Doing a 180... my 66 Chevy C10 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing a 180... my 66 Chevy C10 build

Some of you might have seen my 72 2002 lurking around from time to time. Rust free, m10, classic, clean and just super legit. Decided it was time for it to find a new home so I sold it and after years of talking about getting a 60's C10 I made the jump. I bought this one off my Uncle and its in pretty sad shape but I'll be getting it back on the road soon enough.

From the '02 to this is pretty much a complete 180 lol. Rusty, 283 V8, beat to hell, missing random stuff... and rusty.... but I'm pumped for the build as this plans to be a fun one not just making a nice car.

So today I picked it up... shifter broke off when someone was trying to get it into gear so my dad went under the hood got it in gear and we limped it around to the trailer. Since the tires and wheels are mismatched and the tires were pretty sketchy, we decided trailering it was the best option. Before anything happens with it I have to get it road worthy first.

Today was a clean of cleaning it up a bit and seeing what I had. Also ordered parts today for a complete tune up, rebuilding the entire parking brake, and a new shift lever.

When we got it up to my parents and removed the rear bumper, swept the trash out of the bed and I took a scotch pad to the entire truck due to some over spray when the decided to touch up the white in the laziest way ever.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Then the sad... sad... interior

And surprisingly under the trash was a pretty solid wood bed

Next on the list is refinishing some original wheels for the truck I already had and throwing some tires on. For the time being we will be heating up the springs to lower it down some and probably bag it down the road but that will be awhile.
    My '66 C10 Build
    My BMW 2002 Build

Thats a nice project, hope to see good things coming

Comment

What a sick platform. Do it justice!
      Instagram : @SHMVNY_GVNG

Comment

Thanks guys!

So this weekend I redid some wheels to put on the c10.

What I started with:

ended up with this. On the wheels they were wire wheeled, sanded and painted satin black and the centers were cleaned up with a scotch pad and then cleared over with semi-gloss

My '66 C10 Build
        My BMW 2002 Build

Comment

Today the complete parking brake parts showed up from LMC since mine wasn't working and missing pieces. Also ordered a new shift lever as mine was broken when I picked it up.

Before getting any parts installed we checked out the brakes which were shot and the rear passenger was actually just an empty drum. So tonight I ordered:shoes, wheel cyls, master cyl, brake hardware and an outer tie rod. Still hunting drums as my were in terrible shape but hoping to save a little money getting some used ones that haven't been so abused since things are adding up budget wise lol.

Also had this show up from ebay today. Just slowly rounding stuff up when I find a decent price.
          My '66 C10 Build
          My BMW 2002 Build

Comment

My dad just picked up a 67 c20 as a work truck. Its so clean. Good luck on the build!

Comment

very funny we both jumped into these after the 02s. I'm actually getting rear discs and could send you my drums, they seem decent. Shipping might kill it though. Excited to see this take shape.

Comment

Originally posted by Heist View Post
                very funny we both jumped into these after the 02s. I'm actually getting rear discs and could send you my drums, they seem decent. Shipping might kill it though. Excited to see this take shape.
                I was going to see about picking them up off you but then noticed you are five lug where as I am 6.
                Last edited by 99sil-teg; 09-17-2014, 10:47 PM.
                My '66 C10 Build
                My BMW 2002 Build

Comment

aw damn. Wish it would have worked. Let me know if you need anything else! I'm replacing a lot in the next few weeks.

Comment

Parts have started showing up.

Every part of the parking brake, new wheel cylinders and I have even more on the way. Hope to have it on the road soon.

My '66 C10 Build
                    My BMW 2002 Build

Comment

Been stocking up on more parts as stuff rolls in. New choke cable, new drums, new shoes, new brake res came today. Also had a new suicide knob come in.

Also my project this week has been complete redoing my grill. Sanded down, repainted and also hand painted the Chevrolet. Its still a bit beat up but much better looking.

My '66 C10 Build
                      My BMW 2002 Build

Comment

Any progress on this? My moms got a 66 in the most horrible brown/red/maroon/purple color I've ever seen done by a couple previous owners ago. Orange would have been suhweet.

Comment

Update????? Good to see these old trucks getting saved from the clapper! I'd like to pick one of these up for one of my next projects.
                          -Christian.

'91 318iS AW2/blk slow garage queen/build...
                          '02 ///M3 carbonschwartz 6MT daily beast
                          '37 Chevy pickup-garagequeen...

Comment

Sorry for the lack of updates. Things have been nuts lately.

Front brakes are all wrapped up and waiting on a couple last pieces for the rears. Also heated up the springs to lower it some even though its not as low as I want it will get me by. Also removed the old stock mirror and installed a new mirror. More to come but it will be a slow one since winter has hit.

My '66 C10 Build
                            My BMW 2002 Build

Comment

So, how is this going?

Build thread?

Comment

Working...
                              X