Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Helicopter Turbine Powered Roadster (Not a turbo miata!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helicopter Turbine Powered Roadster (Not a turbo miata!)

I am a graduating senior in mechanical engineering at the University of Arizona and for our senior design we are working with a local company to install an Allison t63c18 Turboshaft into a Spitfire to serve as a test platform for a digital turbine controller. Currently, the engine runs a very complex hydro-mechanical fuel pump(similar to the old Porsche and Corvette mechanical fuel injection systems) which was designed with the turbine in the late '50s.
    The turbine is fairly ubiquitous as far as turbines go, and was installed in everything from jet rangers to the Goodyear blimp. It makes around 320 hp at 53,000rpm (%100 throttle) and 425ft-lbs. It is of split-shaft design so the drive shaft and n1 turbine shaft spin independently. This lets us not need a clutch or transmission, since the viscous coupling of the n1 and n2 act like a torque converter.

We have been given a turbine with a custom output shaft with an automotive v-belt accessory drive, and a 12v ac-delco GM alternator.
    I modeled the frame and turbine to design the steering and do some studies of torsional rigidity. I am also currently modelling the body to verify fitment of various parts, including the huge, 6" oval exhaust tubing.

We received the car for free from a local british sports car shop, and had quite a bit of rust. we have recently patched the rust and got some of the body in primer.

Since we only have a 3000$ budget, we will be using the stock brakes, suspension, etc., so we will never get to drive this thing in anger probably.

24V Helecopter starter/ generator leads a little too close for comfort. We will have to trim the a-arm mount and re-work it a bit.

Getting ready for the first body test fit. Rear suspension and frame stripped and ready for a rebuild.

Here, you can see that the compressor housing needs to be were the firewall is. We trimmed the firewall so the turbine is about 12 inches into the "cockpit".

One of our guys massaging the firewall. We made just a simple square cut for easy fabrication of the removable aluminum plate "trans" tunnel.

A view of the space in the cockpit.

First mockup. The engine weighs about 50lbs less than the stock engine and trans, and doesn't require the cooling system, so the car sits a bit higher than stock now. We will run a 22 gal race tank, 2 12v deep cycle batteries and have a roll cage, so we will probably be back to stock weight, when its all said and done.
    Last edited by godzillus; 05-01-2013, 08:53 PM.

this is one cool build

W I L D M A N 'S R O D S H O P

R.I.P P.WALKER 2013/11/30

Comment

Wow.
      IG: ossiep

Comment

Holy.

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

This is wild! I can't wait to see what's next

Comment

wicked!
            1984 BMW 745i - 1949 Plymouth Business Coupe
            I always know when im hitting boost because i can start to feel the springs of the seat in my back

Comment

This is wicked awesome, how do you guys plan to route the exhaust?
              1981 300TD 4 speed
              2000 BMW M5

Mike Finnelly
              , on Flickr
              IG @michaelfinnelly

Comment

Never thought I'd see anything like this on here. Crazyness
                BMW E34 V8 - Daily
                Merc 190E - Sold
                BMW 635CSi - Project
                Mercedes 190e Build Thread
                Euro BMW E24 Build Thread /Style is personal, fun is universal._____IG: @levonvandamage

Comment

Keen to see how this works out, this is a totally outside the box build.
                  Drinking Enthusiast with a Car Problem

Comment

Holy shit
                    [URL="http://bagriders.com/modlab/"][COLOR="MediumTurquoise"][B]BagRiders[/B][/COLOR][/URL]

Comment

I'm in!
                      My 1978 Porsche 924 build thread is quite boring.
                      * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

STRLW // Photography focused on vehicles

Comment

Oh, you LITERALLY meant turbine!
                        DEL SOL BUILD THREAD
                        E28 BUILD THREAD

I am.... SICKWITHTHEPEN

Comment

No biggy.. Just the normal turbine swap you see almost every day..

On a real note.. Awesome!
                          My 2012 Fit sport build
                          My EF sedan build
                          LowMonroe:

Comment

Well, i'm speechless

Cheap ain't badass, badass ain't cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by mike-81-240d View Post
                              This is wicked awesome, how do you guys plan to route the exhaust?
                              We are thinking of running it out the sides, just behind the front wheels.
                              The exhaust is 1200 deg F so its kind of a big deal to get it away from the driver.
                              The hood will most likely have an inverted NACA Duct-looking power bulge, but we will model it in solidworks to see what it looks like.

Originally posted by los02 View Post
                              Oh, you LITERALLY meant turbine!
                              Yeah this car is ALL turbo
                              Last edited by godzillus; 03-05-2013, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X