Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: E46 Daydreams

Arrow E46 Daydreams

Hi all,

I actually started this thread before, however I read it back and it just didn't flow very well. On top of this I was doing the rookie error of saying a lot but not doing a lot, so I've decided the best course of action is to simply start again.

I bought this lovely 2003 Topaz Blue 318ci on March 31st. I'm the 4th owner and when I picked it up the car had 98,xxx miles on the clock. As with all 318s, it's leaking a little bit of oil, and drinks a stupid amount of it too. This is the prefacelift, however being registered in August it's probably the youngest prefacelift you can get. I was lucky enough to find one with the facelifted lump which produced a little but more power than the prior 2.0l.

I've absolutely loved BMWs since I was a little kid, and it's a dream come true finally getting my hands on one.

The car is currently sitting at 101,000 miles. I just self serviced it using thicker oil, 5W-40 rather than 5W-30, to compensate for the high millage (which I presume was mostly covered in London and not on the motorways etc.)

It came with full service history up to 88,xxx miles. The dealer I bought it from said he serviced it before he sold it to me but there was no proof of it. The car came with a fresh MOT too and new tires. All in all, I'm a happy bunny and the car still drives and pulls as if it were new. I'm doing my absolute best to not rag it though and treat it like my baby, because it really is.

On Saturday I start a new insurance policy which allows me to declare modifications. Insurance in London for young drivers is hideous, and even worse if you want to declare modifications. It's fair to say I'm getting shafted as much as I possibly can, but it's all very much worth it and part of being a petrol-head in the UK.

A package has arrived for me yesterday in preparation for Saturday. I've also bought a private number plate which I'll sort out after the weekend.

There's me on the right! I'm 19, live in South London and work up in Westminster. I also run an automotive lifestyle website in my spare time with my best mate. If you're interested the plug is in my bio! If you're from around London and fancy meeting up for a few photos and what not let me know, I've met some amazing people through S|W already and I'm always keen to convoy to shows together etc.

Anyway, an Alpina front splitter is currently being shipped over from Poland to me. No clue when it'll arrive but I think it won't be with me before the weekend.

I've got a lot of ideas for this car, however I shall keep them to myself - let's see what I can come up with!

With this said I'm having a real, real wheel dilemma. I want cheap run arounds, no clue if I should go for 17"s or 18"s. All I know it they have to look good with a static drop and cost around 400, while I save up for real big boy splits. Very keen to hear recommendations. Ya'll know very well I want splits now, however most tend to be way out of my budget.

Thank you for reading, and I shall chat to you all soon.

Much love,
    Mike
    Last edited by Mehowski; 06-27-2017 at 07:17 PM.

Hi again,

So my car key was missing it's BMW badge.

Quick eBay job and we're all good. It's all about those small touches.

Private plate should arrive tomorrow, in the mean time I'm trying to decide if ambers would suit the car...

Nice car man, nice upgrade from the Polo, looks clean! I just bought my first BMW a couple weeks before I turned 20 back in April and have absolutely been loving it too. Personally wouldn't do ambers on it myself; wheel wise, have you considered OEM wheels from a ZHP E46? If you can find a cheap set, they'd look mint and you'd probably have more money left to put towards a proper set of split piece wheels.

E60 BMW 530xi 6MT [N52] Build Thread
    MKIV Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0 5MT Coming Soon to a Forum Near You

SOLDB5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT Build Thread

Nice car! Love the color

as for wheels; you could look for some cheap 5/6/7 series (oem) wheels. (lower offsets so no/less f*cking around with spacers)
    17 or 18's depending on what you like for a clean OEM+ look.

Quote Originally Posted by 19birel View Post
    Nice car man, nice upgrade from the Polo, looks clean! I just bought my first BMW a couple weeks before I turned 20 back in April and have absolutely been loving it too. Personally wouldn't do ambers on it myself; wheel wise, have you considered OEM wheels from a ZHP E46? If you can find a cheap set, they'd look mint and you'd probably have more money left to put towards a proper set of split piece wheels.
    This is a crazy upgrade from the Polo! Worth every penny though...

