X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zhe Gestapo Cruiser - W124 Benz

CURRENT STATUS:

Story:

Hi. I'm Lucas, from The Netherlands, following my Automotive Engineering bachelor degree in Arnhem.

My first shitbox was a FORD EA Falcon Wagon with a very unhealthy 3.9 straight-six
    I bought it during my 6-month roadtrip across Australia with a buddy.
    I loved the sound but it was was very very neglected and barely had any maintenance done to it. But hey, for 1100 bucks and 320.000 Km's it was't that bad for a ± 5,5 meter lump of steel and plastic rubbish...
    We slept and travelled in it for nearly 6 months, had lots of fun, but after six months we had to go home and sell the old dinosaur.

So while I recovered from my 6-month sabbatical, I bought this.
    Nice and torquey turbodiesel, but it was French and it was everything but fun. Let alone it would scare chicks away. It would haul every single one of them with ease, but even with 'FREE CANDY' written on the side, it couldnt stop scaring all the pussy away like a water hose...

Then onto The Benz:

My dad has been a Benz-guy his whole life, and he may have infected me with the same virus.
    I searched for a >25 year old model because of national tax reasons in the Netherlands. Found this 25 y.o. grandpa-mobile pretty much bare-stock. Luckily it had the two-tone facelift body panels ("sacco bretter") already fitted. It had no power-anything except for the sunroof and steering.

But it was a six-cylinder model that I could afford, and that was way more important to me than luxury....
    Especially because at my school at that time, I was one of the few with something with more than four cylinders...

Then we had WINTER MODE 2012(before rebuild)
    8x16 BBS Brabus Monoblocks I's ET35
    205-50-16 Nankang snowtires

8 months into ownership, a 79-year-old granny hit me from the right with her Daewoo Matiz.. Lucky for me, it was granny's fault.
    The Matiz survived the crash. The benz had to be towed home...

The damage:

My mega rare BBS Brabus wheels fucked:

Completely toe'd in after the impact:

Doors bent in. (luckily not the B-pillar)

After I received a nice amount of money from the insurance (more than I bought the car for), I built her up again and took my chance to look at some rust issues. Gave it a complete respray and new FR and RR quarterpanels.
    (Yes. We actually have a working insurance system overhere )

Dad's car carried out the transportation before

Some pics from during the rebuild

Freshly painted, driving home without any doorlocks, windows and working heater @ -3 degrees CELCIUS (which is around 26 in Fahrenheit for you imperial fags)

Then: April 2012
    See that front wheel? Half a year later I measured it and compared it with the other side. Turned out that the wheel base on the passenger side was more than 20mm shorter than the drivers side
    Apparently the collision caused the rear excentric bolt of the LCA to misalign. So with a new alignment, that was fixed.

I'll upload some more in a couple of minutes...
    Last edited by loekaaz; 09-22-2017, 05:47 AM.
    Lucas
    Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
    Originally posted by LCG
    High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

For those who wonder:

The frontlip is made of a stock w124 bumperpiece (the ABS-plastic thing), cut in half, and mated to the bottom of the frontbumper with pop rivets. Pretty easy to DIY actually ..

here are some pics of the lip when i made it

With e36 M3 lip: Wasn't gonna work

Tied together with tie-wraps. Lol

end result:

Wintermode 2013
    We're rolling on stock 16x7,5 500E-wheels now. These will be the new winterbeaters, as the Monoblocks will be kept away from the salt and icey stuff

Front lip had a large crack which was caused by a steep mini-bridge you can only find in Holland:

So I chopped it for 50% as you can see in the picture above this one^^

Since she's actually still far from stance-worthy, I have been trolling around with MSpaint and came up with the next funky thing:

Doesn't look too bad imho...

NASCAR-Style YO!

Bought a parts car (1991 300E) with lots of options. You can see it in the next post.
    I just finished the Leather interior swap. Only things I need to do are the top of the dash, the gear knob and trim and a nasty hole in the side of the drivers seat.

and swapped the bronze/window/roof trim

Last edited by loekaaz; 10-23-2017, 02:00 AM.
    Lucas
    Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
    Originally posted by LCG

Comment

I made this two months ago on my '91 300E parts-car:

Brabus-style exhaust tips!

About the 300E parts car: Its in pretty good nick. Swapped the black leather interior already (prev. post). Engine will be next after I rebuild it. 166 Bhp is just not enough for 1500 kg's...

Like a very very wise man once said:

Last edited by loekaaz; 10-23-2017, 02:06 AM.
      Lucas
      Originally posted by LCG

Comment

Recent update!

I found a set of Fiesta XR2i fogs for the front bumper:

So it will look a bit FROM this:

TO this:

MS paint ftw
        Last edited by loekaaz; 10-23-2017, 02:09 AM.
        Lucas
        Originally posted by LCG

Comment

Sweet merc Those 16" mono blocks looks killer! Too bad they weren't 17" or 18" hehe :P and btw ms paint rulezz! haha
          wait..what?

Comment

I love w124's!

Comment

Took the car out for a clean. With all the salt, ice and snow outside, she's got pretty nasty.
              But when I tried to drive inside the carwash for the drying program, I nearly got stuck on the metal thing (whateveryoumaycallitinEnglish), and I had to drive out backwards.
              Lol. And it isn't even that low...

At least I know one thing for sure. I won't have to come back there when I lower it properly...

Last edited by loekaaz; 11-10-2015, 06:18 AM.
              Lucas
              Originally posted by LCG

Comment

Love it!!

Comment

Just bought a set of original MB Ceginus Wheels (the wheels that came with the W201 EVO II)

They need work, are not staggered or thee-piece and just 7,5x17's. But damn! For only €125,- I Couldn't let them go!

The clearcoat is pretty messed up, but there is absolute NO, I repeat 0,0 curb rash on them.

The tyres are 2010 225/45 Michelin Premacy HP's. The rears are as good as new and the fronts have 50% thread on them.

The guy who sold them had absolutely NO IDEA what he was selling... JACKPOT!

And ofcourse I had to testfit them before I'll start sanding and prepping them:

Last edited by loekaaz; 10-23-2017, 02:09 AM.
                  Lucas
                  Originally posted by LCG

Comment

Supersweet 17'' wheels for cheap!!

Polo will be back soon on BBS wheels and much lower..

Comment

Real classy upgrades going on here. You so smart with the lip.

Comment

the cosworth wheels with smaller stretched tires and spacers and more slammage ... om nom nom ...

Comment

Deal of the century on those 2.5 wheels!
                          1981 300TD 4 speed
                          2000 BMW M5

Mike Finnelly
                          , on Flickr
                          IG @michaelfinnelly

Comment

You have a gorgeous W124. Your home built spoiler is superb. I would like to feature it on my W124uk forum. I went with a repro AMG on mine, wish I had seen your work before hand.

Comment

love the color, but don't like the front lip and the fiesta fog-lights idea...

would suggest you to keep the body clean/oem+ without any ricer shits.

any plans for new wheels or you'll keep the EVO ones?

suspension?

flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X