Monty's Tale - E36 Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monty's Tale - E36 Wagon

Meet Monty. A neglected E36 wagon who has lived a hard life. Until now as its time he got a make over.

My previous history has been flooded with BMW's. This is my 3rd E36 and have had two e34 540i's and 2 e30 coupes. One m50 powered.

I picked it up off Trademe (New Zealand's Ebay) towards the end of last year and my girlfriend and I drove it down from Auckalnd (other end of the country). It was a bit rougher than I thought but for the price, I couldn't really complain. First thing we noticed as that it handled like a whale due to the fact the front shocks were leaking which made the drive down ever so scary at times, so they where quickly replaced. The right rear had taken a knock from an elderly gentleman in a supermarket and had smashed the tail light. Went brand new as I couldnt find one in NZ and ten days later, one arrived from Scheidemann. Bar a small power steering leak, he fly through a WOF.

First thing was to give it really good clean to see exactly what I was dealing with. The paint has countless scratches and it looks like someone has tried to chew the passengers guard :unsure: not to mention golf ball size dents. Interior is rough in places, yet mint in others like the boot. Roof lining is starting to sag up front so that will be something to tackle in the near future.

Before

Cleaning crew hard at work

After

It looks like a highlighter has exploded on the right hand side so that will need redoing at some point as I couldn't get it all out.

I found half a beach under the rear seats

Under the front seats I found, $13.40, a key, the locknut, a Canadain 10c piece, a dog biscut and a cracker

Inside a much nicer place to be now.

After a solid afternoon cleaning, he comes up looking like this

The plan for him is to put to use the parts I had brought for my coupe

- Coilovers - already have them just need to be installed
    - Motorsport kit - just needs to be painted to match.
    - Wheels - I have some ACS Type 1 reps but are pretty rough
    - Engine Conversion (maybe) and Manual conversion - definitely.
    - Dye leather interior. Grey is nice but its a little dated.

Need to do's
    - Sort dents and scratches
    - Cooling system
    - Squeeky steering wheel
    - Clean underside

Progress will probabley be rather slow as I am currently saving for a house and a 5 week European Holiday in June but I'm keen on sticking to a plan this time instead of selling it after 6 months which I usually end up doing.
    Last edited by Gazinator; 01-10-2013, 04:24 PM.
    Originally posted by Aubrey107
    I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you don't buy Rotas, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you do, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

Not a bad start. I just picked one of these up too!

Comment

Damn you people and ability to get e36 wagons! ive wanted one for soo long! Looks great cant wait to see this project!

Comment

Originally posted by Gazinator View Post

I found half a beach under the rear seats

ha nice pick up man, lookin forward to the build!
        sub'd

Instagram: @half_lung

Comment

Originally posted by HTOWN///M View Post
          Damn you people and ability to get e36 wagons! ive wanted one for soo long! Looks great cant wait to see this project!
          Thanks man. Even here, they are a pretty tough find some people want insane money for them.
          I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you don't buy Rotas, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you do, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

Comment

Awesome! love wagons wish we could get them in the U.S... Looks like a great start!
            Hit me up for all your quality used bmw parts needs! http://properperformance.com/ IG: Lowlygent

Comment

Small update before I head off to Europe for a needed break. Replaced the front badge and installed armrest with retro tape holder

Got my apprentice helping out

Also put on the motorsport front and rear. Front needs a respray and need a new fog light bracket.p

Need to find a way to mount the trailer connector. Might just get some cable ties and attach it to the towbar.

I was also at pickapart and grabbed some black interior parts for when I do the headlining. I promise more action once I return in July including the good shit. A drop and some wheels.

Comment

Nice project car bud. Keep up the good work.

Comment

nice bro, any updates?
                  New Zealand thread: http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=22785

Comment

I'm proud of you for cleaning this and fixing it up. Keep doing so please.

Comment

I just picked one of these up too!

Comment

Nice beginning !! Waiting for your update
                        sigpic

|| - Lowered 320i E36 Sedan - ARKTISGRAU-Metallic - ||

Instagram :: district_ride

Comment

Update: Finally some lows! But terrible photos. The lens on the camera needs a clean but didn't realise until I load them onto the computer

Put the coilovers in last weekend and it turned into a bit of a nightmare. 5 of the 6 strut nuts had been stripped so that was fun. Ended up with my brother pulling the struts from below and using the rattle gun to effectively yanking them off. No photos of the installation sorry. Managed to pick up some M3 mirrors in the same color so put those on.

Also test fitted the ACS reps I'm selling for a laugh. After seeing them on I might keep them. Haven't got a wheel alignment done as I might go lower in the front but if the rears are anything to go by, a small roll and 215/40 tyres might work.

Yep the guard is rest on the tyre haha
                          Last edited by Gazinator; 09-07-2013, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Whats the green thing in the shed? Also bmw wagons are rad, I don't think we have them in aus

Comment

Originally posted by 1-low-poo-go View Post
                              Whats the green thing in the shed? Also bmw wagons are rad, I don't think we have them in aus
                              Thats my flatmates Fiat 127. Its about to be dropped and then its off for rust removal and paint.

Comment

Working...
                              X