Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 19birel's Silber-Grau BMW E60 Progression Thread

Default 19birel's Silber-Grau BMW E60 Progression Thread

Introduction

Hey everyone, some of you may remember my previous "daily driver" build where I breathed some new life into a non-running $900 B5 Audi A4.

Before:
    IMG_2007 by Ayrton @ Drive19, on Flickr

After:

a4 (1 of 1)-18 by Ayrton @ Drive19, on Flickr

While I loved the car it was more of a project than a daily (and the car I actually daily'd was meant to be my project), and then it failed inspection a couple months ago and all said and done it would cost me about $1k in parts to fix as much of the suspension needed replaced. While it did mean that I'd finally have coilovers and a few other nice mods, having $5k into a $3k car that was 18years old and far from where I wanted it just didn't feel right. I found a couple other cars I was interested in and then posted the B5 up for sale and within a couple hours someone had committed to buying it. Then, a week later I got a call from a co-worker saying that a customer was looking to sell his 530xi, the next day I drove it home from the guy's house

Here are the details and some pics

2007 BMW 530xi, 6MT, 164k miles (at time of purchase), purchased from original owner who was a former 4x superbowl winning NFL player, was a special order european delivery, full service history at BMW dealership. The car has adaptive Xenon headlights, sport package, cold weather package, premium dakota leather, BMW Individual Anthracite Maple interior trim etc. etc. etc. I also got a set of OEM winter wheels with tyres included in the deal.

bmwspring (1 of 1)-4 by Ayrton @ Drive19, on Flickr

Untitled by Ayrton @ Drive19, on Flickr

bmwspring (1 of 1)-2 by Ayrton @ Drive19, on Flickr

*note these interior pics are from right after I picked up the car, I have since detailed it.

The E60 is such an upgrade over my old B5, and I got such a deal on it acquiring this car has more than made up for the loss I took on the B5. I love the silky smoothness of the inline six, the comfort, and the driving dynamics, honestly couldn't be happier. My plans for the car are tackle any and all maintenance and then do a few OEM+ mods to really make it my own, and I've already gotten started.

Current Progress

First, the po had mentioned that the car was burning a little oil, so I replaced the oil separator and all the crank case ventilation hoses

Next was chasing down a slight misfire at high rpm, first I replaced all 6 coilpacks and then an injector and now the issue is gone and no more codes. I also picked up a sweet ZHP M-Performance shift knob.

Maintenance Checklist
    Oil Separator /CCV hoses X

Ignition Coils X

Replace Faulty Injector X

Moonroof weatherseal

Paint Touchup X

Mod Wishlist
    ZHP Shift knob X

M5 titanium iDrive knob

Rear sway bar

LED Angel Eyes?

Wheel spacers?

By next weekend my maintenance list should be complete, now just debating whether or not I want LED angel eyes (they are white or whiteish blue instead of yellow) and if I want to bother with spacers on the stock wheels. I have some other ideas and plans lined up, but I'll save those for later. If you guys have any suggestions for it, let me know, stay tuned!
    Last edited by 19birel; 01-19-2018 at 07:10 PM.

E60 BMW 530xi 6MT [N52] Build Thread
    MKIV Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0 5MT Coming Soon to a Forum Near You

SOLDB5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT Build Thread

IMHO yellow angel eyes look better.
    Other mods? Maybe soft close or auto boot open? Bumpers from M5?

Nice car, waiting for other mods.

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    IMHO yellow angel eyes look better.
    Other mods? Maybe soft close or auto boot open? Bumpers from M5?

Nice car, waiting for other mods.
    Thanks! Yeah, I'm on the fence about LED angel eyes, I like how they can been seen during the day, but I do really like the stock yellow. Softclose doors would be a very involved retrofit and not really worth it to me, auto boot open is already fitted as standard.

I've been looking at different lip, skirt, and spoiler options for it, wheels, and also considering LCI taillights, just have to figure out what order I want to do things in. I have a few smaller mods in the works though,hopefully they'll materialize in a week or so.

Long time without an update, been mostly just driving and enjoying the car, but I have done a few things here and there.

First, I installed some LED projector puddle lights, I know a little cheesy projecting the BMW logo on the ground when the doors are open but for $11 the novelty was worth it to me
    Install was easy and they fit nicely

Next I got some touchup paint and finally got around to painting that darn towhook cover.

