Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MK2 Volkswagen Jetta from the UK

Hello Everyone,

I have been lurking on here for a while reading some incredible build threads and generally just enjoying the forum. Anyway i had some spare time this evening so decided to post up a build thread of my VW Jetta.

This is kind of a start to finish of where I am upto so sorry if it becomes boring.

Anyway…

Its a funny story how i came to own the car.

One of my good friends had owned a red Jetta years ago and ive always wanted one. At the time i had a Red Saab 95 which i actually loved, however this had been neglected during it life and the timing chain had lots of play and was an engine out job to fix, at around 900 pounds to fix i decided to sell up. However i dint get much money back for the car so ended up buying an mx5 and fussing that for a while.

Anyway to the point, one of my friends knows a guy who scraps cars and stores them in a yard before thy get sent to their death, he had been up to the yard and seen the red jetta parked there, the guy said a woman in the same city had owned the car for around 11 years and then decided to scrap it, hence it being in the yard. The car was clean and it seemed a real shame for it to stop being used and crushed So a deal was done and my mate bought the car. Now! Shortly after this said mate was in the market for a cheap rear wheel drive car and low and behold I had an mx5. A swap was arranged and i now owned a car i had wanted for quite some time.

The saab (which i do miss)

The mx5

Now... onto the Jetta...
    I got the car and pretty much drove it and wasnt going to do much with it other than enjoy it. However after afew month of owner shit i realised the car had some major mechanical gremlins and id already fallen in love with the car so i had to sort it. I decided the 1.8 8v (75hp Beast) was not going to get over hauled so the hunt was on for a new engine. At this point my brother had already owned 4 or 5 mk2s and had a BBM mk2 Vr6. I did want a VR however conversions seemed expensive and i thought the vr was alittle heavy over the front axle of a mk2 (sorry all you vr6 owners please dont **** me). So a compromise happened and i bought an ABF from a Seat Ibiza GTI. " litre 16v and 150hp was plenty for me.

some pictures from when i first owned it upto the conversion.

First day of ownership

Did some machine polishing (people with red mk2s know the pain of them turning pink)

Painted the wheels gold as the black was flaking off.

So upto this point i had done little jobs like service the car, had a small amount of welding done and did my door membranes as they can often leak water. So now the coversion

Old lump

Out

new one slotted in

Loom spliced and joined to the late spec CE2 loom...

Just about there with the install

Loads more has been done since then, solid front mount, chip, 2.25" exhaust and a full service. I did the clutch, cambelt, auxiliary belts, water pump and replaced loads of little bits while the engine was out.

I drove the car round and enjoyed it for a while

Got this fully wooden OBA wheel from an old 911 for steal so fitted that...

At this point i was going to go in a different direction with the car and decided to buy bigger wheels for brake clearance and bonnet raisers as i fitted an early spec inlet manifold that sat too high for the bonnet to shut

A set of team dynamics where purchased and sun strip added along with the home brew bonnet risers for TB clearance.

I then decided to put my wheels up for swaps on facebook on a whim and ended up getting these at an absolute steal.

Theyre Whistler kr1 16x8 et20.

I have since taken these off and they are now stored in my bedroom (sorry mum)

I have since taken off the Jetta front as i want to keep it nice and it needs a new clip. so that and the wheels will go back on in the spring.

Along the way i spent alot of time doing work on the engine, it had a new dizzy and rotor arm, new ECU relay, cleaned the K&N full service, shot of redex etc and then went along to get the car rolling roaded

Car made 183bhp and 144ft lb of torque. Im just happy the engine seems healthy and i can continue to enjoy the car.

I have recently undertaken trying to fix a leak into my back seats which i thought was simply the door membrance, however this was not to be the case and i had this lovely hole to fix.(cant find a pic of just the hole but you et the idea it was grim.

So my mate set about welding it up for me late one friday night.

Ended up with this...

Which im chuffed with tbf as we did all the work ourselves.

