My BMW E46 M3 Carbon Black SMG II Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My BMW E46 M3 Carbon Black SMG II Build

Thought I would share a build thread I have from another forum. Hope you guys liek the direction the build is taking. Not long until show season starts, I really need to get my a$$ in gear and get things fitted. At the moment i've jsut got a big stock pile of parts waiting to go on lol.

Heres a few details of the car:

2002 plate
    80k on the clock
    SMG II
    Carbon Black
    Black Leather interior
    BMW Widescreen Sat Nav
    CSL Reps
    Genuine CSL Exhaust
    AC Schnitzer Front Splitter
    AC Schnitzer Rear Diffuser
    AC Schnitzer Rear Boot Spoiler
    AC Schnitzer Rear Window Spoiler
    AC Schnitzer Pedal Set
    Depo smoked front indicators
    Depo smoked side repeaters
    4 previous owners

Since I bought the car I've done the following mods:

Upgraded the license plate light with LED's as per the pic below

I've also got some color coded kidney grills which I'm hoping to pick up this eve and I've got a set of genuine ACS mats on order from MStyle however they said ACS have a backlog in Germany so there going to take 1-2 months to arrive annoyingly.

I also managed to snap this bad boy up, i;ve wanted one of these on my BMW ever since Vorsteiner they started making them and I luckily managed to get my hands on one.

Planned Mods:

CF Silver or Normal CF interior trim including SMG Paddles and Upper and Lower Steering Wheel Cowel
    Monochrome Badges all round
    LED Monochrome Kickplates
    BC Coilover Kit
    Eisemann 83mm Exhaust with SS non resonated X pipe (or possibly Eisemann Y pipe) and 100 cell cats
    ACS Type 2 Alloy wheels in maybe 10j/9.5j front and 11j rear with colour coded gloss centres
    Hamann fog light ducts
    6000k headlight bulbs
    LED interior light swap
    Angel Eyes
    LaminX Front headlights and rear light clusters
    Carbon Bonnet badges
    Install my custom sound install from the 330 into the M3 along with a new W202r. However to compromise on weight and given that I think my attitude towards some things is changing I will be sticking with 1 sub through the ski hatch instead of 3 that I had in the 330. Head rest screen will be swapped over and I am hoping to go for some Rainbow or JL audio components. I had focal ones before which were great but I thought i;d try some different ones out this time.

Regarding that rear spoiler , I really used to want one back when I was like 20 but when I saw it on the car it looked at bit OTT (must be getting old ) to me and so I was planning on swapping it for a CSL boot lid however the more I look at it the more it is growing on me again so I am considering leaving it. Flame Suit on and ready . I'm still deciding.

A couple of updates, the modding bug is biting away at me so I thought a few small mods won't hurt ...

Nothing better than a big package like this to come home to after work:

I used to have genuine Hamann mats in my 330 which I always thought was a nice touch and in keeping with my Hamann theme. So I thought i;d do the same this time given i'm doing an ACS theme.

Stopped off at SSDD Motorsport and picked up a few bits and bobs:

Some of it fitted:

ACS Steering Wheel Badge

CF Boot Badge (matching bonnet badge was out of stock annoyingly so will have to wait)

and a personal fav of mine, the color coded kidney grills which make the car look so much more aggressive imo compared to the oem ones

A quick update...My D2 coilies and rear adjustable camber arms arrived. Looks like a good bit of kit:

And I have managed to secure the wheels I wanted and done some test fitting.

Some test fitting over at CustomCars. I was trying my best to hide my excitement but I think the game was up lol

They had a job trying to get my wheels off as whoever owned the car before me had new tyres put on and the tyre place over torqued the hell out of the nuts to the point where when we tried to take one of the wheels off the tyre iron snapped in half straight through.

But with some perserverance and helps from another fellow BMW enthusiast we got hold of another and eventually got them off.