Pretty good match

Now I just have a few rock chips to touch up, then I'll do another paint correction and the car should be looking A+.

Hit a milestone the other day, I've already driven this thing more than I drove the old Audi, purchasing a well maintained car is great haha.

And finally, I decided to smoke my headlight reflectors, the amber looked so annoying and as E-Codes aren't in the budget this was the next best thing, I love how they turned out.

More to come, sorry for the slow progress, trying to save up some money to wrap up my VW project and being back in school is making that difficult haha.

Suggestions always welcome!

So I did a free little performance mod the other day. Apparently the North American spec E60s have a secondary charcoal filter in the airbox for emissions purposes; M5 owners reported a 20hp gain on the dyno with the filter removed (very similar to what one gains with a Dinan intake), and 530i and 550i owners were reporting increased throttle response and top end power. I didn't have high expectations for this mod, but figured a second air filter much be pretty restrictive and was interested to find out how much power it was sapping.

After removal

I noticed that there is slightly more throttle response and a tiny bit of extra power, certainly not night and day, if there is any power gain it's probably closer to 10hp as it's not all that apparent. I did get a reasonable amount of intake noise which is cool though

Crazy they had a dual filter in there. I am sure it flows well, but still dumb.
    15 Rubicon.Coilovers.37s
    97 M3
    05 Triumph Bonneville

Quote Originally Posted by hinrichs View Post
    Crazy they had a dual filter in there. I am sure it flows well, but still dumb.
    Yeah, I was surprised they did that too. But given that the extra noise is more noticeable than the power gain, and it's apparently needed for emissions, I can see why they did it. I'm just glad it's not a permanent fixture in the airbox.

Well I have an update for you guys that I'm sure you weren't expecting, because I know I didn't see it coming lol. The other day a rather uncommon set of wheels popped up on my local Craigslist for an unbelievable price. I hadn't been planning on buying wheels for this car until next summer but this deal was just too good to pass up. So here they are, my newly acquired AC Schnitzer Type IIIs

ACS (1 of 1) by Ayrton @ Drive19, on Flickr

ACS (1 of 1)-5 by Ayrton @ Drive19, on Flickr

ACS (1 of 1)-2 by Ayrton @ Drive19, on Flickr

ACS (1 of 1)-3 by Ayrton @ Drive19, on Flickr

ACS (1 of 1)-4 by Ayrton @ Drive19, on Flickr

ACS (1 of 1)-6 by Ayrton @ Drive19, on Flickr

and of course a quick little mockup
    ACS (1 of 1)-8 by Ayrton @ Drive19, on Flickr

I'm beyond stoked about these, my original plan was just to get a rep OEM wheel or maybe a set of Niche's but these far better than either or those options. As you may have noticed in the pics, the wheels need some TLC, the finish is bubbling on some of them, and they all have curb rash and brake dust stains.

Since the tyres are dry-rotted as well, rather than mount them for the remainder of the decent weather this year, I'm just gonna go straight to refinishing them. I think I'm gonna go with the standard silver finish but if anyone has any suggestion let me know, I'll be tackling this on my own (as much as I can) so I'll keep you guys updated on my progress. Side note, seeing that mockup has me finally digging my car's shadow-line window trim, I was gonna wrap it matte chrome (so it looks like the standard trim), but I think I'll just do it gloss black, thoughts?

Stay tuned!

Shadow-line trim is beautiful, keep it.

Personally, i'd just stick with silver, lower the car, make them fit nice, and call it a day as a daily driver. Some M5 bits and pieces would be great too. Was there an MSport Kit for the E60s? I believe there was no?

Nice score on the wheels, they are going to look great. I would stick with silver as well, easy and will look great.
    15 Rubicon.Coilovers.37s
    97 M3
    05 Triumph Bonneville

Had a sneaking suspicion I'd see those wheels again. I was really hoping a friend of mine with an f30 would be picking those up, looks like he was second in line behind you haha. Found them on CL a minute too late. I vote keep them silver.

Quote Originally Posted by becausephilchow View Post
    Shadow-line trim is beautiful, keep it.

