Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spring rates

Quote Originally Posted by M.Burroughs View Post
    J stocks are actually not that high. My friend just got some and I don't know what I'm allowed to say, but they're nowhere near that stiff.

On my e36 I'm running 750/850
    On my e24 I'm running 450/400
    Wow you run 450/400 on your e24 with credit card tire/fender clearance?!

Mine are 550/700

I love it but I wouldn't mind a little more stiffness out back. I raised my rear up a bit and I still rub tire all the time and sometimes rim.

IG: @_olliee

You're not taking into the account that the E24/E28 has a true rear coilover, meaning 400# in an E24 is about the same as 600# in an E36.

Ah, the benefits of having true coilovers...

A 650/1100 setup in an E36 would be about the same as my 650/750 setup.
    Last edited by driggers.a; 06-14-2009 at 05:09 PM.
    Eatin' Babies

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
    I'm running a 550 lb spring up front and will be running 1000 or 1200 out back. Wheel rate on an e30 is .88 up front and .47 out back. So actual rates are lower. The numbers just seem big.
    Correct. On an e30 you are basically at 1/2 the advertised rate. The e36 is not quite as bad but you will need significantly more rear spring is you want it 'evened' out front to rear.

Quote Originally Posted by 87e30 View Post
    Oh woops. I always do that...

650r 450f. My bad. I just assume the r/f is obvious... woops!
    That seems better

Quote Originally Posted by DaRedRocket View Post
    You're not taking into the account that the E24/E28 has a true rear coilover, meaning 400# in an E24 is about the same as 600# in an E36.

Ah, the benefits of having true coilovers...

A 650/1100 setup in an E36 would be about the same as my 650/750 setup.
    Yep didn't think about that. I may have to step up my spring rates then if I want to step up my game.

IG: @_olliee

Im running 6" 600F and 6" 700R. I may increase the spring rates so that I can go with a shorter spring!

Running true coilover on the rear would be cool, but the rear strut towers would colapse withing a few miles as all the weight of the rear would sit on the topmount, instead of the upper wishbone.

*Click Sigpic For Journal*

Quote Originally Posted by M.Burroughs View Post
    J stocks are actually not that high. My friend just got some and I don't know what I'm allowed to say, but they're nowhere near that stiff.

On my e36 I'm running 750/850
    On my e24 I'm running 450/400

whats your spring lengths on your e36 front and rear?
    buying suspension soon and i wanna make sure I'll be stanced correctly

thanks

It probably depends on which coilover you have but you'll probably want 5" or 6" springs, no longer than 6". I am running 5" on my car (for the front).

I'm not sure about the rear, but it's easy to go low in the rear.

I run 550f 700r on my e30. Rides decent but I'll probably get shorter springs for the rear and go with 800 or 850 lb instead.

Damn... I don't know what mine are in pounds!
    I've been waiting for mine 12 kg/mm/ 10 kg/mm springs to be delivered, but at the moment I've got 9 and 7, which is too soft for my setup.

i realize this is an extreme noob question but you guys seem to know your stuff. im looking for shorter springs with a higher rate for my mk4 rears and havent really found anything with good ol google. what are some good sites to scope some springs?

find out your spring id

search for eibach
    hypercoil
    swift

thanks, will do