Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bbs help

NOOB QUESTION !

i have a set of bbs rs faces that i want to polish, i have new lips bolts and caps so i only need to polish the faces.

<<< the wheels

could someone tell me what materials and processes i need to do to hand polish my mesh faces windows and all, keep in mind i'm on a budget and have very limited tools ?

-Thanks, Shamir

you won't really need a whole lot of tools. I hope you have a lot of time on your hands though.

If it has to do with wheels, tires or brakes it goes here. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by two240s View Post
      you won't really need a whole lot of tools. I hope you have a lot of time on your hands though.

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=806
      i'm 18 with no job and just got out for the summer,

i have nothing but time

are the same material used to polish lip used to polish the faces (centers) ?
      Last edited by *96tegls*; 05-04-2010, 05:10 PM.

Comment

yep, same stuff. if you're wanting to get them mirror polished it'd really help to have an air powered die grinder (dremel) with some buffing wheels

Comment

Originally posted by two240s View Post
          yep, same stuff. if you're wanting to get them mirror polished it'd really help to have an air powered die grinder (dremel) with some buffing wheels
          how much does that cost ?

also i might save the original caps and bolts, do i use the same methods to polish the caps ?
          and what should i soak the bolts in ?
          Last edited by *96tegls*; 05-04-2010, 06:41 PM.

Comment

what is the bolt pattern on the faces and size??

i have some faces that are semi polished they need a bit more work but the hard part is done. just a heads up polishing these wheels will piss you off and make you want to throw the damn wheels in the trash.

i would be willing to trade you if you can add cash..
            Last edited by vdubwardo; 05-04-2010, 06:50 PM.

Comment

^ they are 4x100 with 34 holes.

i cant see the pic

- i have nothing but time and i dont really car how long it will take, like i said i'm 18 and have nothing but time.

does a die grinder cut the time in half ?
              - also what steps have you done to your wheels

Comment

i wouldnt use power tools unless you are really steady and even with your hands. i would get them either soda blasted, or strip the paint with chemical stripper if you are on a budget. then start with some sand paper, move your way up, and then get some steel wool in course-medium-fine-super fine-0000 which is the finest. this will take a ton of time as all of the spokes on these wheels require a ton of time and patience.

this is a huge undertaking, and I know as i too just finished a set. good luck
                sigpic
                1990 Nissan fairlady Z32 - long term build
                1982 euro porsche 930 turbo

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19185

Comment

alot of freaking sanding by hand, i lost my finger prints doing so lol.. i lost interest in finishing them tho so i have them up for sale.

best way would be strip the paint off with some aircraft stripper (very messy) than work your way up with the sand paper thats all there really is too it, then you just finish it with some mothers polish

-heres a nother pic

Comment

Originally posted by 1badg35 View Post
                    i wouldnt use power tools unless you are really steady and even with your hands. i would get them either soda blasted, or strip the paint with chemical stripper if you are on a budget. then start with some sand paper, move your way up, and then get some steel wool in course-medium-fine-super fine-0000 which is the finest. this will take a ton of time as all of the spokes on these wheels require a ton of time and patience.

this is a huge undertaking, and I know as i too just finished a set. good luck
                    thanks, i have nothing but time.

after the steel wool do i just use the mothers and i'm done ?

soak my bolts in Dr.pepper , then buff them ?

Originally posted by vdubwardo View Post
                    what is the bolt pattern on the faces and size??

i have some faces that are semi polished they need a bit more work but the hard part is done. just a heads up polishing these wheels will piss you off and make you want to throw the damn wheels in the trash.

i would be willing to trade you if you can add cash..

how much ?
                    and are they 16' 34 hole bbs rs

Comment

i have 17''

Comment

^ damn, i got my hopes up

did you sand them by hand ?

do you mind listing the step you did to polish your and what step you stopped on ?
                        Last edited by *96tegls*; 05-04-2010, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vdubwardo View Post
                          i have 17''
                          Most likely uses the same centers unless his are some weird ones that uses 15" centers or yours are other random ones like 178s that have smaller centers.

PS: You will have fucked off offsets if you swap faces. You'll spend some time finding out the "new" offsets and then you might find out they won't work anymore. Just FYI; not all faces are built with the same backpad.
                          Originally posted by Jesus Christ
                          if "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" doesnt include being able to buy a huge veiny motherfucker then the declaration of independence isnt worth the hemp it was written on.
                          Originally posted by Jedidiah
                          he speaks the truth.. he doesn't even have the -- -- eyes.

Comment

let me get this straight.

All i need to do is buy paint stripper , then start with the lowest Grit sand to the highest, does that mean hardest to soft and finish with mother polish ?

Comment

yea, no power tools until you're polishing with polishing compound (white and red)

like this stuff

media blast or aircraft stripper to get the original finish off first

lower # sandpaper (320) up to highest (1500/2000) then very fine steel wool (0000), then polishing compound with buffing wheel. you can skip the polishing compounds but it won't be mirror finish. then the final step is mothers polish

it's seriously a lot more work than you think it's going to to be. I know you said you've got time...but polishing the faces is a huge job if you've never polished anything before.by the time you're done with the faces you'll never want to polish anything ever again

Comment

Working...
                              X