Rolling Roundie Rejuvenation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolling Roundie Rejuvenation

So a few months ago, my father came to me with a mission. My mission was to find him a fun investment car that didnt need a ton of work. Having restored a few airplanes with my dad we decided that we wanted to avoid major work that would keep it off the road for a while, we adopted the mantra of "we arent taking the wings off" which pretty much grounds a plane for a year or two. So after a few weeks of searching I came across a decent little 1973 BMW 2002. I have a 74 but due to budget issues, the purchase and renovation of a home, the purchase of a pretty clean 97 m3, and working constantly it has been pushed to the back burner, so I figured a running driving 2002 would be fun to have around. We went and checked it out, and while it was in good shape it did need a little love and was not worth the asking price. We low balled the guy honestly hoping he wouldnt accept.....he did, quickly might I add. And then the slight panic set in for my dad, he was tight on time and space, so I volunteered my time and part of my basement to get it running. I decided since I am doing this I should keep a journal of the rejuvenation. I am copying and pasting this from another forum, we have had the car a few months now. the first few posts might read a little off but we will get caught up.

Here it is at the previous owners house.

Thankfully the cat was not included.

Interior is in decent shape, the dash isnt so hot but we will address that eventually.

I drove it about 25 miles back to the house. It runs and drives great, but has some issues. The speedo just bounces at 30mph, the throttle pedal is way too stiff(I think its the wrong return spring), shifter bushings, and it heats up a little. All stuff that we are going to take care of over the next few weeks. Once I got it home I had to move my M3 to get the 02 in the basement, it seemed like a good opportunity for a few quick pics.

When I was jacking the car up to put it on the dollies I noticed a chunk of something stuck in the drivers front wheel. So I already took care of my first repair...... weave removal.

I think my basement is officially full.

At this point I got to really inspect the car, and it did have a few little issues but all and all I think we came out ok on this one.

I started with removing the a/c compressor, we werent sure if it even works and since it wasnt hooked up there was really no reason to leave it in the car. It was going well and then I ran into these two bolts, I **** these two bolts.

I couldn't bust them loose with anything I had, so I had to make an emergency run to Harbor Freight. This is actually surprisingly nice.

Finally, its free. Its going to get boxed up and stored until we figure out what to do with it.

After that I decided to go ahead and work on flushing the radiator. Judging by the way the hose is bent I dont think this is right radiator for the car.

Upon inspecting a radiator I had sitting around, the radiator in the car was wrong so I pulled it out. Im going to have this one tested and I hope its good because Im not going to put an incorrect radiator back in.

I went ahead and flushed the system while it was all apart, from the looks of the "coolant" it needed to be changed.

I made a huge mess.

I cleaned and oiled the airfilter.

I also cleaned up some of the grime in the engine bay, far from perfect but much better.

Then I tried to figure out why the center kidney grill was up side down, looks like someone broke the stud on the top mount. I think I can cut this out and epoxy a bolt back in there but Im going to weight my options, pre 74 grilles are tough to find.

While I was removing the center grille I noticed that the head light grilles were looking a little rough. Pre-74 grilles are metal with black slats covering the aluminum on 2002's, but the slats are not on the 1600's. I like the look of the polished grills so I decided to remove them, after doing some research and finding that they are still available. Missing, miss colored, and generally beat up slats.

And slats removed and stripper applied to remove the glue.

While removing the grilles I noticed that the p.o. had about 6 different screws holding them in, so I picked up some stainless screws and proper tinnerman clips from work. Thats it until tonight, I hope to finish stripping the glue and put a little polish on the grilles.

I got the adhesive stripped off the the grilles and did a quick polish.

Picked up some stainless screws and tinnerman nuts from work, now all the hardware will match.

Then reinstalled the grilles.

Last night I cut out the broken stud, drilled out a hole, and epoxied a 3/16" piece of aluminum rod. Before I epoxied it in I threaded it to match the other m5x.08 thread. I dont know why it looks crooked but its just the picture.

Tonight I decided to polish and clean up the center grille, as you can see it was kinda cruddy.

After a few coats of Nuvite polish and some compound and polish on the center slats. Far from perfect but looking much better.

Yanked the battery and noticed the tray was looking a little rough. So I scuffed it up, taped everything up and shot some paint on it.

Missing hood latch roller.

Worn out roller.

New rollers on both sides.

Pulled the old dented door trim off.

The new one looks much better.

Installed on the car.

I need to still do some adjustments on the hood but its closing much better.

