Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turquoise Mk3 Golf four door, project distracting daily.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turquoise Mk3 Golf four door, project distracting daily.

Rightyho, I've distracted myself from my proper Mk2 ABF show car project by buying a different daily.
    I got super lucky with getting the little low mileage beauty!

'93 Volkswagen Golf GL Mk3 4 door Tuerkis Green. 33,000 miles!

IMG_7320

IMG_7322

I bought the car in August/September, with 27k on the clocks, from a friend who was the second owner. The car is unbelievably tidy, bar the arches. Interior is like new and once wiped over, so is the bay (original tags and all).
    It had also lost all brakes and the gear selector is a mess.
    Originally I quickly swapped the master cylinder with the original from my Mk2 GTI and was on my way.
    Recently it started to lose brakes again so I decided to sort it out once and for all...

Mk3 Golf

I have a proper workshop but have no room in there at the moment, so stuck it in a barn.

Mk3 Golf

Got the old girl off the ground and ripped the old master cylinder out.

Mk3 Golf

Mk3 Golf

Need to have a bit of a tidy up, but I think this is a pretty nice original bay.

Mk3 Golf

Heres the 'new' m/c, second hand genuine.

Mk3 Golf

All fitted in and ready to bleed.

Mk3 Golf

When I was bleeding I noticed that I should probably sort out a chassis notch at some time soon.

Mk3 Golf

It's all sorted for now But I have a load of maintenance ready to do and a few plans after that:

- Brake pads/shoes and discs all round.
    - New wishbones/I will possibly swap the bushes out for polyurethane parts.
    - Ball joints
    - Tie rod ends
    - Full service and timing belt.

A few things that have popped up through daily use:

- Wheel bearings.
    - CV.
    - Power steering pump belt.
    - Rocker cover gasket.

I also have these that I'm repainting and fitting on once I've bought new tyres (I realise they're reps, but they were free)

IMG_7346

Heres a test fit, need lower profile tyres and a bit of a modification to the inside of the bumper.

Once I have got the wheels to fit I will get round to replacing the wings and fixing the rear arches. There are a few little dings and things that I will also repair. So I expect I will end up repainting the whole thing. (I am a painter for Mercedes)

I want to keep it as a super clean, OEM car and just make it a comfortable daily, so we will see what happens.

I made it to Ultimate Dubs this weekend and pinched a friends space on the UKMK3s outdoor club stand because he didn't get his car sorted in time. I stole my buddy Tom's set of Anteras for the weekend.

IMG_0745 by Joe Mallett, on Flickr

You can see I also got my private plate swapped over and stuck some pressed plates on

Here's a photo taken at the show.

IMG_0795 by Joe Mallett, on Flickr

The show got me pretty motivated so I started on a bit of the body work last night and attacked one of the rear arches. They had previously been beaten in and tugged on and god know what else by the last owner to fit some big ol' banded steels under them. I'm planning on getting them near standard but with a little bit of extra room.

IMG_0805 by Joe Mallett, on Flickr

IMG_0806 by Joe Mallett, on Flickr

IMG_0808 by Joe Mallett, on Flickr

I'll get the filler blocked out today hopefully and stick some primer on it.

Comment

when I read "Turquoise" I expected it to be a rattle canned shitbox...

Really like it and the 3 Spokes look cool on there,

Comment

a gl, must be a drag compared to your abf

if you wanna keep 3spoke design, look into oz cygnus, they look killer on mk3's (or more expensive enkei's)
        Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

3 spokes were nice, you should buy them from your bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Originally posted by s t a y g o l d
          and don't trash talk people, that's for hos at the club.
          S4 Avant - Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by P78 View Post
            a gl, must be a drag compared to your abf

if you wanna keep 3spoke design, look into oz cygnus, they look killer on mk3's (or more expensive enkei's)
            Originally posted by kittenpuncher View Post
            3 spokes were nice, you should buy them from your bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Haha, I have things going around in my mind for engines maybe in the future. I have to get a larger car eventually to fit my German Shepard puppy in, so it could get a big overhaul eventually.
            To be fair though its not too bad, its the same engine as the mk2 8v GTIs, just with a worse fuel system.

The three spokes are great, but theres no chance of getting them from Tom haha. I know the OZ's well, they are beautiful!

Comment

Originally posted by MadMax View Post
              when I read "Turquoise" I expected it to be a rattle canned shitbox...

Really like it and the 3 Spokes look cool on there,
              Cheers man, the turquoise rattle can is a pretty common look isn't it haha

This is going to get a repaint in parts hopefully. Ill replace the wings at some point and sort out the minor dinks. Then the only problem will be the caved in sills. I'm not too sure how I'm going to repair them yet, whether it is easier to replace them or pull the out.

Comment

This is pretty cool man, something absolutely great about an older clean vw

I thought under 80k miles on my Polo was low hahah

Nice colour too looking forward to seeing this at shows this year

Comment

Originally posted by Mehowski View Post
                  This is pretty cool man, something absolutely great about an older clean vw

I thought under 80k miles on my Polo was low hahah

Nice colour too looking forward to seeing this at shows this year
                  I'll try and get to as many as possible this year, I missed most of them last year.

Comment

Untitled by Joe Mallett, on Flickr
                    Quick update...
                    I got a bit of primer on this arch. Had some trouble with the filler primer I had at mine because it's too old so this is just a bit of etch. But you can see the the shape is back. I'll get some filler primer on it and sharpen up the edges with that before painting it.
                    For the other side, I need to use a pin pulled because the lip of the arch has been lost, so hopefully I can pinch the one at work one afternoon this week.

I have a bit of an idea to get some retro striping on this car too. Hugely inspired by this:

Jamie Hale's Mk2 Golf, one of my favourites.
                    I want to have a go at designing my own. Whether paint it or get a vinyl made, I'm not too sure yet though.

Anyway. Hopefully I'll have some more interesting updates soon.
                    Last edited by JoeMallett; 03-21-2016, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Got a bit more done this week. I'm slowly getting somewhere!
                      I started on the other rear arch. This one was bit more of a pain because the arch line had completely gone, so I had to get the pin puller on it a little bit.

You can just about see in this one that I managed to get the line back quite well.

Then a quick skim of filler and thats as far as I got.

Excuse the photo quality, I only have my phone at the moment.

Comment

Nice work so far, looks mint on the three spokes!

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherd View Post
                          Nice work so far, looks mint on the three spokes!
                          Cheers man, yeah they're pretty cool. The only thing I don't like is how visible the brakes are through them haha I'd need some big ol' stoppers for me to be happy with them.

Comment

digging the idea of the decals man, fender work looks good so far too

you gonna be at early edition?

Comment

love the idea of the retro striping on the side.. makes me miss my old mk3 I always loved the idea of tri spoked wheels on an mk3. Keep up the good work

Comment

Working...
                              X