Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fabel's Fab Fable

Default Fabel's Fab Fable

Itís time to bring back an old friend to the FMU blog. Like it or leave it, Frame Banginí Fabel is back for a little more TLC.

For those of you who donít know Fabel, itís owned by Miles. If youíve immediately cast your opinion on the man based solely on his car, well, youíre missing out. Even one conversation with him will have you laughing, crying and everything in-between. Heís a people person, and is one of the most sociable people in the local scene. Everybody who knows him, loves him. The same doesnít go for his car, though. Sporting a set of genuine Work Equip 03 wheels and a drop thatís entirely static, his extremely low Miata has a good deal of both friends and enemies. We know this firsthand, thanks to our YouTube video that we put together when we last took his car off the lift. You wouldnít think that a video with Yakety Sax as the music would be our most-viewed video ever, but it is. And the comments never stop; some in favor of the car, some not. Either way, Miles and Fabel are dedicated to what theyíre doing, and so once again, his car finds a place in our garage.

By the way, in the two pictures below, this is what Fabel looks like when the lift arms are bottomed out. Yes, it requires some wood blocks and a flat floor jack to even get him on the lift.

Thereís nothing too extreme taking place at the outset of Fabelís latest round of work. In fact, weíre actually about to do something that you definitely werenít expecting ó thatís right, weíll be *fixing* the Miataís body! After mounting a rearview mirror to his passenger fender and removing his radio antenna, Fabel has two rather large holes on the passenger side of the vehicle. So, itíll be up to us to patch the holes and clean up that side of the body a little bit. Heís elected to fill the holes with metal, so today weíll be looking at that job, from unpatched holes to patched-up sheet metal. First, since weíll be welding in some new metal, we had to shave the paint from around the edges, creating a fresh, bare metal surface that will be much better for welding.

From there, we measured the holesí sizes and cut out new pieces of metal that will fit the gaps as closely as necessary. The MIG welding will fill in the rest, but the closer you get to a perfect fit, the less work there will be in general.

And now itís time to get down to welding. After laying down a welding blanket to cover the other parts of the vehicle, we set about using our MIG welder to tack the new body metal into place. With the tacks complete, we set about filling in the metal wherever we needed to. Since the Miataís sheet metal isnít exactly thick, we have to go slowly with the welding, or else the excess heat will warp the surrounding metal, and no amount of fresh paint will cover up flexed body panels.

With the replacement metal secured to the body, itís time to grind down the metal to a smooth, even finish. If youíve done your welding right, the metal will be nearly uniform as you grind down through the slag, meaning the welding has fully penetrated and connected the new and old metal. A couple tiny little spots in the metal here and there will be fine, but as we said before, the more effort you put into it before having to use body filler or primer, the easier the remainder of the job will be.

The filling of the body holes went well, and now we have two smoothed panels waiting for the next step in the body work. However, while we have it on the lift in fabrication, weíll be knocking out a few more jobs, since itís not exactly easy to maneuver up and down the various inclines we have at Fluid MotorUnion. Our next bit of fab work will involve our favorite topic ó exhaust! Fabelís exhaust has a couple low points, one of which is his resonator, and itís been dented in from being repeatedly smashed into the ground. After a bit of detective work, weíve devised a way to tuck his midsection even further into the vehicle, once again making his steel-reinforced frame rails the low points on the car.

Stay tuned for more Fabel content coming your way! We also have a whole slew of other topics to bring on board as well, so stick around our blog and take a look at some of our other projects. Have a great start to your week!

www.fluidmotorunion.com
    www.stanceworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Oxer
    I'm pretty sure I will molest any exhaust systems you leave lying around

I'm overly excited to see a little bit of body work being done!
    IG: ashtonlafleur

Quote Originally Posted by aLaFleur View Post
    I'm overly excited to see a little bit of body work being done!
    On Frame Bangin' Fabel, no less! The one car I thought I'd never see us doing body work on...

Goes to show you that Miles is full of surprises! Just wait until we start moving into the more hardcore work. It's going to get interesting, to say the least.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
    www.stanceworks.com

Miles is a great guy, met him a couple times over the years.

Crazy car is crazy. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by FluidMotorUnion View Post
    On Frame Bangin' Fabel, no less! The one car I thought I'd never see us doing body work on...

Goes to show you that Miles is full of surprises! Just wait until we start moving into the more hardcore work. It's going to get interesting, to say the least.
    Yea, I definitely wasn't expecting that.

This all better be happening so he can drive it to SoWo...

Follow Me On Instagram! @jvc8790 #jvcphotography

Quote Originally Posted by JVC View Post
    This all better be happening so he can drive it to SoWo...
    Ooooh, you'd have to ask him about that. Not sure what his SoWo plans are.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
    www.stanceworks.com

I had no idea things were underway.

without doubt, I will be back to this thread to repost how unbelievably happy I am.

