Correcting My First Build Mistake. Ivan's 93 Civic Hatch Build Log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correcting My First Build Mistake. Ivan's 93 Civic Hatch Build Log

Ill try making my intro as short as possible lol So my story begins a few years back when i picked up my first Honda project, a 94 Honda civic cx hatch model. It was such a great car during the time i had it, minimal mechanical issues, great engine, transmission and more importantly helped create a lot of friendships along the way.The car had no crazy power because it came with the stock D15 single cam engine and it didn't look like it was in the best shape aesthetically but I set out to create a quality build I could drive from day to day basis on the street and be able to take to autocross/road racing sessions if i desired. After a couple years of working on the car, I slowly started loosing focus of my goals and began to loose interest in the car. I ended up trading my beloved car for a 93 Mazda Miata. The Miata was also a great car while i had it i learned a lot of things in relation to vehicle mechanics and helped me understand FR and FF platforms thus appreciating what both styles of cars have to offer. But the reason my title says ill be correcting my first build mistake is because the Miata also helped me realize how much i loved my previous hatch and how i felt it was a mistake to get rid of it. There was just something about the car i really loved and i really felt like i needed to complete my initial goals. Fast forward to December of 2014, i get a opportunity to pick up another similar hatch. I stumbled across a Craigslist ad and the kid i was soon to meet was looking for a Miata! I felt it was a perfect chance and met up with him, a couple of days after i came home with my new to me 93 Honda civic DX.
    It will definitely be a slow build, and will try to keep you guys updated every time i acquire something new.
    Heres a picture of my first hatch:

Heres a pic of my old Miata:

And now the Pic of my current Hatch the first day i brought it home:
    I know its by no means pleasing to the eye yet but it will get there i promise lol
    I kept my Miata hardtop so i could sell it and save up some money to paint the car.
    So body repairs and a fresh paint job will come in the very near future!

First day i got it i did a deep clean of the interior and added a few left over parts i had of my old hatch on to this one. I got rid of all the knockoff parts the previous owner had and adapted some more tasteful parts to it

Added a perforated leather Nardi Steering wheel

Added a Nardi Shift knob to match my wheel

Added OEM Vti taillights (Car came with some smoked tails, i wasn't enjoying them at all lol)

Few days later I bought some Clear corners i find them a lot more subtle than the amber ones.

Then bought some new temporary shoes from a friend for a great deal!
    Enkei J speeds15x7.5 (rare size from what ive been told)
    i believe they are a +35 offset if im not mistaken
    wrapped in 195/45's tires. Not really the tire size i was looking for but it will do for now.

Car came with a B18B1 non vtec DOHC Engine. So it has some power under the hood compared to my first civic lol My favorite part about it is that its BARD so its a legal swap here in the state of California.
    Engine bay does need to be cleaned up though

So this is where ill end it for now. This car has much work to be done, ill slowly but surely get this car where i want it to be with time, patience, and money lol updates soon to come
    Last edited by EHthree.Ivan; 02-24-2015, 03:04 AM.

Your first hatch looks like it was really clean, the new one seems like a bit of a project, lol. Nice to see one of these getting cleaned up though. Will you be keeping the teal or going with a different color?

Comment

I like the battery tie down haha. Looks like a good start with the B18 already in there.

I/G: DeltaAlpha9

Comment

Originally posted by _e90 View Post
        Your first hatch looks like it was really clean, the new one seems like a bit of a project, lol. Nice to see one of these getting cleaned up though. Will you be keeping the teal or going with a different color?
        Thank you! and your right it will definitely be a project. I have to admit out of all the cars Ive owned this one is by far the most beat up one so i really have alot of cleaning and fixing to do lol and I'm really aiming for a color change but I'm just browsing through options at the moment no clue what color i want to go with for sure

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaAlpha9 View Post
          I like the battery tie down haha. Looks like a good start with the B18 already in there.
          its a takata battery hold down best battery hold downs out there right now lol jk i know it has to go lol x) and thank you man!

Comment

Is it wrong that I like this car more than your previous one? It reminds me a lot of the cars that you would see parked outside of a lot of tuning shops in Japan. Everything from the leather nardi wheel, shift knob and enkei wheels seems to fit in with your typical DD weekend racer EG hatch in Japan.

Can't wait to see what you're going to do with it :P

edit:

To keep it all good and BAR'D so the cops don't flip a shit when they see it, and to make more power on the cheap, have you considered a P8R head swap?
            Last edited by rice4life; 02-27-2015, 02:48 AM.

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
            @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

Love both previous cars and this one looks like it's turning out well too!

Any plans for more "permanent" wheels?

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

Looking forward to this. glad to see your first wheels aren't slip streams or some other bogus excuse to buy cheap wheels!

W I L D M A N 'S R O D S H O P

R.I.P P.WALKER 2013/11/30

Comment

I like the Enkei's they aren't even bad. 165/45's and some spacer would have it sitting just fine for a first set of wheels while you focus on other stuff.

Comment

Looks awesome! IMO, the wheels would look pretty sweet if they were all bronze. Don't know what you think?

Renato
                    Team TWM Performance
                    TWMPerformance.com | TWMShiftKnobs.com | GodSaveTheManuals.com
                    sigpic

Comment

Thank you all for all the positive feedback, its much appreciated! ill be updating my build log in the next couple days. The last three weeks for my car and i have been pretty good. I acquired some new parts and did a complete color transformation. I have been given the opportunity to slowly but surely make this car feel like my own now. Ill be hitting the site up pretty soon!

Comment

[QUOTE=rice4life;1424417]Is it wrong that I like this car more than your previous one? It reminds me a lot of the cars that you would see parked outside of a lot of tuning shops in Japan. Everything from the leather nardi wheel, shift knob and enkei wheels seems to fit in with your typical DD weekend racer EG hatch in Japan.

Couldn't have been said any better. I could definitely picture this car being parked outside a tuning shop in Japan. Really simple, but tasteful mods. Looking forward to seeing her progress! Subbed.
                        My 2011 Toyota Vitz build thread.
                        http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=56411

Comment

So i was trying to get some really good pics of my car taken to share with everyone a few days back but Ive been kept busy with some family matters. Although i managed to take some quick but not so great pics of my car when i attended a SCCA auto cross race event this past Sunday.

But before i continue i wanted to list certain new things Ive acquired or done to the car. (More pics coming soon to show all pieces)
                          - Rays Engineering Lug nuts
                          - New oem front bumper (reason for buying one is that my car came with ebay fog lights and personally i never was interested in using them)
                          - OEM SiR front lip
                          - Blackworks rear strut bar
                          - OEM Si gauge cluster (old cluster did not have a RPM tach)
                          - GoForm 195/50R15 tires all around ( off brand tires but they were brand new, and my friend gave them to me for FREE!! so i couldnt say no lol but i plan to upgrade to a stickier 205/50 eventually)
                          -untinted my windows
                          - DME (NRG) full Coilover suspension (i used to be lowered on Ebay coilover sleeves the previous owner installed, and it felt pretty bad lol)

And here are the pics of the car now

More pics to come i just have to find the time lol
                          Last edited by EHthree.Ivan; 05-05-2015, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Looks like a good start with the B18 already in there.

Comment

Love the new color dude!
                              SAAB 900 T16s

Comment

Working...
                              X