That Bastard Compact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That Bastard Compact

This is a build thread for my Ti, not the rapper, that's a rapper right?

I'm really backpedaling a little as I'd never really started a thread surrounding my build, so here we go, I'll split it up into a few posts so folks can oooooh and aaaaaah perhaps?

Every so often an automaker will release a great concept that is ill received. In the 1995 BMW did that very same thing.

With a limited production run from 1995-1999 (in North America) that left a few folks running around town with a "truncated liftback version of the BMW 3 Series" as Wikipedia puts it.

A little over 12 years goes by and the car ended up in my wife's lap for next to nothing, honestly. She was thrilled to have her very first Bimmer (despite the age and lack of prestige) and she drove it for a little over a year until our first child entered the picture, she would begin driving a B5.5 Passat for a while.

This is when the little wonder became my primary transportation, however my wife wouldn't let go of it being "hers", so I just drove it around like most any other commuter vehicle.

A few years pass and our second child hit the scene, my wife was growing tired of the lack of cargo space the Passat had after two kids and strollers and the whole shebang so she worked on me for a while about getting her a new Minivan. I was all for the Minivan because we have some trips planned over the next few years and it would make a whole lot better vehicle for that then trying to squeeze everyone and everything into a sedan. But I made her promise to me that she'd give up on the thought of her "owning" the BMW anymore as I'd been driving it fulltime for the past several years, she agreed.

With that said she said that the Compact was mine to "do what I want to do with it".

And so the project begins.

Here the compact was just a few weeks before the transformation began.
    Fleet

'95 E36 Compact | m50tu | 3.45LSD | Autopilot V2, AirLift Performance Series (F), Air House 2 (R) - BUILD THREAD

'02 E39 540i Touring | Muffler Delete | Autopilot V2, AirLift Performance Series (F), RE5 (R) - BUILD THREAD

Please overlook the dirty engine bay, lol, no time to devote to that just yet. Planning a light shave and full tuck.

After a long and drawn out ordeal we're now running on Six Cylinders. I speak of ordeal and will get a little more in depth on that. The original plan was to go the V8 route (Ford 5.0 or GM 5.7) and I was on my way to pick up a cheap daily to drive while all of that was planned and executed. A "mechanic" at that used car lot/auto shop peaked my interest in just swapping in the m50 from a 325. His logic was "it's a straightforward swap and will get you a lot of bang for a relatively small buck" I thought about it for an evening and opted to work out his deal. He was going to do the whole thing parts and labor for $1500, my thoughts at the time were, okay, a little high for the engine but not bad considering I'd have to do nothing but pick it up and be "happy" right?

That process was around 6 weeks of begging and pleading that he just get the f#ck to work on it, negating the money saved for added frustration I decided that this was the first and last time I'd have someone swap an engine in any car for me. To date I've done 4 swaps in less than a week each in previous cars and I should just stick with that for the future.

There were some "issues" along the way but they'll be run down and resolved as I get the time and parts.

Fleet

'95 E36 Compact | m50tu | 3.45LSD | Autopilot V2, AirLift Performance Series (F), Air House 2 (R) - BUILD THREAD

'02 E39 540i Touring | Muffler Delete | Autopilot V2, AirLift Performance Series (F), RE5 (R) - BUILD THREAD

Comment

looks promising

W I L D M A N 'S R O D S H O P

R.I.P P.WALKER 2013/11/30

Comment

Ti's are always a sweet little platform. In for more for sure.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
        www.stanceworks.com

Originally posted by Oxer
        I'm pretty sure I will molest any exhaust systems you leave lying around

Comment

During the engine swap I also got to work on the ever common E36 window regulator issue (for a long while my windows were stuck shut because they weren't tracked right and the clips were broken).

I pulled the panels a half dozen times I'm certain and during that mess I pushed out the inner panels and broke a ton of things, during that phase I decided I'd try my hand at refinishing them. So I sourced around 6 yards of materials and figured I'd get to work on the front doors first, if they were simple enough I'd tackle the rear inserts and eventually the headliner.

This is where I've ended up so far:

Now that I'm confident that I'm an interior "Expert" I'll be working on the rear panels and then begrudgingly doing the headliner (it's sagging anyway so I have no real excuse NOT to).

All and all I dig it, it may be a little bit "VW" type of thing but I'm a plaid sort of a guy so I'm not going to let that phase me.

