Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Static 190E 2.3-16

Greetings, Friends:

For years, I have been enjoying reading through build threads, and watching the clever ideas that everyone develops, the bold moves people make, and then the antics that make the purists go nuts. Even if it is not my style, I can respect that someone took the time to make their vision a reality.

With that inspiration in mind, I thought I would share my build with you. It is my low-budget (cue the famous song by The Kinks), rat-rod-esque, static 1986 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-16. With this thread, I will share some its history, and bring you along for the ride for the next adventure. Or, you can watch with me as it disintegrates into dust – whichever comes first.

Here are a few recent pics:

Pic 36_zpsll0ubmos

Pic 37_zpsxpexdmjw

Pic 35_zpsrygvjb4t

Here is where it began…

That fender was even worse than the pic suggests. Thankfully, the seller had another 2.3-16 specific fender. Aficionados know that the regular 190E fenders are different than the 2.3-16 190E fenders. The actual fender does not flare out. The added fender flares, which are a part of the body kit, only give the appearance of the flare.

Pic 1_zpsvcueg20p

Got the new fender painted and installed. Here we are at the James Dean Festival. Next step, remove the cheap, aftermarket grill that is flimsy and falling apart!

DSCN1652

The heart of the beast.

Pic 3a_zpsipveajf9

Pic 6a_zpsborw2gt7

Pic 6b_zpsipyc54jy

Pic 6c_zpsh85927l2

Pic 6d_zpspvow1eup

Pic 7a_zpsmc6vg8dt

Back to original grill. This is more my style.

Pic 4_zpskxogy33s

Early morning shots:

Pic 6_zpsghmuqzbq

Pic 7_zpsfita3miq

DSCN2118-Version2_zps74084410

DSCN2121-Version2_zps7afd1071

A/C delete!

Pic 6f_zpsizfck1bf

Pic 6g_zps4yjlnhau

About this time, I had decided to really go all out and make this a performance dedicated car. I swapped the wheels to lightweight CLKs…

Pic 9_zpsouscsow3

I gutted the interior…

Pic 9a_zpsyxs6h3xx

PIc 9b_zpsjdpb4xsm

I made the pilgrimage to Southern Worthersee (for the last year that it existed, that is)…

Pic 10_zpsmatubv3e

I knew the car had rust when I bought it. But, I did not realize that it was getting this bad…

Pic 11_zpsokaowsxn

Pic 12_zpsnmb4zxro

Pic 13_zpsviwztfsc

At this point, I knew that I could not, in good conscience, thrash this car around the curves and corners, etc. I made the decision to just drop it down. That would involve first pulling the body kit.

More rust…

Pic 15_zpstopg7qtq

Pic 14_zpsbcv7kbmi

Pic 16_zpsecz3gprn

Pic 17_zps1b8qw5ir

And you have to pull swap the fenders too. Here is a pic with the wheels that eventually landed on the car.

Pic 19_zpsax0rno4x

Made it down to Water by the Bridge 2016. (Why the promoters do not print up decals for Water by the Bridge is beyond me. That would seem to be cheap, and effective advertising.)

Pic 20_zpsczrraiiw

Always loved stinger pipes. Decided to give it a run with my car. I am sure purists love it too. =)

Pic 19a_zpswxf5c7qc

On the way back from Water by the Bridge, I found an interesting spot…

DSCN3990

And it seemed like there was a graveyard behind the antiques building…

Pic 24_zpsgyujmxz8

Pic 25_zpsvqkizpli

The trip to Water by the Bridge was the first real opportunity to get out and stretch the cars legs with the recent lowering. First thing that needed to be addressed was ride quality. Front was alright. In the front, I was running the r129 strut mounts, the customary Bilstein sport B8 application, cut stock 16v springs, and 4-nub spring shims. The front was good, but back was miserable.

Seeing some of you install the Ford Ranger shocks on the rears of your 190s, I thought I would give it a whirl. Note that these shocks are from the FRONT of the Ford Ranger – NOT the rear.