Once the wheels are built up, i'm hoping they will look like this: (but with gloss carbon black centres)

Just realised theres no pics of the Exhaust when it arrived: Eisenmann Race Back Box 83mm Tips & matching Eisenmann Mid Pipe

Last edited by Adilm3; 11-09-2014, 02:58 AM.

Ok guys, another little update. I dropped off the car to dips at Custom Cars last week to have my diff ceal replaced as it was leaking along with fresh plugs on it and also to have my Eisenmann Race Backbox fitted along with the Eisenmann mid pipe.

As you can see from the first pic the notorious BMW falanges which hook on the back box to the midpipe had corroded away/fallen off but Dips was well versed in dealing with this situation and proceeded to get some shiney new OEM ones on for me:

The Eisenmann mid box was also welded in place of the OEM X pipe so the BMW rasp is no longer there. Not sure how I feel about it at the moment. I do kinda miss the rasp but sometimes I did think it was annoying. Time will tell.

and heres the exhaust finished:

Next up, need to fit the coilies and tints. Hoping to go for a track day at bedford aerodome next weekend. Its my first so fingers crossed weather holds out

Comment

Looks promising! but please lose the wing, it doesnt suit the car. But can't wait to see how this turns out

Comment

Originally posted by Twannnd View Post
        Looks promising! but please lose the wing, it doesnt suit the car. But can't wait to see how this turns out
        Ye tbh I am starting to think the same and will probably end up going for CSL bootlid. Its a shame because so many people have CSL bootlids these days adn the cars jsut goign to blend into the crowd but O well. The only other option is to get a the thin ACS lip spoiler which is kinda liek the M3 lip spoiler.

Apparently BMW are ceasing to make CSL bootlids now except on special order basis so CSL bootlid prices are goign to go through the roof on the 2nd hand market

Comment

Hi all,

Its been a while since I updated the thread. My cars been away for a few months now @ CustomCars having some work done to it so I thought I'd give a little update as to how things are progressing and share with everyone:

I did a little mod thanks to Teddy at SSDD Motorsport and bought an LED interior Light package to sharpen things up a bit in the cabin. The strength of the light is great, in fact it can be a bit too much at night lol but looks cool.

While I was at SSDD Motorsport I had him hook me up with some Angel Eyes:

Then the ModFather aka Dips work began over at CustomCars:

Out with the Old (the tints were looking rather tatty when I originally bought the car)

and in the the new:

Next up was the suspension. I had got a great deal on a D2 coilover kit. Thanks to DJ Syxx for the heads up and also managed to get rear adjustable camber arms for a great price too.

Old Setup:

OEM VS D2 Springs:

OEM vs D2 Rear Camber Arm:

OEM VS special smaller Drop Link:

Installed:

While the wheels were off I instructed dips to do a little arch rolling for me as so that I don;t have any probs getting the ACS Type II's on when the time comes:

I noticed I was having some vibration issues when braking from highspeed and the brakes and discs which were on the car when I bought it were virtually like new so I had a feeling that maybe thay had not been bedded in properly by the previous owner. After a while the vibrating was becoming annoyign so thanks to a fellow forum member from another site I managed to get a good deal on a set of brand new front BMW OEM discs and pads and had them installed by dips:

OLD:

New:

While I was the BMW Show at Gaydon I had a chance to see a friends car in the flesh and one thing which I just had to have was his custom front wing illuminated grill badges so had him make me up a monochrome set :

The cars still being worked on but hopefully picking it up this weekend with the Vorstiener GTR Bonnet, Carbon Fibre CSL Replica Bootlid, Hamman Fog Lights and Carbon Fibre interior trim installed and then all thats left will be the wheels which are still going to take some time but with winter now fast approaching I am thinking of holding off until next summer before putting them on. Hummm, will see.

Hopefully will have some pics of the almost finished project to post on the weekend.

Thanks for looking.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing the completed/updated parts on. The Exhaust looks and fits SOOOOOO much better. Did you remove the hideous wing?

progress IS a slow process

Comment

Originally posted by R2dmax View Post
              Looking forward to seeing the completed/updated parts on. The Exhaust looks and fits SOOOOOO much better. Did you remove the hideous wing?