Picked up the rust converter from my folks and got some oil and engine cleaner for later this week. Theres not a lot of rust on the car but I noticed a few spots of light surface rust while I was laying under the car, so I decided to throw a little rust converter on it.

I hope this is the last of the of the boring updates, all of this is showing up tomorrow.

Last night a bunch of parts showed up, I hope I can figure out where all of this goes.

Removed the water pump.

This is why you dont put that "stop leak" crap in. It was nasty.

Prepped the mounting surface for the pump, dont worry the engine is going to get detailed soon and I will get all that crud off.

Did a quick mock up with the radiator and the new hoses, I think I have it right but Im looking for a hose diagram to be sure.

The I went ahead and drained the oil. One of my customers taught me this little trick using the bags we have at work. They are pretty high quality bags so they will actually catch the oil if you put it around the filter as your are removing it. It saved me from making a pretty big mess, I couldnt get the drain pan under the filter because of the jack stand placement.

While the oil was drained I popped the valve cover off and threw on a new gasket, everything looked pretty clean under there.

And since I had it laying around I used a valve cover that I polished a while back, Ill polish it up a little more when I do the engine detail.

Last edited by mpower5266; 07-24-2015, 02:47 PM.

Water pump, fan, belt, cap, rotor, plugs, etc etc re-installed. Coolant hoses mocked up and oil topped off. If all goes well tonight I should be able to get it on is wheels and started, hopefully a test drive by friday or saturday.

And the score of the day yesterday, I couldnt find this hose anywhere online. But some how I found one at autozone.

I got the car pulled out and took it on a test drive, it ran alright but seemed to be running hot. I let it cool down and degreased the engine and washed it.

I drove it again and noticed that it wasnt heating up when it should have been, like sitting at a red light. It was more so just kinda randomly heating up and cooling down. I decided to swap out the cluster with one I restored for my other 02.

Not only did it fix the temp indicator, but also my speedometer works now. The speedo cable wasnt hooked up right, I have been noticing a lot of stuff like that. I will eventually go back to an all black cluster as this one is post '74 but for now it works.

After that I decided to address the seats. The drivers side seat didnt like to slide back and forth and the passenger side was loose. So out they go. Three bolts holding in the drivers seat and only one on the pass side. I have noticed a lot stuff like that, it seems the PO didnt know how to fix things so he would just give up and slap it together.

While they are out I fixed the seat back that was pulling away and did some cleaning.

I also figure out why the drivers seat didnt want to move, the left seat rail is on backwards.

I also found out why the passenger seat only had one bolt in it, the rails were on the wrong sides of the seat and they were backwards.

Corrected. Actually I just noticed that I put the right one on upside down, oh well they work I can fix it later. (looking at this thread now I see they still arent correct I need to fix that.

All cleaned up and installed. I need to get a nardi wheel and a nicer shift knob.

And I ended the afternoon by installing a sticker I have had laying around.

I got sick of waiting for 2002ad to ship my grill part so I snagged some scrap steel from work and busted out my trusty dewalt angle grinder. It took about 45 minutes but with a cut off wheel, grinding wheel, a file, bench vise and a hammer I was able to put something together.

Still needs some trimming and grinding but its getting there.

All cleaned up and mounted, its starting to come together.

Got it up on jack stands and pulled off the wheels.

I just thought this was a cool looking pic.

Off to the tire shop tomorrow for some 185 "meat."

New meat.

Without hubcaps before the test drive.

It rode great, so I popped the caps back on. It really just needs a detail now and then we can work on some little trim stuff.

I pulled out the buffer and hit the car with some compound.

havent posted much lately but I have been working on the car. I picked up a new old stock amco walnut shift knob.

I also finished the exterior detail but I havent taken any pics due to it still having an over heating issue. I have pretty much changed everything in the cooling system but its still running hot, at least at the gauge. I even changed the temp sensor yesterday with no change. The gauge was "bouncing" and I seem to have helped that by cleaning up the battery terminals and the negative/engine block ground and the alternator ground. The gauge is good for the most part but I still need to address the ground for the cluster. This is where my gauge was sitting tonight after a short drive in 85 degree weather.

Top hose from the radiator to the head.

Head to the t-stat.

T-stat itself.

And the t-stat to the bottom of the radiator.

It seems to me that its running within normal ranges, maybe even on the low end but the gauge does not reflect that. I hsve a 71c t stat on the way to replace the 80c degree one currently in the car but I will just have to wait and see if that changes anything.

Got a few things done this weekend. I noticed a miss and low idle so I decided to do a quick carb clean up.

