No announcement yet.

Another BMW E28 - This Time From Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuing with the LSD. It didn't feel right to put it back in standard. I always planned to replace the clutch plates but why stop there... So I did lots of research into how I can improve it's lockup and effectiveness. Standard they are a 2way 25% lock up diff. I found a place called Difflab who specialize in BMW LSD work. So I sent the thrust plates away, where the ramp angles were cut to a new angle, friction surfaces re finished, followed by heat treating and glass bead blasting. This has turned it into a 1.5way diff with 40% lock up.

Before:

Now:

New OEM friction/clutch plates. The old ones had no grooves left in them, so definitely warn out.

Old ones:

As well as new alloy steel plates designed for increased service life and harsher bite:

Old ones were also grooved and worn out:

Definitely learning lots about LSDs and how they work throughout this process.

Comment

• Amazing work, such a lovely car, keep it up dude!

Comment

• Spent all my spare time in the last two weeks polishing and getting her ready for my first ever entry at a car show. Polished and blackened every possible part, came out amazingly. Entered a show of approximately 400 cars. The majority of them classic Holdens and Fords. I was the only car there modified in the "stance" style with low offset wheels, camber and low height. But it was still great to see it get quite a bit of attention. Lots of comments were made on how impressive the wheels were and how clean the car presents itself. Was a great day, look forward to getting it out again.

Went with my friend who owns a super clean fully original 32 GTR.

Comment

• Looks awesome!

Comment

• Ever since building this engine and car it has basically lived in the garage. Never really driven it with meaning. Saturday I went for the biggest drive it has had in a long time. 200kms worth of empty country roads, not far from my house. Amazed at how the car preformed even in it's unpractical form. Engine pulled so well and I didn't scrub once. Looking forward to the next time it leaves the garage.

Comment

• This car has become so perfect=)
              95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Follow me on instagram: earlmeyeriii

Comment

• Sweet deliverance....this is amazing

Comment

• Out with the old.

Comment

• Slowly plugging away at this in my spare time. Cleaned everything up to like new, fitted new side bearings and seals. Assembled the centre with all the fresh parts.

Then out came the old one so I can steal the backing plate off it for the LSD.

Then i put my car aside and pulled apart a e36 M3 to replace all the seals in the VANOS and carry out the rattle procedure. Big job, but nearly finished!

Comment

• Had this in my shed for the last few weeks and finally finished it. No more VANOS rattle and back to running perfectly.

Comment

• Put the diff back together whilst doing the M3 motor, and installed in on Sunday. Haven't tested it's lockup fully yet but it is perfectly quiet and all seems good so far. Was pretty stoked with that. Higher gear ratio is a good thing as well.

Lucky to have so many empty country roads so close to home.

Last edited by epearce; 02-20-2022, 03:07 AM.

Comment

• Excellent work!

@fackinsteve ; fackin build thread :
                          http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ill-build-E36s

Comment

• Amazing work! From wreck to nice shiny e28.

Comment

• really great looking vehicle.

The overall shape and sizing is just spot on.
                              Like in this pic:
                              Lucas
                              Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
                              Originally posted by LCG
                              High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

• When I saw this picture reading through the thread, I fell in love with e28's all over again.

Top work mate, you might have to make a trip over to Melbourne for a show one day!
                                IG: @sebastienaudeon
                                1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
                                *pats Sebs head*
                                there there.
                                keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

Working...
                                X