Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first Nissan

Good afternoon everyone,

I recently purchased my 31st car (first Nissan) and I couldn't be happier. It is a 1984 Turbo Z31 with a manual transmission & 140,000 miles. It looks like the previous owner swapped a manual transmission in it because the wire looming doesn't appear to be stock.

It came with no exhaust after the downpipe so I just had a high flow cat and magnaflow muffler welded up yesterday. Before having it installed, the thing sounded like a cam'd American V8. :icon_super:

I've ran into a few problems so far:
    The idle sucks, it dies frequently unless i keep the idle up until it is warm. Once it is warm, the idle still bounces but it doesn't die.

The rear end clunks like crazy, I think it is the diff mount but when I looked at it, the mount didn't appear completely busted.

The starter grinds 50% of the time when starting... maybe an adjustment is needed?

Interior is disgusting, I'm debating just gutting it since this is solely a project car

There are a ton electrical connectors not plugged into anything and the TPS is not wired up nor is the connector anywhere to be found!

Any input, questions, concerns are welcome. :icon_pidu:

Onto the good stuff.

TPS, loose wires and clip nearby

Passenger side by firewall loose connector

Another down by battery

Near front driver side headlight

New custom exhaust while it was being welded

Finished

I got disgusted by the clear coat discoloration so I brush sanded the plenum cover... pictures don't do justice.
    Before:

After:

Update:
    I forgot how old school these cars were for adjusting management. I played with the IACV adjustment screw and distributor position and the car is running much better.

I pulled and found that the differential mount was trashed causing a lot of vibration. I decided to make a solid mount utilizing some 3"x3"x8" angled steel (1/4" thick). The thickness is easily overkill, but it was readily available. :003:

Old mount vs new steel

Drilled out using the old mount as a template. The holes bolting to the frame use 1/2" bit while the two to the diff use 5/8". I opened up two of the frame bolt holes to allow for easier installation. The piece was painted Pistachio green because once again, it was readily available in the garage. :043:

All bolted up and dirty already:

This mod made the rear much tighter and the jolting calmed down. Of course with this being a solid mount, the shakes and transfers now put more stress on the other mounts so I'll be making solid mounts for the engine and subframe soon. I'm not worried about the vibrations because this is merely a project car.

Found some Hayashi Racing HRE Techno R wheels locally today. Great deal on them, but unfortunately they are in horrible cosmetic condition and are slightly too wide. They appear to be 15x8.5 front and 15x9 rear... offset appears to be 0 or even negative.

I'm on the fence of flaring the car or when I refinish the wheels moving the fronts to the rear and re-barreling the rear.

Onto more pictures:

While they had two caps the wheels are severely weathered. Caps are trash...

Wide and stupid on old stock suspension:

Loving the style for the car, but fitment needs to be addressed:

Comment

Always glad to see Z31s on here.

I think those wheels will fit well actually, get some tires with a bit of stretch, and keep in mind when you lower the rear it's going to camber in due to the nature of the rear trailing arm design, roll the lips and I think it might sit near perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjaypea View Post
        Always glad to see Z31s on here.

I think those wheels will fit well actually, get some tires with a bit of stretch, and keep in mind when you lower the rear it's going to camber in due to the nature of the rear trailing arm design, roll the lips and I think it might sit near perfect.
        Thank you, the Z31 is an awesome platform, I'm surprised there are not more. I'll try pulling the fenders a bit once I figure out suspension for the car.

Comment

Ah cool I love old Z cars. One of my good friends back in California had a 302 swapped s30 and a turbo s130, both super cool cars to drive.

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
          I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

Originally posted by 190Evan View Post
            Ah cool I love old Z cars. One of my good friends back in California had a 302 swapped s30 and a turbo s130, both super cool cars to drive.
            Badass, they sound fun as hell to drive. Power from the vg30et isn't bad even in the stock form. For now I plan to up the boost a little since I got the high flow exhaust bolted up. I'm surprised how much power vg's can handle with stock internals.

Comment

Oh yeah and VG's yield one of my favorite stock engine exhaust notes with just straight pipes.

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
              I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

Lame update:
                Hood struts, spark plugs, and a leftover filter was installed after I opened up the stock box and found no filter.

Comment

Working...
                X