More to come...
          Fleet

Comment

Interesting Im in to see more!
            Hit me up for all your quality used bmw parts needs! http://properperformance.com/ IG: Lowlygent

Comment

Originally posted by indiejack View Post
              During the engine swap I also got to work on the ever common E36 window regulator issue (for a long while my windows were stuck shut because they weren't tracked right and the clips were broken).

I pulled the panels a half dozen times I'm certain and during that mess I pushed out the inner panels and broke a ton of things, during that phase I decided I'd try my hand at refinishing them. So I sourced around 6 yards of materials and figured I'd get to work on the front doors first, if they were simple enough I'd tackle the rear inserts and eventually the headliner.

This is where I've ended up so far:

Now that I'm confident that I'm an interior "Expert" I'll be working on the rear panels and then begrudgingly doing the headliner (it's sagging anyway so I have no real excuse NOT to).

All and all I dig it, it may be a little bit "VW" type of thing but I'm a plaid sort of a guy so I'm not going to let that phase me.

More to come...
              I love the plaid, but if i was you i would switch from the adhesive you're using to 3M super 77, cause that stuff you have sux when it get's hot in the car!. I used it in my accord wagon and they gave way only like a month in a half after. JS

Comment

Originally posted by 244Brick View Post
                I love the plaid, but if i was you i would switch from the adhesive you're using to 3M super 77, cause that stuff you have sux when it get's hot in the car!. I used it in my accord wagon and they gave way only like a month in a half after. JS

I'll look into that for sure, hopefully I don't run into any issues because of how I wrapped the panel bit and glued from inside but you never know. I'll see if I can snag some for sure for the headliner as I'll be buggered if I have to do that more than once.
                Fleet

Comment

OEM Wheel Roulette

If you'll recall from my first post I had some Monster Truck stance and 15x7 Style 27's (which are for sale btw, make offer, 16lb wheels). The tires were shot at this point and I bought a cheap set of coilovers so I picked up a set of Style 45's with just about new rubber on them for $200, it would have cost around that or more just to get new tires on the 27's so I figured, meh, not my style but bigger and new tires! I hadn't really wrenched down the coilovers just yet but here's what I was working with.

Those worked for a few months and I came across a slight trade + cash deal on a near Mint set of DS2's (a square set) with new'ish rubber on them, they seemed to suit the car much better. So I cranked down the coils a bit and in fact until the rear had no more adjustment, this is due to using an E36 coupe suspension on a compact (which is said to have an E30 rear end) I was limited by the shocks basically.

Also updated the headlights with Depo Glass Euro Ellipsoids, huge difference in look and lighting.

As far as the wheel game goes, I'm still seeking that "just right" set, and by just right I mean, I can justify them despite being a cheap bastard
                  Last edited by indiejack; 12-06-2012, 10:27 AM. Reason: Style 27 image wasn't showing up...
                  Fleet

Comment

Keep on!

I like it so far. Don't let anyone never again to touch your engines!

Comment

Will be following this closely! Really like the door inserts. I might have to have a look into doing that myself

Comment

My apologies everybody, been a heck of a few weeks with work and haven't really gotten around to posting anything.

I had planned on this for a while but planning the system, fabrication on the rear end and a few other things took some time and planning. I'm not done with the setup yet, in fact my components are bolted to a bit of wood in the hatch and I've yet to start building out an ideal enclosure for them, but you know it's all in stages.

Here is the result of "Damn, the car is just not low enough for my tastes".

Here we have a little side profile shot

Here's the result of 20mm spacers up front (to clear the bags) and 25mm in the rear

Ideally I would have some better photos by now, but my wife tried to rush in getting my camera out of my bag to snap a shot of the kids and dropped it, destroying my 50mm and a communication pin from the body to the lens, now I wait 6-8 weeks for it to come back from Canon

I'll be working a little here and there between now and spring on finishing up the interior, relocating (and upgrading) the battery, building a nice hatch setup for the tank and goodies, who knows, I'm now leaning towards painting in spring too.
                        Fleet

Comment

The wheels looks great on there... I really like this ti

Comment

very nice job mate.

Comment

Originally posted by 244Brick View Post
                              The wheels looks great on there... I really like this ti
                              Thanks, right now I'm rocking that OEM+ look but hope to upgrade early next year, my ideal rollers would be in this order:
                              1. Schmidt TH Lines
                              2. AC Schnitzer Type-II
                              3. BBS RS w/ Slant Lips

And then of course I'd keep the DS2's as my winter wheels, they do fit the car quite well.
                              Fleet

Comment

Working...
                              X