Personally, i'd just stick with silver, lower the car, make them fit nice, and call it a day as a daily driver. Some M5 bits and pieces would be great too. Was there an MSport Kit for the E60s? I believe there was no?
    Yeah, there was an M-sport kit for these cars, although only available from factory on the 550i in the US. I definitely would like M-sport side skirts, I have considered getting a front bumper as well, but I think I might just go for a valence of some sort. Ideally I want a balance between the sportiness of full M-sport and the classiness of the standard kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by hinrichs View Post
    Nice score on the wheels, they are going to look great. I would stick with silver as well, easy and will look great.
    Thanks! Yeah, I think for achieving the look I want and considering that this will also be a DIY project, silver is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by philohlean View Post
    Had a sneaking suspicion I'd see those wheels again. I was really hoping a friend of mine with an f30 would be picking those up, looks like he was second in line behind you haha. Found them on CL a minute too late. I vote keep them silver.
    Yeah, I figured that they would probably sell soon so I jumped on them immediately! I really got lucky with them haha.

I agree, silver is definitely the move; the more I look at the mockup the more I'm convinced.
    Last edited by 19birel; 09-11-2017 at 08:47 AM.

Made some progress on the car the other day, touched up some rock chips and a few of the scrapes in the bumper left by the PO, they don't look perfect but they look better than having black streaks on the bumpers and the chip touchups will at least protect the metal. Forgot to take pics of that, but a vid of the process might end up on my youtube channel in a few days, link HERE In addition to that though I restore my yellowed side markers which I do have pics of.

How they started

After a two stage polish

Then I masked them up and hit them with three coats of clear, 1 dust coat, and 2 wet coats. Without the clear coat they'll just turn yellow again in a couple weeks

After the dust coat

Wet1

Wet2

Finished and installed, my apologies for the crap pic, but I think they turned out well. Looks nearly good as new and didn't cost me a dime (I already had the clear coat and polish laying around)

Then today I received my BMW Motorsport steering wheel roundel from Renown, I really like it ties in nicely with the ///M badging on my shift knob.

One with the real camera

Hoping to get a start on the wheels soon, I've just been pretty busy with school and life in general so they've been on the back burner for the past few weeks.

Also did a little photoshoot of my buddy's E30, its a little rough and an auto but it only has 36k miles on it! He's thinking about selling it too if anyone is interested. Here's a few from the shoot

I also made a short vid of it, it's on my instagram page @19birelcrg_ayrton if you wanna see it and give a follow if you're keen
    Last edited by 19birel; 10-21-2017 at 12:27 PM.

such clean examples

Quote Originally Posted by WheelerDealers View Post
    such clean examples
    Thanks!

So yesterday I decided to throw a front plate on my car, always wanted to try the europlate look but was never going to spend $30 on a novelty fake plate, so instead I did something a little unique and installed a plate I picked up in Uganda.

My car already had holes drilled for a euro plate since it was euro delivery, so I decided to make a mounting bracket that utilized those.

Pretty basic, I painted it over too but the color match wasn't good, I think my base coat was too dark.

Here is a pic of it installed, don't love it, nor do I **** it. I'll probably have a go at improving the bracket, as the edges could be smoother, but for now it'll do.
    Last edited by 19birel; 10-21-2017 at 12:25 PM.

That number plate looks really cool on the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stance is love View Post
    That number plate looks really cool on the car.
    Thanks!

When out and shot a few pics of Effs last night, finally got the hang of using my new light box too

Side note, I need to replace my front rotors so I just ordered some Bosch blanks, and some Akebono ceramic pads. Gonna paint the Calipers too while I'm in there. The parts should be arriving early this coming week.

Quote Originally Posted by 19birel View Post
    this photo reminds me of the first mission on call of duty black ops 1... fucking love that game.

car looks wicked dude! Funny how those wheels are rare for you guys in america, you can pick em up here in england for a good price!

get some thin tires, coilovers and space the wheels out and you'll be set

This is nice as man! And those wheels are sick, suit the car perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehowski View Post
    this photo reminds me of the first mission on call of duty black ops 1... fucking love that game.

car looks wicked dude! Funny how those wheels are rare for you guys in america, you can pick em up here in england for a good price!