Quote Originally Posted by FABEL View Post
    I had no idea things were underway.

without doubt, I will be back to this thread to repost how unbelievably happy I am.
    You goin to SoWo?

short answer, yes.

short answer, yes.
    This made my day. <3

short answer, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by JVC View Post
    This made my day. <3
    Yay

Can't wait what you guys do with this "dirty roadster"!!! Fabel always talks quality about work you guys do! So far I love everything that was done to it ! But you have to get the car on the lift to fully appreciate the craftsmanship!

Ps: FABEL is to scared to drive the miata to SOWO! :P

///M3 drivers have no friends! -Jeremy Clarkson....

Fabel cant wait to see you at sowo motherfucker hahaha
    I dislike Byron.

^ , not only to Khalil, but to everyone posted.

I will be at SOWO, but don't think my roadster will be. there's a few reasons, but foremost is I want to respect FMU in every way possible & not put any pressure on the crew to complete the car by a specific time. they are wonderful to work with & at the very least, I don't need to be another jerk coming in there shouting not only towards making very custom work happen regardless of difficulty, but then to add a time limit as well?

naw I won't conduct myself in either of those ways. I'm classier than that, they've already been given enough headache by me asking for some very unique pieces to be fabricated, & I have too much respect for the crew always lending a hand towards making dreams come true (& be safe while at it).

also, I appreciate any of you even caring about my car - it humbles me plenty!, but unless I had about 2wks. to make it down there one way, the car just won't handle the drive. I've already started saving up all of my vacation time at work so that I can use it next year for this exact purpose. I should have 16 days collected by the end of 1st quarter for the following year, & you better believe I will be taking my silly lil slamster. thinking of leaving it with a fellow SW member if there is any local & flying back down to scrape back to Chicago.

this car really is a lot of work to pilot even outside of the incredible fabrication that is far from over.

another thing to remember is, even when I scraped to H20i, I had been sleeping in my car each day. that was 9 days & only 2 showers at the truck stops that had them available. my money is very tight & 9 hotels there with another 7 back would rack my credit card up well over $1k, besides gas & if I lose work days.

FABEL uses ingenuity over dollars in everything that he does, & so I shall take example from his successes & live the same. SOWO 2014, lol I'm already preparing.

So you're riding with Kamil to SoWo then? Or taking the E36?

So excited for SoWo!

I will be at SOWO, but don't think my roadster will be. there's a few reasons, but foremost is I want to respect FMU in every way possible & not put any pressure on the crew to complete the car by a specific time. they are wonderful to work with & at the very least, I don't need to be another jerk coming in there shouting not only towards making very custom work happen regardless of difficulty, but then to add a time limit as well?

naw I won't conduct myself in either of those ways. I'm classier than that, they've already been given enough headache by me asking for some very unique pieces to be fabricated, & I have too much respect for the crew always lending a hand towards making dreams come true (& be safe while at it).

also, I appreciate any of you even caring about my car - it humbles me plenty!, but unless I had about 2wks. to make it down there one way, the car just won't handle the drive. I've already started saving up all of my vacation time at work so that I can use it next year for this exact purpose. I should have 16 days collected by the end of 1st quarter for the following year, & you better believe I will be taking my silly lil slamster. thinking of leaving it with a fellow SW member if there is any local & flying back down to scrape back to Chicago.

this car really is a lot of work to pilot even outside of the incredible fabrication that is far from over.

another thing to remember is, even when I scraped to H20i, I had been sleeping in my car each day. that was 9 days & only 2 showers at the truck stops that had them available. my money is very tight & 9 hotels there with another 7 back would rack my credit card up well over $1k, besides gas & if I lose work days.

FABEL uses ingenuity over dollars in everything that he does, & so I shall take example from his successes & live the same. SOWO 2014, lol I'm already preparing.
    Can't argue with that. Come find my shit box and while you're there and I can pretend to admire Fable over a beer or two.

Reading this put a huge smile on my face. There is nothing like spending some nights in your car to truly appreciate the car as well as simple luxuries such as a sleeping bag. I also will not be attending SoWo this year but I am definitely excited to be there in 2014 and super excited to see the miata.

Miles will you ride dirty in ODB with me at SoWo?
    Ol Dirty Bastard

Photo by Alex Dooley
    www.ruined-luxury.com

I would love nothing more. please! make sure it happens.

I love fabel!
    IG @RobthaBavarian

I'm getting impatient...

Is this car done or dead? just curious cause I haven't seen new pavment scars on the streets in a while.

Im here.....still waiting

Quote Originally Posted by Topazkd View Post
    Im here.....still waiting
    that makes at least two of us... if Miles had a cell phone that was made after 1999 we might have some mediocre pictures of this slut. But captain flip phone doesn't do technology.