Sure did ... Will have some pics up over the weekend of the replacement lol. I went for a Carbon Fibre CSL style bootlid....But part of me is going to miss the ACS Spoiler lol

Comment

Heres a few updates I wanted to share:

This was the state of my front splitter when I handed it in to my bodyshop:

and after Dips @ Customcars worked his magic, here is the final result:

Heres a few before and after shots of the rest of the bodywork I was having done. As the splitter was being repaired and sprayed and I was having the bonnet replaced with the Vosrteiner GTR one I decided to just have the whole front end of the car resprayed including front wings and bumper:

Vorsteiner GTR Bonnet prep:

Finished:

Some shots of the front bumper and front wings resprayed (nothing like some fresh paint )

As you can see I also had him blend in the Hamann fog light duct covers for a cleaner look.

Then the front wings:

Last edited by Adilm3; 11-08-2014, 08:16 AM.

Comment

He then got to work on prepping and spraying the carbon fibre CSL style bootlid which I purchased from SSDD Motorsport here in the UK. In terms of after market csl style bootlids, this is one of the few which has good fitament so i decided to go for it. I also wanted to have one which was carbon fibre and unfortunately the genuine CSL one's are as you all know not carbon. I asked Dips to spray the bonnet up to the top of the arch and blend the paint in leaving some of the carbon weave exposed:

Thats it in terms of paint and bodywork now.

I managed to get hold of some carbon fibre interior trim including full steering wheel trim and front seat backs so had these installed although the front seat backs are still yet to go on:

Here are some shots of my original trim vs the new carbon trim I bought:

Some pics of the seat backs being prepped. I had Dips to a new laquer as they had a few marks as I bought them used:

Keeping with the carbon theme i've bought some replacement carbon fibre BMW rondels and also a fresh number plate with 3D gel lettering in carbon fibre. I opted for a shorter front number plate as I have had the numberplate carrier on the front bumper deleted as you can see from my previous pics of the front bumper.

Now I had purchased a set of Storm Motorworks extended SMG illuminated paddles. I cannot recommend these highly enough. They are the best quality aftermarket paddles on the market in my opinion and way better than the cheap ebay stuff. Plus they have the added bonus of being illuminated on the + and -. They come in two different finishes. I went for the brushed aluminum with the idea to have them overlayed in carbon fibre to match the rest of my interior however it seems to do this on these paddles and have them come out still looking good is more difficult then I had realized so for now I will have to leave them as they are unfortunately however they still look great.

Thats about it for now. Hope to pick the car up in the next week or so. I have decided to leave having the ACS's built up until next summer as the winters in the UK are awful and they will only end up needing a refurb by the time next summer rolls round.

Thanks for looking.
                  Last edited by Adilm3; 11-24-2014, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Nice start man!

Comment

Originally posted by Dane083 View Post
                      Nice start man!
                      Thanks mate

Comment

This is an amazing build man, love the coverage of all the juicy little details!

Comment

deng, your build took a shaaaarp turn. At first I was like dafuq? by the end I was like deeng.

Comment

Originally posted by Mehowski View Post
                            This is an amazing build man, love the coverage of all the juicy little details!
                            Thanks. Hopefully i'll manage to get some nice pics before the winter sets in of the build finished apart from the rims.

Originally posted by rozayE36 View Post
                            deng, your build took a shaaaarp turn. At first I was like dafuq? by the end I was like deeng.
                            ha ha, ye, its slowly gotten there through the year.

Hopefully when its all finished for next summer show season it will be worthy of a stance works decal

Comment

A little update fresh out off the presses:

Parts starting to go back on.

AC Schnitzer Splitter repaired and refitted, bumper resprayed, front wings resprayed and Hamann fog light covers fitted and blended with OEM bumper:

And here is a vid of some custom illuminated side grills which i had a friend put together for me in Monochrome in action:

Comment

Working...
                              X