Thread Pic 2_zpsblqxtu0s

Having heard that the Ford Ranger shock is a viable alternative for those wanting to go LOW, I decided to give it a shot. Given the inexpensive price of the Gabriels from Summit, I thought it might be worth a try.

Thread Pic 3_zpsjybdux48

Luckily, I had some extra bushings lying around. Otherwise, I would have to beat the old ones out of my Bilsteins.

Thread Pic 4_zpsnhsw59al

Thread Pic 5_zpsemp97wc8

Thread Pic 6_zps8qm6ho7t

Thread Pic 7_zpsznnkb6ng

As you can see, there is significant shock travel gained by swapping to the Ford Ranger front shocks.

Thread Pic 8_zps6kof2ks8

Thread Pic 9_zps21aadcid

Thread Pic 10_zpsvumt2lmr

Pic 26_zpsjrbxykl1

Pic 27_zpsrhrdgozp

Because there is not much clearance, I knew these wide wheels were not going to work for long. So, it was back to my 16” SL wheels.

Pic 29_zpsiywkpfzr

Here we are gearing up for Eurohanger 2016.

Pic 32_zpsvkj9kygq

Made it to Eurohangar 2016. However, there were a few bumps along the way where I was literally checking in my rearview mirror to see what fell off. Totally expecting to see exhaust pipes. Surprisingly, the only thing I lost was a jack pad. Unbelievable. This is static, mind you.

Pic 33_zpsyuudnsxq

Decided that the stinger pipe just wasn't right for this car. Swapped to something a little more in line with the mood of this car... with some junk I had lying around.

29a_zps47etxhkd

DSCN4065_zps8l6wrzk4

Update on the rear shocks. The trip to Eurohangar convinced me that the cheap Gabriels were simply NOT going to cut it. It was time to invest in some proper Bilsteins.

DSCN4079_zpslaiynfzw

Thankfully, Bilstein makes some for the front of Ford Ranger. P/N 24-022361. Here, you can see it compared against the typical Bilstein recommended for the 190E.

DSCN4080_zpstdleu4bt

DSCN4081_zpsfofq7n5n

The experiment started with the Gabriel shocks for the Ford Ranger. The purpose of the experiment was to observe the ride quality with the increased shock travel in the lowered application. The increased shock travel certainly helped, but the generally poor quality of the Gabriels necessitated the upgrade.

DSCN4083_zpsbaxwomen

We all knew that the Bilsteins were lightyears ahead in quality. But, there is really nothing look going from something like a cheap Gabriel shock to a Bilstein to REALLY make that improvement that much more noticeable. The Bilsteins are SO much more firm and controlled. Now, it actually feels like I am driving a Mercedes again – in spite of its LOW ride height. Also interesting to note, the rubber bushing inserts from the Gabriels were already loose – and there was barely 1,100 miles on them!!

DSCN4085_zpsjplseslf

DSCN4087_zpsd8gtakbk

Stay tuned for more to come. This build is really never going to be finished. Well, when the shock towers finally rust apart, then this build will be finished. I am not going to bother spending the time to weld in new metal when you can get a 2.3 190E rolling shell for about $500. At that point, I may just tear out the drive train and drop it in to a cleaner car. We’ll see. Until then, keep watch for more on the ROSTIG, LANGSAM, UND GESUNKEN 190E 2.3-16.

Deutschland201
    Last edited by Deutschland201; 08-01-2017, 06:53 PM.

Love a clean 190e Great work man

Comment

Absolutely loving this, keep it going!

Comment

A weight-saving update

Here is an update I thought I would share. Because 30 year sunroof seals start to go bad and leak, and as the motors stop working, etc. etc., and at which point the sunroof assembly then becomes nothing more than leaking dead weight, I decided to just pull the whole thing.

Pic 39_zpsxosjccfa

So, with some layers of fiberglass right over the top, we have a strong, permanent, leak-proof panel. I then just taped it off and spray-painted it black. Cheap, but effective!

Pic 40_zpszucuu7ob

This new panel may weigh 1, maybe 2 lbs. Considering the sunroof panel and assembly weighed every bit of 60 lbs., that is a considerable weight savings.