That helped the idle and its running a lot better but I decided to go ahead and order a repair kit. I also swapped the front bumper with one I had laying around, the old rusty one.

While the bumper was off I cleaned up the bumper brackets.

In the sand blaster.

All cleaned up.

Primed and painted.

While the paint was drying I buffed and compounded the front. It was much easier with out the bumper in the way.

All finished up.

Also while working on the carb I accidentally fixed the temp gauge. The battery ground strap was arcing out on the alternator lead, as soon as I zip tied that up out of way the temp gauge worked perfectly.

I haven't done much to the car as of late. It still wasn't idling to my liking so I decided to yank the carb and do a full rebuild. Parts are on the way. I did however get bored tonight and I decided to clean up the gauge cluster. Since I fixed the wonky water temp issue I'll be putting the original cluster back in.

It certainly needed a clean up. It was pretty dusty inside.

Proof that every inch of these cars can and will rust. This ring holds the glass in the cluster. It will be sanded and painted this weekend.

I also cleaned and spray painted the inside of the housing back to a gloss white. Over the years they yellow. This combined with the new bulbs will really help properly light the gauges.

That's all for tonight but I'm sure I will have more updates this weekend.

And that is where I currently stand with the car. I think I might be on to something with this whole "let not take the wings off" deal. I seemed to have moved much faster on this car since I am able to drive it.
    Last edited by mpower5266; 07-24-2015, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Very nice work!

Comment

Dude, this is great. So nice to see things being done the proper way. Really like the colour way too!

Comment

So you're telling me your 73 2002 has a back-lit cluster, and my 87 e24 doesn't? WTF BMW.

Seriously though, great work Nick!
          Ol Dirty Bastard - RIP

Photo by Alex Dooley
          2016 Ducati Scrambler, 2015 Subaru Impreza

Comment

Great start, love the attention to detail.

Comment

Great 02 build. Sub'd
              http://www.neuemotorsports.com/

Comment

I finished up the cluster over the last few days.

I sanded and painted the rings that hold the glass in and the trim rings on the outside of the cluster. The glass rings were sprayed black on the side that faced out.

Untitled by mpower5266, on Flickr

White on the inside of the cluster to reflect light better, painting and taping these were pretty much all I accomplished saturday and sunday. I sucks waiting on paint to dry so you can tape it up and paint it again.

Once I finished all the painting, I installed the glass and hold down rings.

Made sure all the gauges were nice and clean. I dusted them with my air compressor and turned the pressure down with an inline regulator.

All the gauges mounted and my add on grounds installed. I probably dont need them anymore since I fixed the cluster ground issue by zip tying the battery ground out of the way, but it was already run so why not.

New bulbs installed.

All back together.

And what I am sure you really want to see, all lit up. Sorry for the phone pics, the car is stored in our hanger about 15 minutes from the house. I wanted to see them lit up so I bolted out of door at 9:30 last night to go hook them up and forgot my camera.

Now hopefully I can get the carb back together and tuned before Caffeine and Octane, and another local euro show on sunday.

Comment

Nice thread man! I wish I would've stayed stock with my build. It looks like a lotta fun
                  Last edited by Absorbantnut; 07-31-2015, 12:27 PM.

Check out my m20 turbo'd 2002 build thread

Comment

Originally posted by Absorbantnut View Post
                    Nice thread man! I wish I would've stayed stock with my build. It looks like a lotta fun

I checked out your thread a little yesterday, I need to go back and finish looking at it but you have a sweet little car.

Comment

Originally posted by mpower5266 View Post
                      I checked out your thread a little yesterday, I need to go back and finish looking at it but you have a sweet little car.
                      Thanks. It gets the job done

Check out my m20 turbo'd 2002 build thread

Comment

Damn this thing is sweet! Glad to see its getting taken care of! Great work
                        Insta: @pantiesmores

Build: http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...hlight=versace

Comment

I got sick of screwing around with the carb, it kept it off the road for a few weeks, so I bought a new 32/36 webber. Now its running like a top. I was also little bored the other night and decided to re-black the grilles.

Then I took it on a cruise.

Comment

This 02 is mint, makes me want one someday. Keep up the great work man!
                            sigpic

Follow me on Instagram! @cskzero

Comment

I was cleaning up around the basement last night and found these.

Thats everything to make an a/c center console, I thought I was missing these. Well that has changed some of my plans, now my mission is to get A/C in this thing so I can enjoy it all summer.

Comment

Working...
                              X