Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '88 Golf GTI - Rotbox Round II

Hey everyone,

I thought since I’ve been making a little bit of progress with my Golf it was about time I started a thread. I basically bought this beat up heap back in January of this year as I wanted to return to VW’s, having previously owned a Mk2 Golf that I really regretted selling. This was my Mazda Eunos I built that I had to sell half way through the build to fund the mk2 project.

The new one is a 1988 8v GTI, and was all original as it left the factory. Battle scars included!

I stripped the car back to inspect for rust, much like my last mk2, the rear arches were even more rotten than could have been anticipated. Luckily the rear arches were the only structural area’s that weren’t solid though, so she was worth saving!

After a month of saving, and a week at a body shop, they came back looking like new! I also had all the trim holes welded up as I don’t plan on putting the arch trims or door mouldings back on. I like the poverty spec looks of the base models, but with the power of the GTI!

Suspension was next, I heard good things about AP coilovers, and they fitted my budget nicely. 8 days later they arrived in fresh from Germany.

I fitted them as soon as I got home from work that evening.

The bonnet was dented, and the paint was cracked. It needed to be replaced, but I thought I’d be a bit creative with it first. I rusted it along the contours of the dents. A few ‘purists’ said I had ruined the whole car others loved it though haha

The GTI had been stood unused for some time before I bought it, and a lot of parts weren’t up to scratch, being old, seized and perished. So I fitted new brake callipers, disc’s, pads, master cylinder, wheel bearings, exhaust rubbers, fixed some coolant leaks on the engine etc. I sold my e36 so I could enjoy the Mk2 on a daily basis, so reliability is key.

My work mate Lewis was selling some BBS Rz’s for a reasonable price, so I bought them as temporary wheels. I think BBS’s are a bit common on mk2’s, but they’d do the job for now until I could afford something a bit more special and out of the ordinary! Then another mate Dan offered to refurb them as he has a sand blaster and spray booth at his work. I went for BMW mineral grey, I think they turned out really nice. Dan's a hero!

I spaced them out with H&R hubcentric’s, as 7j et24 is weak. However with their smaller stretched tyres, and affectively new lower offsets, I quite like the final look.

I also picked up a black bonnet to replace the rusty one (It’ll get painted eventually).

This brings me up to date, having just fitted the wheels yesterday. I need to pull the front arches a tad more, then lower it more all round, however rain has stopped play today!

It's still early days, but I've got lots of plans in store for my GTI!
    Last edited by Greg|H; 05-27-2014, 12:04 PM.
    My '88 Golf GTI - http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=59460

lowered, because it makes the boobies bounce

good start, in for more!
    Instagram: @ask83n

Originally posted by DragginWagon
    Always build your car for yourself. and dont tell me you cant afford to.
    This thread is a perfect example of taking lemons and making fucking jager bombs!

Comment

Originally posted by BenVAG View Post
      good start, in for more!
      Thanks man, I'll keep the updates coming!

Comment

I've been practising/learning to take photo's in manual today (must.stop.using.idiot.auto), so have a few shots of the mk2 to share..

The next plans are to loose the battle scars up front - source another genuine bumper iron and set of wings.

Comment

Gorgeous MK2, this car is still on my list of "I need to own" cars at some point. Love the dual rounds as well.
          2002 Fort Knox Gold Ford Focus.
          LoFurbish. www.lofurbish.com
          Build Thread
          My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Granny Gold View Post
            Gorgeous MK2, this car is still on my list of "I need to own" cars at some point. Love the dual rounds as well.
            Thanks This one has the 8v GTI engine, its a blast to drive. I'd recommend you buy one at some point, but I'm slightly bias haha. I'm a fan of the quad lights too, they're staying for sure

Comment

Despite being adamant that the quads should stay, I tried on a single light grille a friend had lying around

I think I'll repaint the red strip on the quad grille and put that back on though. Single lights suit the 'bare arch' look, but it's lacking those classic GTI looks at the minute.

and one with a friends e36..

Comment

Interior pics? this looks so damn awesome ;0
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks man! The interior is completely standard, right down to still having the original radio lol, I kind of like it that way. I can only find this photo for now. I'll get a better one soon

Comment

I like that interior!
                    Instagram: @GregKline55

1999 M Coupe
                    1987 325e
                    1987 325IS

Comment

+1^ nice start.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

This is great, I miss my Mk2s...

I vote for the 2-light grille, I never liked the quads!

Comment

Originally posted by K-Line View Post
                            I like that interior!
                            Thanks When I first went to view the car, it really won me over. The exterior was littered with dents and rust, but the interior was all complete, and aside from a little bit of bolster foam wear, in really good condition!

Originally posted by Chasen88 View Post
                            +1^ nice start.
                            Originally posted by Anonymoose View Post
                            Nice!
                            Thanks guys More updates when funds roll in on pay day!

Originally posted by synth ruiner View Post
                            This is great, I miss my Mk2s...

I vote for the 2-light grille, I never liked the quads!
                            I have to admit the 2-light grille is really growing on me, I just feeling guilty removing the original GTI bits

Comment

I got some better photo's of the interior, its a little dusty, but I do use it everyday

I've got a fibre glass sparco bucket seat and omp deep dish suede wheel laying around from a previous project that I'd like to put in the golf, but the standard interior is decent and complete.

What would you all do, keep the standard interior, or spice it up with some race car parts?
                              Last edited by Greg|H; 05-20-2014, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X