People still build E36s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People still build E36s?

Wow. Its been awhile since I've actually posted here. That being said maybe some of you remember my S10

Well if you do, and actually read anything on that thread then you know that the entire time I put that truck together I wanted an E36. After awhile I convinced myself to build a drift car and what better choice than an E36, right? Time to fill in about a years worth pictures, and 3 E36s later.

I picked up this 94 325is in April 2017 after realizing that the 98 M3 I owned was way too far gone to fix up and make something clean out of. I picked this up for $800 literally needing nothing, the car had no rust but was missing most of the interior. Brought it back home and started here.

I was able to use a lot of parts off the M3 I owned like glass headlights and a few other odds and ends. Also found a M3 bumper for $50 haggardly spray painted, but didn't take any pictures of it of course. At this point I was preparing for a drift event in June and basically had a month to get it put together. I had already been ordering a lot of parts on the side and had most of it ready to install.

Found a spare subframe with 3.91 diff locally for $100

Stripped it down of its bushings, arms, and diff

Prepped it up for paint with a wire wheel

Did the same to the upper control arms

Used a rust inhibitor to try and save the spots I wasn't able to get with the wire wheel

The knuckles you see were off the M3 I had and parted, they were cut and shortened to increase angle

Let the paint dry then scuffed them up to prime and paint them.

I chose silver honestly because I just prefer the clean look to it and feel it suited the car better some reason?

Condor bushings installed

Picked up some BC coilovers with 8k/12k rates

Teardown phase begins

Old subframe out

Picked up some OEM M3 subframe reinforcement plates and had a friend weld them in for me

Took the time to clean under the car and undercoat it

Before

After

Painted

Originally planned to install the M3's trailing arm and axle setup but due to time and budget constraints I kept the original setup.

Installed condor bushings

Started the installation of the subframe

Resealed the diff and painted the cover

Sealed

Diff in

More to come

@fackinsteve ; fackin build thread :
    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ill-build-E36s

Nice start to the thread!
    Current Car: 04 Ford Focus SVT

Founder of CleanCarCulture!
    www.CleanCarCulture.com

Www.facebook.com/CleanCarCulture

Always on the look out for feature cars in NorCal, Maine, Kansas and Florida. Want to become part of the CleanCarCulture team? Use the contact form on our website!

Comment

He's back!
      [CENTER][url=http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66924][color=red]e28 build thread[/color] [/url]
      [img]http://i.imgur.com/hNTlNvf.jpg?2[/img]
      Instagram: [url=https://instagram.com/divingboardlord/][color=red]@divingboardlord[/color][/url][/CENTER]

Comment

i've said it before, and i will say it again... Fackin good work Steve!!!

Really glad you made a thread on here for the 36 man!!
        Instagram - Benwalsh91

Comment

BOOM!!! Love it mate
          My BMW E36 318ti Steel Blue Compact build thread -
          http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88271

Comment

Priorities set right over here
            Lucas
            Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
            Originally posted by LCG
            High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

That's one good start for a buildup!

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

I was just reading through your thread over on bimmerforums, glad to see it over here
                Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Great start! Love that your paying close attention to detail and doing things right!

"Emmaline" B8.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro 6MT Build Thread
                  "Ophelia" MK7.5 Volkswagen GTI SE Performance 6MT Build Thread

MKIV Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0 5MT Coming Soon to a Forum Near You

RIP "Effy" E60 BMW 530xi 6MT [N52] Build Thread
                  SOLD"Adéline"B5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT Build Thread

Comment

Gang! Can't wait to see where this goes Steve.

Comment

This is good, can't wait to see more!
                      Instagram: @Eurow

Comment

Wow thank you all for the warm words! I want to make one thing clear here however, I definitely don't work as fast as these pictures may lead you on to think haha. With that being said lets continue where we left off.

The rear of the car was essentially done at this point and it was time to move onto the front of the car. I had kept the front subframe from the M3 because it had the inserts for the x-brace that maybe one day I will acquire. It also had E46 control arms and condor engine mounts stuffed in there too so I figured it would be easier just to swap it all as one unit.

Crossmember out

Cleaned up the rack and subframe a bit. I should've done more research however though because i stuck with the 98 M3 rack which I think is actually one of the slowest ratio racks these cars came with.

Ready for install

Installed with one new LCA because I destroyed the threads on the original one, also seen are the AKG conversion bushings I was left with on the M3 aswell

Threw the hubs on, tested out the lock.

More lock testing

Was ready to install the new power steering lines and reservoir as the original ones to my car had pretty much given up on holding fluid

Ordered new hubs

I'm a sucker for OEM BMW parts, I get a great discount through my work so a lot of things were replaced with original equipment

Brakes all together with braided lines

Threw the wheel on to see what I actually could use from the knuckles I had

For those who are interested, this setup included M3 front struts, sway bar links, knuckles, brakes etc, with E46 lower control arm. The knuckles were modified to re use the original length tie rods, a lot more lock could be achieved with a non-M swaybar link but at that point you will be rubbing your wheel on the arm itself. For a beginner like myself, this is more than plenty of angle.

Replaced my trans mounts with these aluminum ones, I plan on replacing these with normal height mounts

And after a month of a ton of long nights working at the shop I got to put this thing on the ground

After a quick trip to my work to get an alignment I headed off to finish the car up. Nothing noteworthy just to make sure it would pass the tech inspection. 4 hours of sleep later I woke up at 4am and headed to the shop to take it on its real maiden voyage. I had yet to drive this car at all besides a 5 minute ride to work and back. Friend of mine chased me in my daily and snagged a roller for me

We had to do some not so noteworthy stuff to the fenders to fit the way oversized tires I had on there. But it was driving.

More to come

@fackinsteve ; fackin build thread :
                        http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ill-build-E36s

Comment

i really like it, and i really like the SE bumpers on this.

is that the bottom part of the front "fender" dragging on the floor?
                          Instagram - Benwalsh91

Comment

Nice E36 man, I really like the stance you ended up with.

Comment

I am much excite

Comment

Working...
                              X