Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just picked up a set of 5x120.65 Work Equip wheels! Any info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just picked up a set of 5x120.65 Work Equip wheels! Any info?

How hard are they to find in 5x120.65? I know the 5x120 are pretty rare. I got them in 18x9.5 +37 and 18x8.5 +35. They are in pretty rough shape. I plan to restore them and put them on my Firebird or Typhoon. If they end up on the bird, I would like to get a wider lip for the 18x8.5 and make them 18x10.5 or so and run them on the rear.

Anyone have any info? There was another set of them in 17x7 and 17x8. I think they went for about $275 with crappy tires, but I decided to pass on them and get the 18's. Although I paid quite a bit more.

I'll post pictures in a week or two when they come in! I need to do start restoring some of the wheels I have so I can sell them to make room for more!

Here is a picture from the Auction. I am pretty sure all the lips have curb rash, they need some major polishing work and get all the tarnish off, then I think one of the lips is dented. Hopefully one of the 18x8.5 ones
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bullydawg; 12-25-2013, 03:12 AM.
    1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350-
    Heads Cam Intake Procharged T56 Moser 9* Tokico Suspension
    1990 Ford Mustang GT 5.0- Stock
    1993 GMC Typhoon Garnet Red #1519- Stock

I can't say how much/less rare the 5x120.65 is than the 5x120, but either are pretty hard to find. Equips are a lot harder to find in 18" and with that bolt pattern you've got yourself some rare wheels. I'm sure there's a ton of m3 guys that would love to get their hands on those.

On a side note did they come with all 4 center caps? Those are worth their weight in gold expect to pay a pretty penny if you need a couple. My friend had a set of equips and he constantly had people trying to buy the center caps from him and the prices he was being offered were outrageous.
    Last edited by Oh, Word?; 12-01-2013, 10:32 AM.

Comment

I'm missing 2 center caps, but they are probably easier to find out here in Japan. I'll probably buy some extras if that is the case.

On a side note, finding center caps for my Speedline Mistrals is damn near impossible!
      Last edited by Bullydawg; 12-01-2013, 04:51 PM.

Comment

You're in Japan? WIth a Firebird? If so, RAD.

But as said above, those are plenty rare. And also as said above, the center caps are a hot commodity.

If you relip the fronts to the rears, make sure you measure the back pad on all the wheels, judging by the lip size in the pictures, I have a feeling the faces up front are high disk (for big brakes) and the rear wheels have a smaller (probably medium) disk size. I'd recommend switching them (keeping the 8.5" faces up front, despite having to take them all apart), because if not you'll have a very odd offset difference.
        Originally posted by electricalbox
        12 inches of goodness!

Comment

I am in Japan, unfortunately I couldn't take it to Japan with me... I will be taking either my Ty or Bird to England with me though

Good to know about the faces. I figured I would fully disassemble them anyway. I guess I'll keep an eye out for some center caps. Do the 120.65 ones have a different cap size? I notice they look different from the caps on 17s...

Comment

Don't quote me but the 17s have plastic caps and I know for certain the 18s have aluminum caps, which is what makes them so damn rare. If you could find some around there buy all that you can, my friend was offered $450 for just his caps and more than one person was ready with cash. Your speedlines on the other hand, talk about finding a unicorn of a center cap.

Comment

Yeah, I won a set of 1 piece mistrals with curb rash for $160 bucks shipped with center caps and I was stoked, until I got an email saying he couldn't locate them and he must have sold them at his store. I was pretty bummed. I was going to take the center caps and trash the wheels... I'm still on the lookout for a set. Are the Mistral caps the same size on all wheels? Or do rim size change the size of the caps?

Will all 18" wheels have the same size center caps? I thought the BMW 5x120 have a different size hub bore.

Comment

I'm sure the hub bore is different as there's an incredible amount of different hub sizes car to car but the center cap will be the same for all 18" equips regardless of bolt pattern. I have no idea on the mistral though I've only ever seen one set of 17s and he was also missing a center cap.

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the info! I figure i'll refinish the Mistrals and try to sell them. I may just make some center caps for them.

Comment

Well, I got the Equips in... I expected the tires to be garbage, but they are all actually in good shape with good tread, so I will end up running them.

Here are some pictures. They are going to need a TON of work. I put the other 3 in storage and brought one home with me to see what I am dealing with. I will probably start a resto thread on them, as I will most likely have a TON of questions. As it stands right now, I think the centers are chrome... If so, that is going to suck. What does everyone else think?

They need a good scrubbing. I am going to go out and buy some supplies tomorrow. Any suggestions for the faces? I tried the rough side of a sponge and it helped a bit. I am really hoping the centers aren't chromed as it will make it a PITA to strip and polish them.

Comment

Centers are deffinetly chrome.

Comment

Since it is just the centers, I would assume with an electric palm sander, it shouldn't be too bad to strip the centers. What do you think? Looks like I might get the centers powder coated instead of polishing them now... lol. I'll strip them and see how much it will take to polish them.

Comment

Here they are after an hour of scrubbing the center... I doubt I will take them apart until after I get to England in about 6 months... They tires are in great shape and I would like to run them on my Typhoon while I restore 3 other sets... I will clean the lips up a bit and run them. So they probably wont come apart for at least a year or 2...

When I get around to restoring them, I will strip the chrome and either powder coat or polish the centers... I will run the 9.5's up front, widen the 8.5's to 10.5/11 and run them on the rear.

Comment

Typhoon for the win!!!
                            My build thread
                            http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=46573

INSTAGRAM @ARTWORKBYLOCALLOU

Comment

Thanks! I can't wait to go home and finally see/drive it. I bought it to take to England with me for a couple years... I just didn't have any interest taking the 5.0 there, and my bird is a huge project I don't feel like dealing with.

Comment

Working...
                              X