread, the merc sits so perfect, love it. Your roads over in California must be so smooth compared to ours haha. I've got twice the ground clearance you do and I've already destroyed 2 oil pans

Comment

Love it! So cool to see people in wheelchairs doing big things in the car scene(I hope that doesn't come off as offensive or rude, it's just a very rare thing)!

Looking forward to progress, sounds like the wiring issues may be handful, but definately a cool truck none the less. Is the plan to eventually merge the two trucks to one, or keep the daily a daily and this the "project" truck?

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

Wow, this is insane! Very nice job man I'd love to own one of these.

My build thread>http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=31670

Sparkin CB7

Comment

Originally posted by FunfGang View Post
                      Love it! So cool to see people in wheelchairs doing big things in the car scene(I hope that doesn't come off as offensive or rude, it's just a very rare thing)!

Looking forward to progress, sounds like the wiring issues may be handful, but definately a cool truck none the less. Is the plan to eventually merge the two trucks to one, or keep the daily a daily and this the "project" truck?
                      Cheers mate, as it's hard for me to get down under the car, I've gotta credit a lot of the work to some pretty amazing mates, Im really just the creative director and money-pit. I do any interior and electrical stuff that I can though.

The plan is to sell the daily as soon as the 1JZ is on the road with its new suspension. I'm planning on moving to Brisbane next year and possibly studying engineering, so it will need to be rolling before then, cos there's no way Id be able to afford 2 cars on a student budget.

Comment

Originally posted by archie. View Post
                        Cheers mate, as it's hard for me to get down under the car, I've gotta credit a lot of the work to some pretty amazing mates, Im really just the creative director and money-pit. I do any interior and electrical stuff that I can though.

The plan is to sell the daily as soon as the 1JZ is on the road with its new suspension. I'm planning on moving to Brisbane next year and possibly studying engineering, so it will need to be rolling before then, cos there's no way Id be able to afford 2 cars on a student budget.
                        Fair enough, I can understand that! Always good to have some great friends.

Ah I see, sounds like a plan. Best of luck with it, I'll definitely be watching.

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

Im loving all the truck action on here in the last couple of months!

Any pics of that ls1 drift truck?!?!

Instagram - @choadyhighroller
                          Originally posted by nickskater09
                          I think Jody, along with Ashton, like to push the line between "street legal" and "realistically driveable".

Comment

I can do better than that, here's the build thread. prepare to fap yourself raw.

Comment

Originally posted by archie. View Post
                              Thanks mate, I've got a genetic muscle weakness, so I've had an electric wheelchair all my life. I can drive a standard auto, like with foot pedals, but I dont have the strength to use a normal clutch. One day I'd love something with a robotized manual, m3 style, but until then I'll probably just tweak the auto so it's a bit sharper. Half the reason my cars all have to be low is so I can transfer easily to the driver's seat from my chair. The authorities in my state don't really think this is an acceptable reason to go below the mandatory 100mm of minimum ground clearance. So at 43mm, my daily gets me in just as much trouble with the police as it does with speedbumps. Im looking at building this thing on coilovers partly so it handles well and partly so I can just "wind it up" if I need to keep my head down for a while. The aim is to have it all engineered and mod-plated too, so that should get me some brownie points if and when I get pulled over.

I just had a look at your build thread, the merc sits so perfect, love it. Your roads over in California must be so smooth compared to ours haha. I've got twice the ground clearance you do and I've already destroyed 2 oil pans
                              I like to keep my car low for ease of transfer also. Being that im a low level paraplegic I dont need transfer boards or any of that garbage. I used to drive a Chevy s10 4x4 which was hard to get in and out of. The roads here in CA are complete garbage. Our road maintenance dept is run by our cash strapped state. they literally fix nothing Our roads were rated amongst the top ten worst roads in the US. San Diego itself ranked #8 worst roads. Its based on how many roads need repair vs how many have been fixed. Luckily the lowest part of my car is not the oil pan. However the catalytic converters are. And in this state we need them in place to pass smog test. without that you cannot register the car. I have gone through 2 cats so far. For cats that are obd2 and CA approved for smog cost upwards of $1200 for both. Anyway back to your truck. I have wanted to run a manual since day one. But it just seems very costly. Have you looked into sequentially shifted manuals ? or a dogbox ? like a clutchless 6 speed ?
                              C280 Build Thread
                              C43 ///AMG Build Thread
                              E320 Wagon Build Thread

Follow me on Instagram:@SD_210

Comment

Working...
                              X