Popped the old seal back in along with some sealant in the corners (this is crutial anyone doing this job)

That brings me to this week where i have continued to fix the leak and do other general bits on the car

The plan is to keep it clean over winter as it is my daily car and put the good stuff back on over winter and enjoy some summer shows

Thanks for reading

F

love this build!!! its gorgeous !!
    Passion Garage

http://www.voomeran.jp

Comment

Amazing build! the car looks great

Comment

Nice work man. those wheels are an interesting style on the MK2, but I am liking it so far.
        sigpic

Old Japanese cars are my thing
        Follow me on the gram @driftundertheradar

Comment

Originally posted by PassionGarage View Post
          love this build!!! its gorgeous !!
          Thank you. It's only a few more weeks infill the bad weather passes and I can but it all back together again. Literally cannot wait.

Originally posted by CarFreak View Post
          Amazing build! the car looks great
          Thanks

Originally posted by Golden Gramps View Post
          Nice work man. those wheels are an interesting style on the MK2, but I am liking it so far.
          Thank you. Yeah when I first got them I was worried they'd be too "pimp" but on the car against the red I like them

Comment

Nice work, the engine conversion looks good, made good power too must be fun to drive!

Comment

I've seen your 9-5 on Saab forums before, you were the guy that fitted Vauxhall coilovers to it right? Sweet Jetta! I'm not really a VW guy (more of a Saab nerd lol), but I'm really warming up to mk2's..
              SAAB 900 T16s

Comment

Originally posted by Wenman View Post
                Nice work, the engine conversion looks good, made good power too must be fun to drive!
                Thanks. Yeah I was suprised how nippy it was. It's not like "fast" but it certainly suprises a fee cars that are newer and fast.

Comment

Originally posted by reiernumans View Post
                  I've seen your 9-5 on Saab forums before, you were the guy that fitted Vauxhall coilovers to it right? Sweet Jetta! I'm not really a VW guy (more of a Saab nerd lol), but I'm really warming up to mk2's..

Yeah the early 95s share the same suspension platform so I fitted some and hey presto. Tbf I do love mk2s now I've owned one they really are great cars.

Comment

evening guys, not much has been happening with the car recently. drove it round all winter and to be honest it was quite pleasant, there hasn't been much snow and terrible weather.

The UK season kicked off yesterday with the first show being ultimate dubs which me and afew of my mates attended.

On the way hope i snapped this picture of the car

Thanks for reading
                    Last edited by Havenhand; 03-14-2016, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Originally posted by s t a y g o l d
                      and don't trash talk people, that's for hos at the club.
                      S4 Avant - Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by kittenpuncher View Post
                        Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Thanks man

Comment

Not updated this for a while.

So i got a bit bored of the blingy chromey show look. to be completely honest the rest of the car just isnt "mint" enough for me to want to build a show car out of it. So i decided that i would go a different route and take inspiration from Motorsport especially if it meant i could drive the car to its full potential with it having the ABF fitted.

So i sold the wheels to a guy building a sick E30 on hydraulics and oredered some 15X8 et20 Rota Slipsteams. Next was slapping on some 195/45/15 Toyos and then fnsinf the rest of the mods.

First up has the North Viking fog ducts, then the Metalplast bonnet spoiler, then found a valver being broken that had a single wiper conversion. Last up was the GTI boot spoiler and US spec plate holder. here are the results. The car is much much better to drive now as its not on elastic band tires and i'm enjoying the new look which is something a little different.

Thanks for looking.

Fras

Comment

Looks much better on the Slipstreams than the Whistlers!

Whats the plans from here?
                            Current Car: 04 Ford Focus SVT

Founder of CleanCarCulture!
                            www.CleanCarCulture.com

Www.facebook.com/CleanCarCulture

Always on the look out for feature cars in NorCal, Maine, Kansas and Florida. Want to become part of the CleanCarCulture team? Use the contact form on our website!

Comment

Car looks mean man, I'm all in for the race car look

Something I wouldn't mind toying about with myself now i think about it...

Where abouts in England are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X