Florida e9 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida e9 project

Like most of you im sure, I fell in love with these cars when I first laid my eyes on one. Playing with early watercooled volkswagens ended up with me playing with a few 2002's and then I ended up with a coupe. A bunch of them later and some I shouldnt have sold I saw the prices jump and thought to myself I should sell my VW and grab one to keep before I really cant afford one, so here I am.

This will be a VERY slow build thread...I think. Money is the killer, and Im having my first kid in a few days as I type this so will have to balance out.

I originally started a build thread on e9coupe.com but I know theres a bunch of BMW guys on here and mikes coupe made me want one badly so Im gonna start one here as well.

Back in January I bought a 70 2800cs out of Louisiana.

Pretty car, right? Looks can be deceiving...

It had an outside restoration some years ago, the car is supposed to be blue. Nice job on the oustide, but its in need of metal work... arent they all?

As it arrived.

First thing I did was sell the Gottis to a e28 or vw kid to recoupe the transport costs, and gathered some alloys and new rubbers and slapped them on for the mean time. I also replaced the broken passenger window regulator with a good one I had in another car here.

I sold the Nardi wheel that was in it as I have this Petri to install.

I then bought these used 32/36 webers with manifolds and linkage here thinking I would just get this motor going, but im scared of this motor. I can't turn it. I havent tried to oil the cylinders and honestly id rather not bother with it. I believe I will buy a donor car and swap it all in which is what I think I will end up doing.

I ended up patching the passenger side floors with regular sheet, as the drains just rotted out and replacing full pans on driver side.

The w&n rear pans fit amazing. The fronts suck. They just sell you the stamp for the drain essentially. If I were to do it again, Id order front pans from dagsites as theyre actually formed sheet.

Now that I actually have drains on the driver side I think im gonna pony up some more money for some stamped metal and weld that in so the floors are uniform when looking underneath.

The work isnt perfect, but me and a buddy knocked it out in the florida heat over a few days at a time, but its whatever as im not trying to restore this car on my small budget, im looking to make it a driver. I've never been one to enjoy extremely clean cars.

And thats basically where I'm at so far with this project.

Comment

we have an e9 in the familly that is enjoying of the same cancer in the driver side footwell, ive done e30 floors but the e9 always scared me, good job on the floors i cant wait to see where this goes!

Comment

Originally posted by Duffyboby View Post
        we have an e9 in the familly that is enjoying of the same cancer in the driver side footwell, ive done e30 floors but the e9 always scared me, good job on the floors i cant wait to see where this goes!
        Thanks! This was mine and a buddies first time ever doing any floors like this.

I'm a dumbass for chopping the seat frame up instead of just drilling out the spot welds so now I gotta make sure I can get the seat mounts all aligned.

Worst comes to worst I find another but live and learn!

Comment

Working...
        X