Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just another Benz (W124 280 Wagon)

Aloha Community,

after lurking around for about a year now just reading build threads i need to start my own.

At first:

there will be no extreme low for now since it's my daily.

Still i'd like to show you the progress the car makes, to keep me motivated and maybe you entertained

I used to have old mercs before, i really liked my 300CE which was pretty low (-60mm front and back) but the cheap suspension ruined my subframe-mounting + my oilpan was ripped open.. since i was young and had no experience in fixing cars i 'lost' it to a workshop since they screwed with me about the costs and did a fake contract

My current car is a Mercedes W124 Wagon with the 2.8l M104 engine build in '94. It has a sunroof (partitally working), air conditioning (not working yet), two electrical windows, sportline package, beige leather seats.

For now it's mostly maintenance since i bought the car in a kind-of bad condition. I have this car for half a year now and didn't manage to get much done since i dont own a garage or anything so i am fixing it up on the street :/ Since it was winter and bad weather afterwards i didn't tackle it until now (steering became a bit to wobbly since the suspension/subframes needed a replacement pretty bad).

Fixed the engine (wiring was bad, throttle was broken, ignition was bad, some sensors needed replacement) and replaced the complete front suspension + subframe. I fitted some shorter and stiffer shock absorbers but am still on the original springs. Havent decided yet how low i want to go since it's my daily and roads here are kind of bad.

Still need to fix the whole rear suspension + subframe and do some bodywork.

Also on my TODO list:

*drop the front a bit (20-40 mm i guess.. lets see)

*get rid of the luggage rails

*complete my carpc project

*customize the rear lid to fit the license plate correctly

*refurbish the wheels, not sure if i should paint the inner part black

*maybe replace the 2.8l engine with the more powerfull 3.6l one

This is how she looks right now:

front is too high since i just fixed the frontsuspension before and the springs haven'T settled yet. what do you guys think: should i paint the inner part of the wheels black or should i repaint it in classy silver?

red valve cover because race...wagon (?) :P

winter tyres 15''

In the front i fitted a lip from a VW Golf MK III:

just needed a bit cutting on the edges:

fixed some battlescars, need to either change my way of driving or get a smaller lip:

Also made some custom gauges (if anyone is interested i can send you the files):

half of a interior shot, rest of the interior is not pretty enough right now :P

Dog approves more space:

Beware: slow modding ahead since in Germany we have strict rules for what you can do with your car and what is not allowed. Also every Change needs to be checked and accepted by the TÜV which can be expensive. So sorry, no exotic engine swaps / crazy suspension mods ( where you can buy a cheap airride kit for 500$ in the US the cheapest solution will be about 3000$ here :/ )

That's it for now, much pictures, less text, bad english, i hope you still liked it. Let me know what you think of the car.
    Last edited by dreadkopp; 05-31-2015, 06:11 PM.

Yess.....

More

w124's

Lucas
    Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
    Originally posted by LCG
    High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

what you really dont want to happen is this:

wanted to remove the subframe to change struts and bearings. One of the previous owners welded the mounting point and also welded on the screw . So it broke!

Why cant thing just work the way i want them to???

So tomorrow i need to get this thing to a workshop, get the subframe out, drill the rest of the screw out and cut a new screw thread.

Still not sure how (much) i want to lower the front. Anyone who did this to a W124 can tell me how much lower the car gets by cutting the coils for 1/2 or 1 winding?

Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by dreadkopp View Post
        One of the previous owners welded the mounting point and also welded on the screw
        WTF

And yes, MOAR W124s!

The interior is unusual - obviously a black interior that someone swapped tan seats and door panel inserts into. Kind of an interesting look.

Comment

Originally posted by Oh Damn, it's Sam View Post
          WTF

And yes, MOAR W124s!

The interior is unusual - obviously a black interior that someone swapped tan seats and door panel inserts into. Kind of an interesting look.
          That was me :P when i bought it it had the original black/checkered sportline interior. Hole in the drivers seat as usual. Got the beige leather + doorpanels really cheap and they were in acceptable condition. Since it would be really expensive to get all the other interior parts i just did my own by replacing the seats and add the clipped leather inlays to the black door panels + the lower part on the front doors (not sure about that, might switch back to black with just beige leather inlay, but the original black ones where in really bad shape [ screwed to the doorpanel since all the catches/nuts/plastic thingies that hold the panel were broken). More interior shots when i cleaned it up :P Right now it is stuffed with tools and spare parts
          Last edited by dreadkopp; 06-01-2015, 12:55 PM.

Comment

small update: spend 14 hours in the workshop to get my rear subframe out, drill a new screw thread (it's m12 instead of m14 now but i messed up the drill a bit by not centering it correctly).

First i wanted to clean and respray the subframe but no time since workshop is expensive. So it looks like this:

Maybe i will take it out again at home but not sure since it was a pain in the arse to get it out.

Get it aligned with the information that my rear tyres are rubbish and that i should replace them... more expenses.. yay!

