No announcement yet.

1991 Mazda RX7 - From junk, to showcar in $3,000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've never been interested in an LS swap, but if that shit literally has T-1000-level healing properties, I'm in.

-1993 535i/5 NA-T

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
      I admire your positivity, I would be terrorized by the self-healing knock LOL like, what if it comes back kicking the door, worse than before and screaming "here I am knocking like a hurricane"?

the rest of the car is still super cool tho
      +1 I'd be more worried now than I was before. Something still isn't right, but I hope it truly is self healing and irons itself out. The retro vibe is awesome.
      2 328i e36's
      Saabaru linear 2.5na
      Various projects.
      sigpic
      Intro;
      http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...19#post1598619

Comment

• Originally posted by CSBolger View Post
        I've never been interested in an LS swap, but if that shit literally has T-1000-level healing properties, I'm in.
        I believe it's an lt. Out of the c4s
        2 328i e36's
        Saabaru linear 2.5na
        Various projects.
        sigpic
        Intro;

Comment

• Twilight photos are great!

Comment

• Originally posted by 06RawRsx View Post
            Awesome video! It sounds healthy. That's so weird but I'm glad everything is all good!
            Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
            I admire your positivity, I would be terrorized by the self-healing knock LOL like, what if it comes back kicking the door, worse than before and screaming "here I am knocking like a hurricane"?

the rest of the car is still super cool tho
            Originally posted by CSBolger View Post
            I've never been interested in an LS swap, but if that shit literally has T-1000-level healing properties, I'm in.
            Originally posted by Quillhill36 View Post
            +1 I'd be more worried now than I was before. Something still isn't right, but I hope it truly is self healing and irons itself out. The retro vibe is awesome.
            Originally posted by Wagonbae View Post
            Twilight photos are great!
            Thanks dudes. I know what you're thinking, and I'm thinking it too. But I have a month or two left before drive-able weather is over. This is the first year I've had the car on the road, and I just want to enjoy it. Regardless of whether it blows up now or later, I will probably be doing some kind of refresh this winter. So till then, if it isn't literally blowing metal chunks out the exhaust, I'll keep driving it. I'm not going to cut my first year down cause of some intermittent noise.

Just hang in there for the rest of the year.

Don't blow up.

PLZ BBYGRL

Comment

• Went on a cruise with a friend and stopped at an old hang-out we used to frequent back in the day.

There was a local car show this weekend. I had to live up to the build thread title, and enter it into the show.

It was the only RX7 there. It was also probably the "roughest" looking car there. It was probably a dumb idea entering into a car show among $60k-$100k+ hot rod builds, but at the same time, I didn't care. I wanted to check this off my list, and I did. It seemed like crackheads and little kids liked the car the most. Hmm. A handful of people I've known over the years came by and got to see the car for the first time too. It was cool getting to chat with them again and show them that the car really did exist, and to prove to them, I really was going to finish the car, although I know they really could care less either way. Its funny how hard we try in life to prove something to people that could care less about.

I even attended the award ceremony. There were guys that came in from Cali, Canada, Idaho, Montana, Alaska, and a bunch of other places. It was funny to me that they went to all that trouble, all that expense, to walk away with a $15 trophy and the applause of dudes just like them, with cars just like theirs. Naturally, the cars that won were the ones that had chromed-out engine bays, and $20,000.00 paint jobs. I spent most of the day thinking about all the money put into those show cars, and what the return was on that expense. It all really comes down to how much money you have to spend. If you have hundreds of thousands of dollars, you can build up shiny cars, and drive through small-town-car-shows and win $15 trophies. The crazy thing is, there were so many other beautiful cars there that I would love to have, that never so much as got a mention. I feel really dumb for not taking any pictures of some of these cars. I brought my camera and everything, but never took it out of the trunk. But if you've ever been to a car show, you know what I'm talking about.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is; super-expensive builds piss me off. I grew up with very little, and this has made me extremely sensitive to high-dollar spending of any kind.

I guess I should just stop being poor.

Since I'm kind-of "done" with the car and the driving season is winding down, here is a cost-list update for anyone curious.

