Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BDC Audi Q5 STEALTHPRJKT - static / rotiform / matt black / suv wtf.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BDC Audi Q5 STEALTHPRJKT - static / rotiform / matt black / suv wtf.

Greetings. I've decided to post a build thread since I feel the car isn't quite finished at the moment, but getting there. So this is mostly a recap of what has happened in the past year....

After deciding to part with my beloved A4 3.0TDI, I wanted to get something that was 1. slightly bigger and more spacious, 2. slightly more comfortable for my family and small daughter, 3. a bit out of the ordinary. One option was to get a wagon and bag it, but I felt like that has been done so many times, I wanted to try something I hadn't really seen.

I had always liked the Q5, but an SUV felt weird after driving slammed cars for the past 10+ years. Airride it in my country is out of the question as there is no TUV-approved setup for the Q5 and the laws here are very strict. Coilovers would be a challenge to get low enough. then again, I don't mind a challenge, so fuck it. After owning close to 15 cars in the past, I got my first SUV.

Imported a barely broken in 3.0TDI with all the bells and whistles from Germany, installed K&W coilovers within days of getting the car and started tinkering.

I dropped it about 100mm which was a good start with the oem wheels. I replaced the stock wheels with identical but 1" wider 20" S5 rims and put some meaty winter tires on them as that was the only reasonable size for them.

Next up, I tinted the back lights, had the grille painted matte black. This was the first phase of making it look more "stealth".

After this, last spring I decided to finally do what I wanted to do many times with my previous cars: taping the whole car matte black. I had a guy I know who was pretty good at it, so I took the car to his shop:

more photos of the process on our FB page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=18d16ea86c

The BDC GARAGE / Audi Q5 STLTHPRJKT / Audi A4 APR stg3+ / Porsche 964 C4 airride / Aircooled Dpt
    www.bdcfamilia.com | facebook.com/bdcfamilia | @BDCFAMILIA (Instagram)

At the same time it was being taped, I started building a custom front bumper for it as I couldn't find anything on the market that I liked, and I was never a fan of the S-line bumper. I'm not very experienced with body work but I've done some minor things in the past, so this seemed like an interesting project.

So I bought a stock front bumper (non s-line), and a Votex front skirt for a Passat:

the skrirt was too long and the wrong shape, of cours, so I had to butcher it quite a bit.

after countless hours, it finally started to look right:

The BDC GARAGE / Audi Q5 STLTHPRJKT / Audi A4 APR stg3+ / Porsche 964 C4 airride / Aircooled Dpt

Comment

After getting the car back from being wrapped, I finally got the new wheels which I had been waiting for since late last winter:

Needless to say, tire size was very tricky with this car. I went with 10x21" rims as 20's on such a big car were quite small, and 22's looked weird with a super low tire on a big car like this. I was never a fan of this pimped out look on SUV's, so 21" seemed like a good compromize. 21" tires are quite rare, but I found the right ones from Pirelli (265/35/21).

Just before getting the wheels one, I tinkered with the coilovers to get the car a bit lower. The front had adjustability left, but the rear springs had to be customized. here is the result:

Last edited by mikebagel; 08-09-2013, 05:44 PM.

Comment

aand finally, after finishing the bumper, waiting for the painter to prep it, and having it wrapped, I finally got it back and installed it last night.

...which brings us to today, and this is how the car looks:

I'm very happy with how the bumper turned out in my hands.

More photos will follow sometime soon, meanwhile you can check some old material on our fb page
        Last edited by mikebagel; 08-09-2013, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Love it, what's next on your to do list?

Comment

I'm looking into having the shocks shortened a bit to make the ride softer. its probably dropped a good 120mm, so the shocks are pretty stiff at this point.

I also want to tint the front windows mildly, maybe put 5mm wider spacers in the rear, possibly do something to the rear bumper. I'd love to tune the engine as well, but can't afford it right now. I had MTM software on my A4 with the same engine and it was awesome

And most importantly, I need to shoot some proper photos. The car is surpringly hard to capture on photos, it usually looks a lot smaller than it does in irl. in person it looks pretty crazy since its a big fat car but a lot lower than it should be

Comment

oh dear god this looks amazing
              Instagram: @dillonmakar

1986 Bagged s50 BMW e30 HERE

Comment

Man that thing is awesome!

Build =>http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=51076

Comment

Baller as fuck. Good job man.

Comment

This is amazing

Comment

and i was just thinking earlier today after seeing a Q5 "someone should slam one." thank you.
                      i don't use a computer for music, Strictly HARDware, Cassettes, Vinyl, Samplers and Drum-Machines.

https://soundcloud.com/baphcat

Comment

WOW........ is the only word coming out of my mouth....

Comment

cheers guys

hope to have proper photos soon...

Comment

Wow that looks amazing! Were the coilovers made for the Q5 or for another platform?
                            sigpic

Follow me on Instagram! @cskzero

Comment

Awesome!!

Instagram - @choadyhighroller
                              Originally posted by nickskater09
                              I think Jody, along with Ashton, like to push the line between "street legal" and "realistically driveable".

Comment

Working...
                              X