A 1973 Toyota What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 1973 Toyota What?

A vague craigslist posting, a few days of unreturned voicemails, a short drive south, a trip to the dmv, a uhaul trailer, and $1100 later I've got myself a 1973 Toyota Hilux; a truck I never planned on seeing in person, let alone owning. Now I have an excellent platform to start with.. minimal rust, underbody coated, straight body, perfect glass, every single electronic and light works, brakes work, leaks nothing but a drop of coolant from the radiator, and I got it in running in about 15 minutes once I got it home. I figured I would make a small build thread to document my progress on this truck as I bring it back to its full neck-breaking, what the hell is that questioning, ear-to-ear grin making potential.

The basics:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    2.0L 18R-C RWD
    4 Speed

Maintenance Plans:
    Spark Plugs
    Wires
    Cap & Rotor
    Starter
    Clutch Master
    Slave Cylinder
    Bleed Clutch
    Replace any needed suspension bushings and balljoints
    Exhaust/Intake Gasket
    Valve Cover Gasket
    Repair/replace radiator
    Adjust Valves
    Set Timing
    Go through wiring and clean up any messes
    Reuphoslter dashboard
    Straighten out any body damage
    Stop the rust from growing and potentially cut and weld some of the rust

Modification Plans:
    Lower the truck ~3"
    Exhaust
    Some vintage japanese 15" wheels.. thinking SSR Formula Mesh
    Possible handbuilt removable camper topper
    Paint tailgate lettering a patina'd white look

Here she is when I first got her home.

Off to the car wash to try and take care of years worth of grime.

Got her home and changed the plugs and tracked down a bad connection for the hot wire to the ignition coil and she fired right up!

Waxed the entire truck, shined the tires, and cleaned up the wheels and chrome and it shined up pretty good for a 43 year old truck. (The side vents are off in these photos because I was respraying them satin black.)

Pulled the grille off today and started soda blasting it to remove the crappy rattle can job until I ran out of media.

Have some more blasting, sanding, and glazing putty to do before its ready for a fresh satin black paint job. Theres a crack in the drivers side corner of the grille that I am going to have to plastic weld and then fill and sand. I've done it many times before but I'm a bit worried only because of the rarity of parts for these parts.

And that's where it sits as of today! I have a bunch of maintanence parts on right now that should be here the middle of next week. I plan on being able to take it out on the street for the first time on friday if all goes as planned! I'll keep you guys posted with updates. Hope you enjoy!

Toyota love
    conversion syndicate*

4g63 swapped Hilux: http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=75423

ig: makercruuz

Comment

Dude how did you find this? You can hardly get your hands on any old Toyota pickup let alone this. And please lower this more than 3"

@fackinsteve ; fackin build thread :
      http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ill-build-E36s

Comment

Originally posted by fackinsteve View Post
        Dude how did you find this? You can hardly get your hands on any old Toyota pickup let alone this. And please lower this more than 3"
        Honestly, I have no idea. Everything just fell into place. I was originally looking for a Datsun 620 for months and my dad sent me a link to this craigslist ad. Called him for a few days and finally returned my call and it all fell into place. I got lucky.

Comment

She's mint! My buddy has one with some good parts on it if you need anything.

Instagram - @choadyhighroller
          Originally posted by nickskater09
          I think Jody, along with Ashton, like to push the line between "street legal" and "realistically driveable".

Comment

Originally posted by milano_red View Post
            She's mint! My buddy has one with some good parts on it if you need anything.
            Thanks! Is it an rn22? Only part I really need is a drivers side blinker.. mines cracked.

Comment

Yes! All I can say is yes! I was gonna pick up a AWD converted hill in Socal but ended up getting my 400e. These are so fucking cool. I can wait to see this thing lowered with some (hopefully) 15's...

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
              I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

Originally posted by 190Evan View Post
                Yes! All I can say is yes! I was gonna pick up a AWD converted hill in Socal but ended up getting my 400e. These are so fucking cool. I can wait to see this thing lowered with some (hopefully) 15's...
                That's the plan. It's a bit tricky finding nice 15" wheels in 5x114.3 unfortunately...

Comment

Such an awesome little truck, nice find!

I'll be watching this....

@austin_norton | @nortoncollect
                  2013 Mk6 | 1999 E36

Comment

Originally posted by thofdahl View Post
                    That's the plan. It's a bit tricky finding nice 15" wheels in 5x114.3 unfortunately...
                    Enkei 92. They make a 15x7 +38. I know its probably a way higher offset than you want, but they're cheap, 15", 5x114, and sexy

Comment

What? since when is it hard to find 5x114.3 wheels in 15'? What nishy said, run some 92's or even size up to 16's and have plenty more options, but when you go 16 the tire options go down.

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
                      I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

Thanks! Is it an rn22? Only part I really need is a drivers side blinker.. mines cracked.
                        Yep. 77 i think, there is a picture of it in my build thread. I ask him if he has a blinker.

Instagram - @choadyhighroller
                        Originally posted by nickskater09
                        I think Jody, along with Ashton, like to push the line between "street legal" and "realistically driveable".

Comment

Originally posted by nishy View Post
                          Enkei 92. They make a 15x7 +38. I know its probably a way higher offset than you want, but they're cheap, 15", 5x114, and sexy
                          I do like the Enkeis but I think I want a multi-piece wheel.

Originally posted by 190Evan View Post
                          What? since when is it hard to find 5x114.3 wheels in 15'? What nishy said, run some 92's or even size up to 16's and have plenty more options, but when you go 16 the tire options go down.
                          I've been doing some light searching the past day and a half and haven't found much. I'd like to get some used multi-piece wheels.. love the SSR Formula Meshes in like a 15x8 0 offset.

Originally posted by milano_red View Post
                          Yep. 77 i think, there is a picture of it in my build thread. I ask him if he has a blinker.
                          Thanks, let me know. I'm reading through your build right now.. I dig it.

Comment

Originally posted by OEM+ sluts View Post
                            Such an awesome little truck, nice find!

I'll be watching this....
                            Thank you sir.

Comment

I do like the Enkeis but I think I want a multi-piece wheel.

I've been doing some light searching the past day and a half and haven't found much. I'd like to get some used multi-piece wheels.. love the SSR Formula Meshes in like a 15x8 0 offset.
                              Check on croooober or bidjdm. I know there is usually four or five sets of formula mesh on croooober at any given time. Granted, a used set in those specs with a 5x114 will be kinda hard to find, but you could pick up a whole set for $600 or less depending on their condition. I got a pair of 14x6.5 Longchamps for $200 and a pair of 14x6 A3A's for $180 with shipping.

Comment

Working...
                              X