e28: jigsaw puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e28: jigsaw puzzle

this story starts May of 2013 on the way to bimmerfest. My dad, brother and i with the help of a few other people just finished up our 5 lug swapped m52 e30 that we also got confirmation from bmw that it was originally an mtech 2 car.
    specs on car:
    1990 alpine 325is
    obd1 m52
    1997 m3 front brakes and suspension
    Z3M rear suspension
    raceland coilovers with ground control camber plates front
    ground control coilovers with billy sports rear
    staggered 17" style 32s 205/40 215/40

after about 20 miles and about 40 miles on the new set up i cam around a bend on the 5 north and an f350 dropped a full size spare from the bottom of the truck and a 10 inch tall wheel forced its way under a car with about 4 inches of ground clearance. Basically it didn't work out in the e30s favor:

the damage was a lot more extensive than we had originally thought. we thought we would need another control arm and be on our way. it ended up bended the farm pretty good. so the car sat like this for the last year:

our garage caught on fire taking an other one of our e30s with it:

around the same time i bought an s50 out of an auto 1995 m3 with only 80k miles so it should be a good strong motor.

and after the fire i bought the white e30 and the black torched e30 from my dad with the plans of yanking parts for my e28 and to part them out.

i picked up the s50 with the plans of throwing it in an e28. and I've been hunting for one for the last 6 months. finally found the right one today and this is what i came home with:
    1986 535i
    black on black
    manual
    super clean good running m30 (it has the least amount of oil that i have ever seen on any old bmw. its pretty unbelievable)
    super clean body, can't find a single dent.

and now i am selling my e36 this weekend and some fun starts to begin

now that my plans are starting to come together. i will start tearing into the e30s and parting them out.
    i will be taking the e36 m3 front brakes, aftermarket headers, getrag 260, clutch, flywheel, and a few other odds and ends for my e28 and the rest i will be selling. which i will make a thread for all that later.

this weekend when i sell my e36 to a friend i will be ordering catuned coilovers and a few other things and i will start putting together the suspension and brakes into the e28.

i will put together my motor swap to be complete and ready to be put it when i am ready and have a break from school. so probably around christmas time.

so over the next few months i think a pretty cool e28 will start coming together.
    Last edited by bimmerspotter; 09-24-2014, 02:23 AM.
    [IMG]http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag203/Kristianbolster/cars/nmdsnfm_zpsac00cc92.jpeg[/IMG]
    instagram= @BIMMERSPOTTER instagram: @kristianbolster

sounds promising...
    Lucas
    Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
    Originally posted by LCG
    High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

stupid update: got my e36 m3 front break assembly ready for assembly on a the new strut tubes i got from my friend. Waiting to order coilovers and i will get all that crap in. next week will be fun.
      plan on buying the following:
      Catuned coilovers
      Tires for my style 5's
      slotted disc brakes
      custom intake
      and some other crap that i can't remember

and i am having problems with the e28s clutch pedal, so i think i need to change the slave cylinder. also going to sink the bumpers and modify the bumper trim. and basic maintenance
      [IMG]http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag203/Kristianbolster/cars/nmdsnfm_zpsac00cc92.jpeg[/IMG]

Comment

I'm in to see the engine swap!
        1993 BMW 325i
        2001 BMW 330ci vert
        2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

Comment

i ended up deciding that i don't want to take apart the 5 lug swap that took so long to piece together so i ended up ordering e34 m5 front brakes from turner. hopefully it will all be here next week end, we'll see since it has to cross the whole country.

Comment

today i got my rebuilt e34 m5 front brakes in the mail, and for some reason even though we have the same size brakes on the alpine e30, i didn't realize how big the rotors were (315mm) and i instantly regretted not getting the drilled rotors. i didn't want to get drilled rotors if the brakes weren't going to fill out my wheels totally and they definitely are. And i am especially upset because the drilled rotors and standard ones are the same price on turner.