I think i will cut the front spring a whole winding and maybe get the fenders out a bit by putting spacers between screw and fender. Hope that this way i dont need to pull/roll the fenders.

Might some Photoshopmaster paint the wheels black / titangrey ? just the inner part, the small lip will be polished. Anyone used the car as a polishing machine? i thought about just getting the rear up, put in first or second gear and just start grinding?

Cheers
            Last edited by dreadkopp; 06-04-2015, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Still not sure how (much) i want to lower the front. Anyone who did this to a W124 can tell me how much lower the car gets by cutting the coils for 1/2 or 1 winding?
              To answer your question: This was my 300CE coup with -45mm lowering springs (unsure which brand) WITHOUT any spring pads.
              It rubbed at full lock on these 205-50-16 wheels.

small update: spend 14 hours in the workshop to get my rear subframe out, drill a new screw thread (it's m12 instead of m14 now but i messed up the drill a bit by not centering it correctly).

First i wanted to clean and respray the subframe but no time since workshop is expensive. So it looks like this:

Maybe i will take it out again at home but not sure since it was a pain in the arse to get it out.

Get it aligned with the information that my rear tyres are rubbish and that i should replace them... more expenses.. yay!

I think i will cut the front spring a whole winding and maybe get the fenders out a bit by putting spacers between screw and fender. Hope that this way i dont need to pull/roll the fenders.

Might some Photoshopmaster paint the wheels black / titangrey ? just the inner part, the small lip will be polished. Anyone used the car as a polishing machine? i thought about just getting the rear up, put in first or second gear and just start grinding?

Cheers
              ok here we go:

1:
              M12 into an M14 hole (your subframe bushing) will make your car drive sloppy. Your subframe is under great stress while driving. And IT WILL move with a difference like that, resulting in a sloppy ride. I would advise to go for the original M14 thread.

2:
              When a removal of the subframe has been performed, a re-alignment is mandatory.

3:
              Start with 1/2 a winding at a time. This was my result of 2 windings at once:
              (didn't really care because #PARTSCAR)

4:
              I'm not a photoshop artist, but I think your car looks best on just silver wheels.
              Oh and dark centers for your wheels are sooooooo 2004

GOOD LUCK!
              Last edited by loekaaz; 06-04-2015, 06:47 AM.
              Lucas
              Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
              Originally posted by LCG
              High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

Hi and big thanks for the answers!

it's on the front subframe bushing. the nose (thingy on the car) fits into the bushing, the screw is just to hold it in place. different to the back bushing i think. no sloppy ride so far. need to see if i get it out another time and drill and drill and drill of if i can get some kind if fitting tube.

2 windigs cut is really deep. i will start with 1/2 a winding for a start.

I really like the last wagon you posted... long way to go ... :P

To lower the rear u also need to cut springs I guess? Need to refill my level system, it's empty right now so the car just sits on the coils right now (right?)
                Last edited by dreadkopp; 06-05-2015, 04:18 AM.

Comment

painted the wheels in anthracite ... not 100% sure if i leave them like this, thought it would turn out a bit brighter.

Also replaced the right front fender and added the amgkit for the fenders to get them out a bit. Really need to lower the front

Comment

long time no update. Was busy with university and work... also fixed some rust and replaced a fender/ fixed the other one, refilled my leveling system without taking pictures.

made some progress:

is used look a thing on wheels?

i guess not so i painted it silver again :P

then i started to replace the front springs:

since i couldn't find my 13 cm wrench socket and the nut is pretty f*cked up i couldn't loose the anti-roll bar... so it was a pain in the arse to get the old spring out and the new one in. Also about half an hour ago it turned dark so i couldn't continue....

looks like this right now:

Hopefully it will settle a bit.. also the anti-roll bar might push it up a bit since on the left side there is still the old spring... fingers crossed you will see a bit more lows tomorrow (if i manage to get the controlshaft of the leveling system to move :P )
                    Last edited by dreadkopp; 06-29-2015, 04:33 PM.

Comment

I love these wagons so much. The boxy look is timeless.

Sub'd.

Meet CPTNSLW
                      :/:Fly with me on Instagram!:/:Travel Blog Tickle Your Fancy? Click This!:/:

Comment

Raise both sides simultaneously and the sway bar won't be a problem.

Comment

yeah i figured that out too...after a while... a long while

anyway.. better pics and more low, still i have trouble in the back since the control rod of the self leveling system is extremly rusty... wasn't able to move it yet.

this is how it sits now:

also i made a roof rack (15€ for parts instead of 50€+ for a manufactured one) to fit a jetbag/roofbox/whateverthewordis since we are going to sweden in august. YEY!!! Also try to build a Tent which fits the back of the car.

Hopefully i can lower the rear in the next days.. Also i think i will raise the front a little bit again. First i'm a pussy and don't like scratching on the road all the time thers a small bumb and second it's a bit to low so it will lead to problems with our well known friends in the blue uniform.

Okay, thats it for now

Comment

Working...
                          X