get some thin tires, coilovers and space the wheels out and you'll be set
    Thanks! Yeah legit AC Schnitzer wheels are a rarity over here, last set of these I saw for sale went for around $1,500 which isn't crazy money, but certainly way more than I paid. I can't wait to get them on! Unfortunately I think the only coilovers available for this car are KW V3s with are $2,500 haha (I have X-Drive so my suspension options are limited) I think I'll probably just save up for a nice set of Bilstein dampers and H&R lowering springs
    Quote Originally Posted by bjk View Post
    This is nice as man! And those wheels are sick, suit the car perfectly.
    Thanks man! I really do like the way they flow with the lines of the car

So this past weekend I put on the new brakes, ended up not painting the calipers as it was a little too cold and I didn't really have the time. I'll probably paint them at some point though.

Also test mounted one of the wheels, with some spacers I think they'll look perfect, maybe some slightly meatier tyres too. I'd like it to sit similarly to how my Audi did as I miss the wide look of that car.

BTW disregard the wheel gap, while the car is still riding on stock suspension, the actual gap is a bit less, it was just sitting funny because it was still partially jacked up lol
    Last edited by 19birel; 11-01-2017 at 10:15 AM.

So I've made some minor progress on one of the wheels, started sanding down the lips, the lighter imperfections seem to be coming out.

Lots of heavier ones though that are likely going to need the help of a dremel and some bondo

Any advice on refinishing wheels is greatly appreciated, this is my first time so I'm prone to newbie mistakes hahaha

Side note/shameless plug, I became a brand ambassador for The Cassette Company, they make some sweet, high quality sunglasses and for every pair sold they donate a pair of reading glasses to someone in need. If you guys want a pair use my code DRIVE19_20OFF for a 20% discount! Link Here

So with finals week looming over me I haven't been doing too much to the car, but the other day I did fit my winter wheel & tyre setup. They're another set of Style 138s but they are from a rwd car so have 23mm wider offset than the ones I have been running, and I must say I'm enjoying the fitment. Tyres are a pretty tired set of Pirelli Snowsports, not ideal, but the wheels and tyres came free with the car so I won't complain. They're still way better in the cold than my ContiTouringContact all-seasons.

My ACS Type 3s are 30mm offset so will sit slightly narrower than this, still unsure if I'll toss spacers on with them or not.

I've also come up with a game plan for what I want to do to the car during 2018.

Exterior
    - Clear front indicator bulbs
    - Wheels (obviously) X
    - Front lip
    - M-Tech side skirts w/skirt extensions
    - ACS Style trunk spoiler
    - Gloss Black shadow-line trim (mine is matte black and looks cheap imo)
    - Gloss Black Kidney Grills
    - LCI style tail lights (Maybe if I have the $$)
    - Black painted brake calipers
    - Window tint (on the fence about it)
    - OEM BMW roof bars
    -Weisslicht LED Angel Eye bulbs
    - Maybe a europlate to replace my Ugandan plate that fell off

Interior
    - Restore Steering Wheel Leather X
    - M Performance pedal set
    - M5 titanium iDrive knob

Performance
    - Burger Motorsports Power Box (Tired of the weird throttle response, and a 10hp bump would be cool too)
    - Strut Brace
    - M-Performance SSK
    - Zeckhausen CDV

Maitenance
    - A/C compressor
    - Engine mounts
    - Spark Plugs
    - Accessory belt & pulley
    - Front strut mounts
    - PCV heater recall
    - Oil change X

Let me know what you guys think, and feel free to input any suggestions. If you're wondering why I left out suspension, it's because with almost 174k miles my stock setup's days are probably numbered (even though the car still rides exceptionally well) so my plan is to wait until they give up the ghost and then hopefully have the money saved to go all out with the upgrades when the time comes, still not sure exactly what I'd buy tho.
    Last edited by 19birel; 04-13-2018 at 05:27 PM.

Happy New Year everyone! figured I'd post up a few pics of the 5er out in the winter weather.

Knocked the oil change off the to-do list, restored my steering wheel (lost the SD card with the before and after pics :P )and finally got the dry rotted tyres off the ACSs so I can finally get those ready for paint. Side note, I've really been wanting M-Sport bumpers, thoughts? Would be expensive, but I think I might have to find a way to swing it as I've always loved the look- Being on a college budget sucks lol