you can't really tell how big they are in pictures but they are a little over 12" and other than my own mistake i am really really happy with them and Turner Motorsport offers them for a pretty good price considering other options

i also trade my dad my beat up Momo sport steering wheel and NRG quick release and i am driving 8 hours to pick him up a 66 chevy c10 on sunday for this super sweet wood Alpina wheel. i don't know how rare they are but i have only see 2 other ones on the inter web. i am going to look for a alpine shift knob and get they sanded and restored to match. and other than a dash cover or new dash and sport seats thats all i am doing to the interior of the car

my Catuned coilovers and stainless brakelines were supposed to come today but I'm pretty sure the Fedex driver barely tapped on the door to deliver the package so no one answered to sign for the boxes and now i have to wait till monday at the earliest to put the coilovers on my car.

also need to go put new tires on 2 of my style 5s because they are shredded. and then i will get this car grounded sometimes next week

Comment

Subscribed for more, looks like a nice E28 and your plans sound awesome

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--My Shop: Where Passion Meets Livelihood (or tries to)--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

Sounds like you're off to a good start dude!

If you're having issues with the clutch pedal, check the pedal bracket assembly, and do the master and slave cylinders at the same time. Ireland Engineering also sells a braided steel master to slave cylinder hose for less than what the OEM piece runs. I did the whole thing after I moved to CA and it made a difference IMO.
                Ol Dirty Bastard - RIP

Photo by Alex Dooley
                2016 Ducati Scrambler, 2015 Subaru Impreza

Comment

i had a problem with my clutch too when i first bought mine. check the clutch pedal bracket. its a common problem with e28. you can weld in reinforcements. but i see youre in san marcos, i took mine to oceanside motorsport and they took care of it for me. but try checking that before you go replacing something else.

gimme a sec (e28 build)

Comment

that steering wheel doeee!!!! wow gorgeous
                    C280 Build Thread
                    C43 ///AMG Build Thread
                    E320 Wagon Build Thread

Follow me on Instagram:@SD_210

Comment

Originally posted by theseeker411 View Post
                      Sounds like you're off to a good start dude!

If you're having issues with the clutch pedal, check the pedal bracket assembly, and do the master and slave cylinders at the same time. Ireland Engineering also sells a braided steel master to slave cylinder hose for less than what the OEM piece runs. I did the whole thing after I moved to CA and it made a difference IMO.
                      Originally posted by theitchybeard View Post
                      i had a problem with my clutch too when i first bought mine. check the clutch pedal bracket. its a common problem with e28. you can weld in reinforcements. but i see youre in san marcos, i took mine to oceanside motorsport and they took care of it for me. but try checking that before you go replacing something else.

Yeah, I read online that it's inevitable that the pedal assembly will crack if you have an e28 or e24 and this is my 2nd e28 and I've had 2 e24 and it hadn't happened until now. But can't complain with that being pretty much they only problem. I will build a reinforcement bracket myself. Out of curiosity how much did Oceanside Motorsports charge you for it?

Comment

they charged about $350 for labor and everything. they replaced a couple other things as well. i have no idea how to weld so i figured id just ask them to do it since they specialize in old bimmers.

do you go to any meets in north county?

gimme a sec (e28 build)

Comment

Originally posted by theitchybeard View Post
                          they charged about $350 for labor and everything. they replaced a couple other things as well. i have no idea how to weld so i figured id just ask them to do it since they specialize in old bimmers.

do you go to any meets in north county?
                          Yeah that's beyond my price range haha I'll just do it my self. I am a terrible welder but my dad is a good welder so I have do all that stuff for me haha
                          I used to go to tacos and tuners a while ago but other than that I haven't been to any for a while

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerspotter View Post
                            Yeah that's beyond my price range haha I'll just do it my self. I am a terrible welder but my dad is a good welder so I have do all that stuff for me haha
                            I used to go to tacos and tuners a while ago but other than that I haven't been to any for a while
                            I have a nice complete manual pedal box from an e24 if you wanna throw that in instead.
                            -Jason
                            91 Lagunengrun 325i
                            88 635csi (Parted & Crushed)

Comment

Originally posted by JFarhanbod View Post
                              I have a nice complete manual pedal box from an e24 if you wanna throw that in instead.
                              I actually have one also from my brother e24 he parted. I think I am going to reinforce that new assembly and just get rid of the one in my car.

Thank you for the offer though!

Comment

Working...
                              X