Wheel wise, it'd be natural to go for an OEM set. There's so many BMW wheels out there, it's nuts - I'm going to try and source a rare set though, even through they're going to be run arounds for now/winter wheels I still want to be able to stunt them out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    Nice car! Love the color

as for wheels; you could look for some cheap 5/6/7 series (oem) wheels. (lower offsets so no/less f*cking around with spacers)
    17 or 18's depending on what you like for a clean OEM+ look.
    Thank you man! I actually really wanted a Black one, however this one was a really good price for what it is. I don't regret it though, when the sun is setting the colour just glows.

I am looking into 7 series wheels actually, a lot of uncommon designs in that category and like I said above, I want a set which isn't done a lot.

Some more parts arrived today in time for the weekend, my private plate and my Alpina Splitter. I'm going to fill out the paperwork for the DVLA today, so hopefully this time next week I can legally run the plate. I was going to get tinted plates (they're in fashion in the UK at the moment) however I'd like to avoid police attention and I'd like to get American spec plates in the near future anyway.

I'm going to get the splitter painted professionally as I want this car done properly. If it was smaller and maybe black I'd do it myself, but seeing as it takes up 50% of the bumper it's best I get it done right.

Might get the Alpina lettering done in Black, however I feel like then I'd want to get black kidney grills which I want to avoid. I'm aiming for a classy look so the Chrome is staying. Maybe I'll make the lettering silver...

Chat soon,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mehowski View Post
    If you're from around London and fancy meeting up for a few photos and what not let me know, I've met some amazing people through S|W already and I'm always keen to convoy to shows together etc.
    I'm just a quick 4,150 miles from London if you wanna set up a shoot

and BMW sucks. shoulda stuck with the polo
    Also this marks your third thread and you still haven't lowered a car

My vote for wheels is a set of M pars. At least here in the US they're super cheap and they look great on e46s.
    Instagram: @t_armst

congrats on the Car, looks clean !

I only just now realize that i saw you shooting an Eos at Players Classic.

always liked the Styling 71 in 18s off the E38...the same design was done for the E46/E39 but with less dish

Nice car, love that blue. Can't wait to see what you'll do with the car ! Keep it up

So yesterday was the day I've been waiting for since I've been about 14. I dropped my first BMW!

The coils are maxed out at the moment. I want to go lower at the back, however I've been told they will settle an inch lower over the next few hundred miles which I'm keen on. The current set up is your classic FK AK Street coils, 100mm drop at the front with 75mm at the back. I've still got the bump stops in at the back but I'll probably end up taking them out.

I know BC Racing do a line of springs for the rears which are a bit stiffer and let it sit lower, so if I'm still keen on going lower I'll look into those.

The front sits nicely and scrapes over most things but I'm happy with that. When I get my splitter on the front bumper will sit even lower... so I'm not sure what's going to happen there. Let's hope I don't kill the splitter in one day. Now I'm on the hunt for some M sport side skirts too to even the lines out. I plan on keeping the rear SE bumper and making a small custom diffuser to tie it all together.

The hunt for some cheap run around wheels is truly on now, I've got the cash sitting there ready so it's a matter of finding something I like. I'm in no rush. I've also settled on 17" wheels so I can sit lower.

So here's what you're all really here for, the photos!

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
    congrats on the Car, looks clean !

I only just now realize that i saw you shooting an Eos at Players Classic.

always liked the Styling 71 in 18s off the E38...the same design was done for the E46/E39 but with less dish
    Players Classic was awesome this year, hopefully next year you'll see me shooting my own car there haha!

