No announcement yet.

Hank the Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know these updates are all over the place, but back to the coilovers I was making. Brennan got me some scrap metal to make the top hats out of. These aren't necessary to run the different springs, but the design frees up almost 2" of shock travel, which is nice because Hank is just about bottomed out as is, and I'll need travel if I want ride quality or the ability to go lower. Got the idea from helping Mike and Chuck do a similar setup on Rusty.

The stock top hats have the shock bearing thing buried in a big hunk of vulcanized rubber. I wanted to re-use the bearings because finding new ones in the right diameters with the offset inner race was going to be tough. So I went through a lot of totally unnecessary steps to get them out...

first I cut the top hats in half, then I set the rubber on fire to burn it off of the bearing housing thing (this was before i realized that I could have just pressed the bearings out the entire time. let's not talk about it) Here you see the scrap metal I used as well.

At least my method worked... Then I traced out the top hat dimensions onto the new metal after hitting it with a flap wheel to remove the surface rust. I cut out basic circle shape I needed and transferred the mounting holes then headed to the drill press in the shed.

that left me with a base to work with and some bearings to weld in.

The measurements for the position of the bearing centers the caster and camber, so I had to be fairly precise with it. I used a square to draw a line between the two mounting holes that were closest to each other, then measured that distance and marked the center. I then drew a line from the third hole to the mark between the other two. Then I measured that distance and marked the center, giving me the perfect point for the center of the bearing. (pay attention in geometry, kids.)

Now I just need to get my hole saw back from Rodney and weld these bad boys up!
    Last edited by C-Hutch; 04-07-2012, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• oh man those are awesome, ive been wanting camber plates to free up some travel in the front to go lower but i really like what your doing, this interests me

Awesome work dude.

Build Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by E28stoff View Post
        oh man those are awesome, ive been wanting camber plates to free up some travel in the front to go lower but i really like what your doing, this interests me

Awesome work dude.
        Thanks man! I thought about just buying some, but I'm not hugely interested in camber adjustment honestly, and since my main reason for getting them was going to be the increase in travel, I'd rather make my own super slim ones. I looked at the ones from ground control and the cheap ebay ones and stuff and it looks like they have a drop spacer that pretty much evens them out with the stock top hats.

Comment

• You sir, are a bauce! Seems like burning the rubber was the much more entertaining approach anyway :P
          '13 Civic
          4x4 until not poor

Comment

• i admire your steez.

build thread?

Comment

• love builds like that , by the way how the saloon looks after u cleaned it ?

Comment

• Nice ass E28, looks like you got your ups an downs for the car, from crashes to fixes..

Amazing thread though

Comment

• Originally posted by l3xxd View Post
                  You sir, are a bauce! Seems like burning the rubber was the much more entertaining approach anyway :P
                  at the very least, my smoke signals got a few crazy looks from the neighbors.
                  Originally posted by bobbyjones View Post
                  i admire your steez.
                  I steez your admiration.
                  Originally posted by Night Colors View Post
                  love builds like that , by the way how the saloon looks after u cleaned it ?
                  Thanks, but I'm not sure what you mean about the cleaning part... I never clean this car lol
                  Originally posted by e12anthonee View Post
                  Nice ass E28, looks like you got your ups an downs for the car, from crashes to fixes..

Amazing thread though
                  Appreciated. Honestly I can only claim ups with this car. Since I drug it out of that guy's yard it has never let me down. *knocks on wood* I've really grown to love this thing, and enjoy working on it. I just can't wait to lay some paint down so he's got a face more than just a father can love

Comment

• wish i could have got to you sooner if i knew you were looking to do a custom mount. these thrust bearings i had for my UAS bag setup are like 9 bucks new.

Originally posted by Kielan
                    I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by NegativeCamber View Post
                      wish i could have got to you sooner if i knew you were looking to do a custom mount. these thrust bearings i had for my UAS bag setup are like 9 bucks new.

Oh well, no worries man. I kind of enjoy doing stuff like that anyways

Comment

• Uh....Bawse... Nuff Said.

Comment

• Lol i love what Tennessee memosas and some shop time creates!
                          Join the dark side:The Boog Build Thread

Comment

• i love your cars and what you do to them.

just not a fan of the radio unit. too newish for my taste

Instagram: dankasrz_s666

Comment

• Very nice work on the top hats man. Any idea what you are shooting for camber wise?

Comment

• We should have gotten a picture of you catching yourself on fire. A crucial step in e28 top hat creation. Plus, bitches love fire.

Comment

Working...
                                X