Andy's '88 Volvo 745

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy's '88 Volvo 745

It was the first of May while out for a spirited drive in the early evening that I first saw her. She shined brightly in the sunset as she came my way. It wasn't until I realized she was just five minutes down the road that I set out to make her mine. After passing once or twice a day for a few weeks I had to stop and have a better look at her. Looking back, it was probably pretty obvious what I was interested in when I stopped by with her twin.

It turned out that the previous owner is a big Volvo enthusiast. He had picked her up from the fourth or fifth owner, depending on how you look at it, and after chatting for a while he told me I would be his first call when the time came. That day was October 13th. Not wanting the car to sit outside through the winter, as the car has always been garage kept, he thought it would be a good time to pass her on and move further into other projects. After a quick test drive (the car rolled over 250,000 the first time I drove it) and an inspection from my go-to mechanic, she became mine on October 21st. Here’s a picture of the first fill up and a shot next to the river after her first wash.

So far I have focused mostly on a solid stage zero restoration, replacing bits and pieces that have broken over the years and getting her cleaned up.

Above was the original intro my build thread over on turbobricks.com. I'll try to keep both threads updated as well as possible.

Here's another photo of the two cars together. The sedan is racking up the mileage now with a little over 480k.

Here is the final shot of the car before it went under the knife.

About a week or two after the car was parked I received a package. Didn't mind to take a picture before tearing them apart, but here are the new headlights for the car. A set of European E-code headlights. I breezed through the restoration of these without taking any photos unfortunately.

And the parts kept piling up.

Next up was the suspension. I really wish that I had taken more pictures, but it really is some basic stuff. Got the iPd springs and Bilstein HD struts and shocks installed (common Volvo starting point).

The foam that the original headliners came with has been known to deteriorate over time. It got to a point where it became a distraction, so out it came. Here's a picture shortly before I yanked it. Picked up a new one from a 960 that features a glass moonroof, so that'll be exciting to get installed soon.

And here is what is to come later this summer, along with some more low and performance modifications.

Last edited by fortbrick; 07-16-2015, 10:18 AM. Reason: Update photo hosting
    '88 Volvo 745 Turbo
    Instagram @Andy_Wilder

Will be watching this closely for inspiration. Was just given a free, running '90 745; unfortunately it's n/a and auto. Hope to nut up and try a manual swap.
    Audi S5 daily | Audi UrS6 project | instagram @benznotmercedes

Comment

in to see where this goes

Comment

Subbed for this!

Originally posted by TRaNz
        yeee, coz RainbowDash is the bestest. its fun combing its hair and tail isnt it? =P
        Originally posted by TRaNz
        They had an Accord Euro meet.....had to show face and you know.....win some respect....and gain exp points to unlock a new sector along with tier 3 vinyl and decals. =D

Comment

Had a great time today at the show today.

Last edited by fortbrick; 07-16-2015, 10:19 AM.
          '88 Volvo 745 Turbo
          Instagram @Andy_Wilder

Comment

Absolutely beautiful. And clean for six(?) owners! Sub'd, looking forward to the wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Darkyoshi154 View Post
              Absolutely beautiful. And clean for six(?) owners! Sub'd, looking forward to the wagon
              Thank you! It was very well taken care of by its previous owners. I'm a bit of a clean freak, so that helps also.

I should add that this will be a slow moving project, mostly due to funds. I'm just a 20 yr/old guy going to school and working at a dead end job.
              '88 Volvo 745 Turbo
              Instagram @Andy_Wilder

Comment

Awesome 745, glad to see you got a build thread started here. Did you slap on the suspension/control upgrades all at once or in increments? Curious to hear what benefits you found from the chassis brace/poly bushings. Saw iPd has a front end bushings kit but it isn't full poly.
                #WhatTheFuckisDrifftDrafftGarage
                @DrifftDrafftGarage

Comment

Will be watching this closely for inspiration.

Comment

dickusfu is a spambot...

The intro was 50 Shades of Volvo hahahaha. Looks like new, nice work

Can't wait to see those meshies on it

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
                    @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

Originally posted by TheMorningAfter View Post
                      Awesome 745, glad to see you got a build thread started here. Did you slap on the suspension/control upgrades all at once or in increments? Curious to hear what benefits you found from the chassis brace/poly bushings. Saw iPd has a front end bushings kit but it isn't full poly.
                      I installed the front suspension in two stages. Stage one included the springs, struts, and sway bars. I forget how long I waited to finish it, but it wasn't long. I got bored of it not wanting to hook a corner and was ready to add the rest, which included everything that I listed above. The rear suspension was done about a week later after I spun out in a corner on my way to work and almost hit a guard rail. The upper and lower chassis brace along with the 960 subframe braces make it feel like a different car. I didn't notice much from the poly bushings besides the steering being a little tighter. I haven't used iPd's bushings before, mine are all from SuperPro.

Originally posted by rice4life View Post
                      The intro was 50 Shades of Volvo hahahaha. Looks like new, nice work

Can't wait to see those meshies on it
                      Yeah, I had a little too much that night when that was written and thought it was funny... but that's pretty much how it went. The wheels will take quite a bit of work to get them looking like new again, but I'll make it happen. Hoping to have them finished and on the car by NoWo this fall.
                      Last edited by fortbrick; 06-10-2014, 02:35 PM.
                      '88 Volvo 745 Turbo
                      Instagram @Andy_Wilder

Comment

Originally posted by fortbrick View Post
                        I installed the front suspension in two stages. Stage one included the springs, struts, and sway bars. I forget how long I waited to finish it, but it wasn't long. I got bored of it not wanting to hook a corner and was ready to add the rest, which included everything that I listed above. The rear suspension was done about a week later after I spun out in a corner on my way to work and almost hit a guard rail. The upper and lower chassis brace along with the 960 subframe braces make it feel like a different car. I didn't notice much from the poly bushings besides the steering being a little tighter. I haven't used iPd's bushings before, mine are all from SuperPro.
                        Good to know, I was debating whether to buy the lower chassis brace I've been seeing on iPd and other retailers and I think you just settled that.

Mind me asking where you found the Euro code headlights, and how much you paid? Or what you did with the old light kit? I have a soft spot for the quirky quad headlight setups Volvo used on their 80's models.
                        #WhatTheFuckisDrifftDrafftGarage
                        @DrifftDrafftGarage

Comment

Originally posted by TheMorningAfter View Post
                          Good to know, I was debating whether to buy the lower chassis brace I've been seeing on iPd and other retailers and I think you just settled that.

Mind me asking where you found the Euro code headlights, and how much you paid? Or what you did with the old light kit? I have a soft spot for the quirky quad headlight setups Volvo used on their 80's models.
                          The lower brace definitely does more of the work than the upper brace, and you'll pay twice as much for the upper one because they are NLA. It took me a few years to find the two that I have.

I actually got the E-Codes for free. I have some contacts in Sweden that like to trade for certain US only parts like my old headlights, which are everywhere here and pretty pricey over there. My other car has the US lights still, I just wanted something a bit different for this one. You're honestly better off finding an '89 and older model if you want the older front end. You'll pay the difference in parts alone that you would just finding a nice driver and selling your current one.
                          '88 Volvo 745 Turbo
                          Instagram @Andy_Wilder

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by dickusfu View Post
                              Originally posted by peakesshou View Post
                              Is this a common thing?
                              '88 Volvo 745 Turbo
                              Instagram @Andy_Wilder

Comment

Working...
                              X