Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My E39 540i - Going on Air

Hi all,
    First of all I have been an avid reader of stanceworks for a long time just decided to register and start a thread. Share my experience of installing air ride in the beamer.

before I throw in a bunch of pics and what not, I just want to quickly break down my thinking when I was looking at air ride.

- need to keep it as a daily driver
    - first air ride install
    - My Goal is to have the ride slightly firmer then the e39 M5
    - I need a kit that can with stand -30 Celsius
    - I need to avoid obstacles and pot holes, alberta roads are horrible.
    - I like to be low just cause and who wouldn't like to have their car on the floor for fun.

I went to SEMA 2012 and spent quite a bit of time with the AirLift and AccuAir reps trying to figure out which system was better for me. AccuAir is based on height measurement and AirLift is a pressure based system.

In the end I chose AirLift due to the simple fact that there is less to go wrong and troubleshoot if there are problems, the controller also shows you which line is "leaking" if it is.

Few things about the car:
    - 2003 and Silver, fully loaded except M package
    - approaching 100,000km
    - Dinan strut bars front and back
    - Dinan sway bars front and back
    - Dinan CAI, throttle body, cat back exhaust
    - Dinan ECU chip
    - Koni Coils, which are coming out

So on to the fun stuff....I'll try to take as many pics as I can over the course of the install.

Here is the AirLift Kit with the AutoPilot V2 Controller...

How the car sits today...

a night after drifting in some fresh snow

Engine bay shot

Last night I began tearing out the backseats and trim to be able to access the rear coilovers and also gutted the trunk/spare wheel well to provide somewhere to mount everything. My whole thinking behind this install is that I would preferably like everything to be hidden so it looks stock and the trunk remains usable. I finally got the kit last night so I did some layout mock ups and also made sure I had all the fittings...which I do not so the heavy duty check valve will have to wait.

Heads up to all e39 owners...when removed 60/40 seats from the back, you will see this black metal cap (center bottom of pic) with a bolt through it, remove that bolt and metal piece once the sides bolts on the outer ends of the seats are removed and the whole back seat pops right out.

The rear reading light pops right out with a flat head screw driver, 10mm socket to remove these two bolts and then there are two clips holding the top in so just had to pry carefully to remove that c pillar. The reason for removing all this is that the coils mount right under the speakers...

The next step was to remove the rear parcel shelf, note to e39 owners with the slide up privacy screen in the back. The whole screen comes out with the shelf, there are three bolts on the trunk roof that hold it down though. The power connector is off the passenger side. I also gutted the trunk...took everything i could out of there for the time being.

Car is a little stacked up with parts lol, all good fun and the fun part begins today after I finish the day job...

If you have any questions or want pics taken of certain points of the install just let me know and ill try to do my best.
    Last edited by AiredE39; 01-25-2013, 11:29 AM.
    Mods: Dinan Upgrades (Intake, Throttle Body, Exhaust, ECU, sway bars, strut braces), e60 Short Shift, Airlift bags, Autopilot v2, Rieger M5 bumper.

Ooooooh I'm excited for this.

instagram: @elliotjlong

Comment

Yes Yes Yes this is going to be so awesome i can't wait. Take lots of pics im thinking baout doing this for my e39!

Comment

Subd on this build

Comment

Got the bro to snap some pics. Mock up layout in the wheel well...tight fit on the drivers side of the tank with the fitting.

Controller fits nicely in the little rollup compartment on the center console
          Mods: Dinan Upgrades (Intake, Throttle Body, Exhaust, ECU, sway bars, strut braces), e60 Short Shift, Airlift bags, Autopilot v2, Rieger M5 bumper.

Comment

Its gonna be sick bro, just absolutely make sure you do the install without cutting any corners. It will save you a lot of time and headache especially since you will do alot of winter driving. Im just saying this because an ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure... So have fun and lay that bitch out!!

Comment

Originally posted by boltcd View Post
              Yes Yes Yes this is going to be so awesome i can't wait. Take lots of pics im thinking baout doing this for my e39!
              I hesitated for a while about what to do, coils or air...went air cause there is a first time for everything and I'm hoping it blows my mind.

Originally posted by BaggedV36 View Post
              Its gonna be sick bro, just absolutely make sure you do the install without cutting any corners. It will save you a lot of time and headache especially since you will do alot of winter driving. Im just saying this because an ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure... So have fun and lay that bitch out!!
              thanks, the major reason why I'm doing it myself is so I can do it right and take my time. the car is in my dad's garage and he is building a 55 chevy pickup (on bags actually) so I should have all the tools to do this right.

Comment

sick! post pics of both when done

Comment

This is going to be awesome!

grtz

Build =>http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=51076

Comment

Very interesting build, will be keeping an eye on this as I quite like e39's.

Comment

This is going to very cool!

Comment

Only progress so far is that I have mounted the tank...took a piece of metal made a template. E39 trunk wells are not very friendly and need some caressing lol.

You can see the holes drilled, the one in the middle is for the purge valve...I will silicone these up when everything is done.

Here is the tank mounted...

Comment

awesome man, Very interested in how the Air setup will behave in negative weather. My car is on air and its currently sitting in my garage for the winter....

Oddly enough, a few days ago it was about -20C and i went to go do a routine start up etc, and my Ridetech e2 controller was all messed up with the readings, it would air down but not up which was super weird. I also have a purge valve installed so when i went to go release air from the tank the valve seemed to stick open letting out all the air which was also really crazy....

anyways, fast forward a few days and a few degrees warmer, and everything is back to normal, operating 100% properly. So strange. I didn't think the weather would affect my system the way it did, but everything seems to work properly now, electronics and valves alike. The ridetech e2 is a height based system but i think my ecu is on its way out, so ive got an accuair elevel that im ready to drop in! Heard some good things about the Airlift management though!
                          aaa

Comment

Originally posted by Street|Terror View Post
                            awesome man, Very interested in how the Air setup will behave in negative weather. My car is on air and its currently sitting in my garage for the winter....

Oddly enough, a few days ago it was about -20C and i went to go do a routine start up etc, and my Ridetech e2 controller was all messed up with the readings, it would air down but not up which was super weird. I also have a purge valve installed so when i went to go release air from the tank the valve seemed to stick open letting out all the air which was also really crazy....

anyways, fast forward a few days and a few degrees warmer, and everything is back to normal, operating 100% properly. So strange. I didn't think the weather would affect my system the way it did, but everything seems to work properly now, electronics and valves alike. The ridetech e2 is a height based system but i think my ecu is on its way out, so ive got an accuair elevel that im ready to drop in! Heard some good things about the Airlift management though!
                            That was my first concern, from the reps I talked to and the research I did you need to get "airbrake antifreeze" truckers use it for their jake/air brakes...put that in your tank and run air up and down a couple times and you shouldn't have a problem.

Mock up for the Mdf board ill be making and mounting.

Comment

will be following this, what size tank is that? I like the spare tire mount

Comment

Working...
                              X