My RX7 Cost List to date 9/10/2018:

Car: $450
              Wheels: $800
              Licensing: $120
              Optima Battery: $250
              Engine: $1,500
              Transmission: $1,100
              Conversion Kit: $1000
              Coilovers: $500
              Bellhousing and Flywheel: $400
              Stereo and Harness: $230
              Short-Throw Shifter: $250
              Dust Cover (Clutch): $50
              T-Pivot: $30
              Stage 2 Clutch: $250
              Slave Cylinder: $70
              Transmission (Rubber) Mount: $20
              Rear Spacers: $70
              LED Running Lights: $60
              Custom Lip: $80
              Slave Cylinder Adapter: $50
              Tint: $40
              Monster Sub 400 cable: $50
              Window Motor/Regulators: $100
              Window Switch, Misc. Interior Trim: $60
              Full Body Kit: $250
              HID Projector Headlight Kit (H4): $50
              Rear Strut Bar: $30
              A1 Performance Parts Racing Seats: $150
              Custom Radiator Brackets: $150
              OEM TurboII Hood: $100
              Slave Cylinder Adapter: $40
              A/C Clutch: $80
              A/C Lines, Dryer, and Condenser: $30
              Tensioner: $30
              Steel Clutch and Steering Lines: $40
              Radiator and Bracket: $650
              Adjustable Rear Camber Rod: $100
              Oil Sender: $50
              Radiator Hoses: $60
              Front Sway Bar Endlinks: $80
              TurboII LSD: $400
              Water Temp Sender: $20
              NRG Steering Wheel Disconnect: $200
              Custom Steering Shaft Bushing: $70
              Steering Wheel: $150
              Custom Ducktail: $100
              Intake Elbows, Couplers, and Filter: $200
              Battery Cable: $80
              Hedman Ceramic Headers: $400
              Borla Mufflers: $400
              Walbro Fuel Pump: $200
              Accel Fuel Pump: $200
              (2nd) Optima Battery: $230
              Exhaust: $800
              Starter: $200
              Alternator: $150
              Spark Plug Wires and Heat Boots: $30
              Canards: $50
              RE-Amemiya Wing: $500
              Turbo II Axles: $200
              Planted Driver Seat Mount: $150

Total so far: $14,050.00

So at 14k this build is probably considered cheap, but I found this video the other day and thought it was cute, might delete later idk

Anyway, make your own conclusions. I just be out here making poor life choices.

actually irl thinking of all the other things i could have done with 14k lol whatevver
              Last edited by Miroteknik; 09-11-2018, 02:52 PM.

Comment

• Oh, so I can't hang but this super stock not low at all stock wheel havin no spacer ass e36 is all good? You're a dick man haha. Has anything at all been done to the 36? "Builds" definitely add up quick especially when you have a long list of maintenance to take care off also. Do you know how much power you're putting to pavement?
                2 328i e36's
                Saabaru linear 2.5na
                Various projects.
                sigpic
                Intro;

Comment

• Originally posted by Quillhill36 View Post
                  Oh, so I can't hang but this super stock not low at all stock wheel havin no spacer ass e36 is all good? You're a dick man haha. Has anything at all been done to the 36? "Builds" definitely add up quick especially when you have a long list of maintenance to take care off also. Do you know how much power you're putting to pavement?
                  lmao u can hang b, i'm just gonna give u a hard time cuz

as for the stock af e36 i was rolling with, thats just a homie. I didn't post the pic cause his car was low or modified, I posted the pic cause we went for a drive.....
                  here's his old M3, he kinda gave up on mods after he wrapped it around a pole few years back.
                  (lol this pic was taken at the same spot)

Last edited by Miroteknik; 09-13-2018, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• Lmfao what does she say? Sad going from m to non-m, but other than power/brakes they're pretty equal anyhow. I'm just giving you shit back haha. His car is leagues cleaner than mine. Yours is looking good. Still running alright?
                    2 328i e36's
                    Saabaru linear 2.5na
                    Various projects.
                    sigpic
                    Intro;

Comment

• Originally posted by Quillhill36 View Post
                      Lmfao what does she say? Sad going from m to non-m, but other than power/brakes they're pretty equal anyhow. I'm just giving you shit back haha. His car is leagues cleaner than mine. Yours is looking good. Still running alright?

mine still knockin but i just leave the exhaust cut-out open and let the engine noise drown out the knock. problem solved.

Comment

• The excitement and chaos of summer is winding down.
                        I am nearing the end of the "shakedown year".
                        Looking forward to fall, to blasting through leaf-covered streets.
                        Went for a late-night drive.

XXXX

Comment

• I always enjoy reading your thread I love this type of grassroots build, not many of us have the kind of money we see others building cars with, but in the long run, maybe our cars hold more sentimental value because we spend all our time and hard earned money on them.. It's cool seeing your dream come true through this car.

Comment

• I came for the rx7, but I stay for the writing.

Also my old time friend bought an e36, twinsies.

I feel you on the car show thing too

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• Ayyy, dis so purdy

Also, only 14k in is seriously cheap build. Nice work man.
                              IG: @sebastienaudeon
                              1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
                              *pats Sebs head*
                              there there.
                              keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

• Yep that pic is lit (pun intended)

Is a plan to fix the hole in the hood being made or still gonna rock it?

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

Working...
                                X