Quote Originally Posted by djlowd View Post
    Nice car, love that blue. Can't wait to see what you'll do with the car ! Keep it up
    Yeah the blue has definitely grown on me, cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by TheTynosaur View Post
    I'm just a quick 4,150 miles from London if you wanna set up a shoot

and BMW sucks. shoulda stuck with the polo
    Also this marks your third thread and you still haven't lowered a car

My vote for wheels is a set of M pars. At least here in the US they're super cheap and they look great on e46s.
    Polo was a curse, never touching VW again. The amount of abuse I got for not lowering it... hopefully this update makes up for it
    Last edited by Mehowski; 07-02-2017 at 11:08 AM.

if you are staying static and want to have good fitment i would say 18s, plus these drive a lot nicer on 18s. 17s are to small for the e46 and don't fill out the arches enough.

18s not 17s. all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by Benwalsh91 View Post
    if you are staying static and want to have good fitment i would say 18s, plus these drive a lot nicer on 18s. 17s are to small for the e46 and don't fill out the arches enough.

qft.

I did both and you really have a hard time pulling of 17s static.

Quote Originally Posted by Benwalsh91 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
    qft.

I did both and you really have a hard time pulling of 17s static.

In contrast my two good friends both had static E46s in the past, and they pulled off 17s if you ask me. Just need to nail the correct tire size/fitment combo.

I mean, I say I'm settled on 17s however a nice set of 18s wouldn't go a miss. I'm not going to lie, I have no clue where to even start looking, OEM is a good idea however I don't want a wheel that's been milked to death on the E46.

The hunt continues...

that first one is like three inches lower than you are now though so if you wanna save that alpina lip I'd recommend going with 18s for good fitment and be slightly higher.

i say 18" also... for good fitment to pull of 17's that alpina lip wont last a week.

I'm gonna have to agree with the popular opinion that 18s are the way to go as well. 17s look close but no cigar

E60 BMW 530xi 6MT [N52] Build Thread
    MKIV Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0 5MT Coming Soon to a Forum Near You

SOLDB5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT Build Thread

Laguna Beach,CA Glendale, AZ Soon to be Boston

I like the 17's idea but you aren't low enough to make them work. 18's will need to be sourced if you want decent fitment. Or you could ditch the alpina lip, use some of that money, buy nicer 17's and dump this sh*t on the floor and be real cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Stupid Kid View Post
    I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Mate it looks great their maybe a bit played out recently but I think staggered 18 inch style 32s are the way to go, perfect fitment aswell...

The drop on yours already perfect, 215/40s out back and 205/40s up front
    Last edited by Steven_318ti; 07-03-2017 at 09:34 AM.
    My BMW E36 318ti Steel Blue Compact build thread -
    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88271

Very nice bud!

that first one is like three inches lower than you are now though so if you wanna save that alpina lip I'd recommend going with 18s for good fitment and be slightly higher.
    If I take out the adjusters at the front and get M sport bumpers mine would sit like that on 17s.

Quote Originally Posted by C2_mad View Post
    i say 18" also... for good fitment to pull of 17's that alpina lip wont last a week.
    You're correct, I'd crack the lip simply getting out of my drive.

Quote Originally Posted by 19birel View Post
    I'm gonna have to agree with the popular opinion that 18s are the way to go as well. 17s look close but no cigar

Quote Originally Posted by 190Evan View Post
    I like the 17's idea but you aren't low enough to make them work. 18's will need to be sourced if you want decent fitment. Or you could ditch the alpina lip, use some of that money, buy nicer 17's and dump this sh*t on the floor and be real cool.
    I've already got the Alpina lip haha, anyway I'm a pretty cool dude at the moment. Getting even cooler could be risky.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_318ti View Post
    Mate it looks great their maybe a bit played out recently but I think staggered 18 inch style 32s are the way to go, perfect fitment aswell...

The drop on yours already perfect, 215/40s out back and 205/40s up front
    Can confirm, staggered Style 32s would be lovely. However everyone has a set and I'm not sure if I want to be like everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuts View Post
    Very nice bud!
    Thanks!

