Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'M SORRY, GRANDMA: 1986 Cressida moneypit (I mean, project...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Darkyoshi154 View Post
    So. I just read all of this thread. Ho-lee-sh*t.

I commend you for your patience with this project, and ability to adapt. If you decide to part ways with the car, it's understandable, but I almost feel that it should end with you.
    As someone who is graduating in 3 short months, and has project cars, I know the struggle. And I am slowly realizing that graduating most likely will not mean freedom and time for cars haha.
    I gave you a follow on IG and hope to see some more progress in whatever car you decide to pick up next(or this one!).
    Thanks! I really don't want to let it go, but we'll see what happens over time. There are ways to budget and make time for the hobby as a fresh grad, but it isn't easy to prioritize it as much as I have in the past (which is well documented by this thread).

Anyone got suggestions for a rear end on this? Found out the CV axles are NLA, as are the axle stubs. I've heard of people converting to a Ford IRS 8.8" rear with a modified subframe and components, or a Nissan S-chassis subframe and components. I've also heard how the entire IS200 Altezza differential can be swapped in place of the X7 diff, and apparently its internal components swap over into the X7 pumpkin as well.
    Last edited by kibur; 03-19-2018, 02:27 PM.
    1986 BMW 528e - Delphin Grey - 5spd
    1986 Toyota Cressida - Dark Blue Metallic - 1JZ VVTI swap, AR5 transmission
    1990 Honda Civic Wagon - Rio Red - Daily Driver
    Instagram: @kibur

Comment

• I just read your thread as well. Man this is tough, I hope you get it all worked out.

I know nothing about these cars but if you need some space to work on this, I could clear out one of my bays for you to do some work. Only issue is I'm out in central Pa near Harrisburg.
      1976 VW Beetle
      Eine Gruppe für Menschen, die am Heizkörper spotten

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSavoy View Post
        I just read your thread as well. Man this is tough, I hope you get it all worked out.

I know nothing about these cars but if you need some space to work on this, I could clear out one of my bays for you to do some work. Only issue is I'm out in central Pa near Harrisburg.
        No worries! Things are going pretty solid at the moment. My friend Jim lent me storage for the winter, and pressed in the new stub axle for me. I should be driving this again shortly, and I'm very excited! Also, I'm not sure if you go to Carlisle events, but I might try to bring this out during the summer.

Comment

• Wow what a roller coaster! Hang in there though man, it'll feel that much sweeter once you get her all sorted out!

"Emmaline" B8.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro 6MT Build Thread
          "Ophelia" MK7.5 Volkswagen GTI SE Performance 6MT Build Thread

MKIV Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0 5MT Coming Soon to a Forum Near You

RIP "Effy" E60 BMW 530xi 6MT [N52] Build Thread
          SOLD"Adéline"B5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT Build Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by kibur View Post
            No worries! Things are going pretty solid at the moment. My friend Jim lent me storage for the winter, and pressed in the new stub axle for me. I should be driving this again shortly, and I'm very excited! Also, I'm not sure if you go to Carlisle events, but I might try to bring this out during the summer.
            Glad you were able to store and get this running! I haven't been to the Carlisle events before. If you do come out this way don't hesitate to shoot me a PM, I'd be down.
            1976 VW Beetle
            Eine Gruppe für Menschen, die am Heizkörper spotten

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSavoy View Post
              Glad you were able to store and get this running! I haven't been to the Carlisle events before. If you do come out this way don't hesitate to shoot me a PM, I'd be down.
              It's looking a little bit unlikely now. Would have been fun, but I've decided against running any events in this car for the foreseeable future.

Comment

• Quick update.

Had a friend of mine press in the new stub axle, and some buddies came down from CT for a weekend to hang out. We got to drive the car around, things felt mostly good. Enjoyed a few more weeks of fun, but of course, some new (but not unforeseen) problems have arisen.

Air/fuel ratio gauge is showing this. I think the sensor went bad, but it was running slightly lean prior to this. I think I should probably get it tuned, but it's also on stock ECU. I hear Greddy's eManage works well as a piggyback type solution? I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to turbos or tuning

Also, I believe I am running into issues stemming from the driveshaft adapter. Here is the product in question.

I've had vibrations at highway cruising speed (though around town driving felt fine) ever since I got a driveshaft made to work with this adapter. I spoke to someone who had an AR5 (with adapter) in their X7, and after they experienced issues similar to mine, they went back to r154 with much better results. I've also recently had issues where the adapter is hitting the shifter housing after tightening the housing down a bit, and it sounds absolutely horrible. does anyone else run this transmission, and if so, do you use the flange adapter? Not trying to blame the part, but some more feedback would be appreciated.

I plan to remove the driveshaft and give the driveline a thorough go-over, because I am in no position to have a new driveshaft made, and barely have the time/money to allocate for fixing this. First thing I plan to do is check the AR5 output flange, and make sure the driveshaft adapter is nice and snug. Last time I was in there, the hardware into the adapter was loose. I'm not sure if it backed out, or if the shop who installed the driveshaft made a rather egregious error, but I still want to check with everything out. I have a 4.11 welded rear, and I have heard from others that a switch to higher gearing helps. I also want to check the differential to see if there was damage from the driveshaft explosion that could still be causing issues, but luckily I have a back up at home, and another friend parting an X7 at the moment, so it's not a huge deal if it ends up being an issue.
                Last edited by kibur; 05-10-2018, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X