Pic 41_zpsgznowavf

And many thanks for the compliments, by the way!!!
        Last edited by Deutschland201; 08-01-2017, 06:56 PM.

Comment

More Updates - Rust repair, and seat installation, and more pics for fun!

DSCN4126_zpsv24ya4vp

DSCN4127_zpsvgaycgat

DSCN4129_zpsh4jn7ggs

DSCN4130_zpsznr6ki5w

DSCN4131_zpsigwyhxov

DSCN4132_zpsd8mo9gnn

DSCN4133_zpsgwsqikis

DSCN4128_zps5oktci6o

DSCN4136_zpsr3dcmdzr

DSCN4141_zpsfzxc2hat

DSCN4138_zpsfes0aild

DSCN4134_zpsuyxfibmf

DSCN4146_zpsbxjymzb8

DSCN4147_zps7gktx5wz

DSCN4144_zpst6hx6cli

DSCN4143_zpswcm96uvw

DSCN4142_zpssd6elrkb

DSCN4148_zpshund3pbr

DSCN4149_zpseiqp7ecp

DSCN4151_zpskrtgpsz9

DSCN4152_zpsymbyhtzn

Also, another update. Seat installation!

DSCN4153_zpswkcb1rlv

DSCN4154_zpsbdj0fam5

DSCN4155_zps5mikdwwo

DSCN4156_zpstcuu7czo

DSCN4158_zpsvexg47u8

DSCN4160_zpszeiwidsr

DSCN4162_zpsyjfyey1m
          Last edited by Deutschland201; 07-08-2017, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Where did you find this, the rust matches one I sold seven or eight years ago...

It went to Columbus I think
            Activity is not on my list of activities.

Comment

190E and a MK1 GTI?! My favorite cars of all time!

Originally, WAAAY back when - it came from California. When I got it, it came from South Chicago. Before that, I think it was in Richmond, Indiana. Before that, I believe it was in Bloomington, Indiana. Bloomington is not too far from Columbus, Indiana. If you have any old insurance statements or records, perhaps you may have some VIN information? We could compare notes.

Who knows - it might be the same one! Wild.

Comment

great one man but did you not cut our the rust before the fiberglass or did i miss something?

Comment

Originally posted by whacka View Post
                  great one man but did you not cut our the rust before the fiberglass or did i miss something?
                  You did not miss anything. And, you are absolutely correct. A legit repair would be to remove the rust before applying the fix. I should not have called it a repair. This was more of a way to just prevent water from coming into the car when I drive. Frankly, this body is too far gone to justify the time it would take for a proper restoration - especially given the availability of other 201 chassis shells that could be used as donor vehicles for the drivetrain. That may be an option down the road. Time will tell.

By the way, thanks for reading!

Comment

Update

DSCN4174_zpsikyavax7

DSCN4175_zpsgirwuv2s

DSCN4176_zps3u7blgwz

DSCN4179_zpsqlfu7icu
                    Last edited by Deutschland201; 07-08-2017, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Gearing up for winter... and snow... sigh

DSCN4185 - Copy_zpsgy7lzjop

DSCN4186_zpsnljmj1rr
                      Last edited by Deutschland201; 07-07-2017, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Drop the resin and step away from the vehicle!

Comment

Originally posted by Asshole Bicycle View Post
                          Drop the resin and step away from the vehicle!
                          Well played!

P.S. Love your shotgun exhaust, by the way!
                          Last edited by Deutschland201; 03-03-2017, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Update - New Fender

Procured a new (well, new to me) fender to replace the resin mess fender! Woo hoo!

DSCN4187_zpss7xkys6j

Not perfect. But, it is light-years ahead of the previous fender!
                            Last edited by Deutschland201; 07-07-2017, 08:45 PM.

Comment

This looks good... excusing the dodgy repairs.
                              Whatever path you take to get to your automotive nirvana is the right path, everyone’s path is different. If more people liked cars because they are cars—not because they are a way to get attention or to way to be better than someone else—then I think the automotive world would be a better place. -benmassey

Build Thread:

Comment

Working...
                              X