Time to browse eBay for some 18s.

It's currently 1:30 here in London and I'm waking up for work in about 5 hours, however I can't think of a better time than now to tell you all that I 'test fitted' my Alpina splitter and it looks low and cool.

Going to get wheels first before I get it painted and installed as I want to know how low the bumper will sit anyway before putting on my fake lows.

Thanks,
    Mike

Hi guys, yesterday I decided not to listen to any of you, and did something I probably shouldn't have done. I test fitted my friend's 17" 1500 BBS RFs.

Arguably one of the most timeless and stunning wheels ever made, they just fit anything. Now I really want a set of shiny wheels, but that's on the plans for 2018 list.

Anyway... just look at the photos!

... it's so, so pretty. Like god damn this car puts a massive smile on my face. Shame they're not mine, but there's nothing a few months worth of saving up can't fix!

Sorry for the iPhone photos, my camera run out of battery and I test fitted these straight after work.

And, wait, wait. Before you say anything, yes the tires are small but imagine these with a bit more rubber on them. Slight stretch and a little bit more beef and they'd be PERFECT.

Then I could take out the front adjusters to get the front a little lower, and chop the rear springs a little - and boom, it will be complete.

So... what's next? I shall still continue looking for a set of run around/winter wheels which I can run and only after that I will start saving up for splits.

The run arounds might actually be 18s, I found a set that has caught my attention which I like. I'm not going to lie to you though, getting wheels now will drain my bank account dry and I have a few weekends away later this month and I could do with not being broke.

This means wheels might arrive when August is upon us. I'll continue to update you all as and when I do things though.

Much love,
    Mike
    Last edited by Mehowski; 07-06-2017 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehowski View Post
    Hi guys, yesterday I decided not to listen to any of you
    well that was a mistake; everyone knows you're supposed to build your car how the internet tells you to.

This is looking good, nice upgrade from the Polo.
    Plans sound good so far, keep it up!

Hi all, small update this one.

Firstly, the driver's door trim has been falling apart for a while now, and it finally gave in this weekend when a clumsy friend of mine got caught on it. I've tried all sorts of sticky stuff to glue it back on and nothing has worked. Anyone got any recommendations? At the moment it's loosely held together by duck tape. While duck tape is technically the strongest material ever created, it doesn't look very tidy.

Now a good friend of mine has recently started making removable number plates. In the UK, you have to run a front plate by law which is quite shitty for people with e46s as the front number plate mounts have a million screws and leave marks on the front bumper. I **** the look of the front plate on these too, so I guess this removable one is as good as it'll get for me - and I'd like to avoid a 100 fine for not running one! Technically it's not road legal and my mate is not a licenced number plate dealer however I highly doubt the rozzers will batter an eyelid.

It sticks on using static which builds off of the vinyl, very clever stuff. I highly recommend there, if you're interested check out @killaplates on instagram. They don't wear either, so once you buy it'll last you a lifetime.

With all of that said, you need good paint for it to work. My bumper's lacquer is peeling underneath the headlights, and when I was showing my dad the plate I stuck it on an area I thought was safe - it wasn't.

Now I'm left with a massive lacquer peel bubble and I want to cry a lot.

Ah well, you live and you learn. The whole front end needs a respray anyway.

Also when I was drunk last night I bought 100 inches of all fit lips, so god knows what I'll end up doing with it however I'm keen to experiment haha!

well that was a mistake; everyone knows you're supposed to build your car how the internet tells you to.
    I do it for my fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Wenman View Post
    This is looking good, nice upgrade from the Polo.
    Plans sound good so far, keep it up!
    Cheers dude!

I shall leave ya'll with another photo of it because I love it so much.

Thanks,
    Mike

WOAH!!! Those RFs, ive said in other threads, my all time favourite wheels, mate they suit your car so well
    My BMW E36 318ti Steel Blue Compact build thread -
    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88271