Sorta cool ra24 Celica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorta cool ra24 Celica

So you may or may not know me from my ls400 "build", but long story short I decided to not modify it any further, and I picked this up a few months ago.

It is a 1975 Celica GT with a 20r and 5 speed transmission. Besides a few spots in the trunk, the car is rust free and for the most part straight. The paint is faded in many spots, but the interior is perfect.

Sorry in advance about the crap phone quality pictures. I just got the car out of storage and haven't had a chance to get the fancy camera out to take photos.

As for the plans with the car, I would like it to be a good mix of a auto x car and a touge car as there are some nice mountain roads where I live. It would be nice to "stance" this car, but it has a solid rear axle so there isn't camber adjustments in the rear.

Anyways, enjoy this thread as I build this on an extremely low budget because high school students don't earn much.
    sigpic

Old Japanese cars are my thing
    Follow me on the gram @driftundertheradar

So I pulled the trigger and bought fender flares for the Celica. I got them about a month ago, but I never really got a chance to check them out.

The flares are from fiberglassmafia.com. They aren't a perfect fit, but I didn't expect them to be perfect. Plus they were decently priced so I figured why not.

The flares add an additional one inch at the front corners and two inches in the rear corners.

sigpic

Comment

Well... your pics aren't linked properly. You need to get the specific image address, not the page the image is on for the link.

It's a good looking car though. T3 sells some good stuff for all the older and cooler toyotas, so you should definitely hit them up. If I recall correctly, they sell a whole coilover conversion for these and corollas.

Comment

Originally posted by nishy View Post
        It's a good looking car though. T3 sells some good stuff for all the older and cooler toyotas, so you should definitely hit them up. If I recall correctly, they sell a whole coilover conversion for these and corollas.
        I saw the front coilover conversion kit on the site, but I am guessing that I will have to have a custom rear coilover setup made because the Celica (at least the first gens) have a solid rear axle.
        sigpic

Comment

This is gonna be a good build! Always wanted one of these...
          Whatever path you take to get to your automotive nirvana is the right path, everyone’s path is different. If more people liked cars because they are cars—not because they are a way to get attention or to way to be better than someone else—then I think the automotive world would be a better place. -benmassey

Build Thread:

Comment

Originally posted by CDeez5 View Post
            This is gonna be a good build! Always wanted one of these...
            I never thought I would see one of these, but the previous owner pulled it out of his shed and put it up on craigslist. Also, thanks!!
            sigpic

Comment

So I fired the car today for the first time in what seems forever, but I noticed that the whole exhaust was made out of flex pipe and the exhaust manifold has a hole about the size of a quarter. Needless to say the Celica sounds like a tractor and is very loud. I will have to find a solution sometime soon.
              sigpic

Comment

I have a quick update:
                I got around to taking the interior out of the car and I have started the painful process of getting all of the sound deadening out of the car.

As you can see the horrid orange/red carpet that has been in the car since day one. It smells horrible and I'm sure some mice have used it as a restroom more than once.

So far I have gotten all of the carpet out and I have taken out the console because it really isn't needed and I like the way it looks without it. The interior is pretty much perfect considering all of the seats are intact (minus the tweed in the driver's seat starting to come undone) and the door panels are perfect. I didn't really want any of it in the car while I have it for now, but I think eventually it will all go back in.

I have been staring at the handbrake for a while, and I want to do something about the shifter boot, but I can't think of something.
                sigpic

Comment

OMG I love these Celicas, I wanted one so bad for awhile.
                  Sub'd

Comment

Originally posted by Greasy63 View Post
                    OMG I love these Celicas, I wanted one so bad for awhile.
                    Sub'd
                    I've always wanted one since I was little and I finally found one, but I'll tell you it's a blessing and a curse to have one. It's super hard to find genuine parts, but on the other hand it is cool to have something so unique.
                    sigpic

Comment

Yea hear you

Comment

Old Skool JDM, I can dig this
                        2017 Fiesta ST: S280 turbo w/ all the extra stuff, Ksport coils, Ronal R50 16x7.5 wheels

Comment

So yesterday when I was cleaning out the interior I noticed some rust under one of the door sills. At first I thought it was just surface rust, but upon further inspection it has rusted the metal thin. So today I went out and some spray paint that has rust sealant in it and a few sheets of fiberglass and resin. If this was a show car, or I cared about it being perfect then I would've cut the piece out and welded a new piece in.

Pro tip: Always have more than one brush to apply your resin for the fiberglass... because after a while it turns solid and you can no longer use it.

While I was waiting for the resin to set, I took some photos of the car. I also took the mandatory fitment shot. Yeah, I know the fitment doesn't even exist, but what else would a 5.5 inch wide wheel look with +32 offset look like? I need to address this issue ASAP, but I have to order some gaskets for the motor. Also that is my dad's 1975 Malibu that he wants to LS swap. It's cool that both of our old cars are from the same year, but come from opposite parts of the world.

I also had to add my extra horsepower stickers on the rear window to help out the mind boggling 70 horsepower 20r. One is Slammedenuff because I definitely have all of the lows and the other is Garage Moon Power which is a drift team in Atlanta, Georgia

I just wanted to get this update out to let you all know what's going on!
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm kinda on a role with these updates, but for now I am just showing you the rust that I sealed and put fiberglass over.

The rust isn't too bad, but I didn't want it to continue.

I know in the future I will cut these pieces out and replace them with new metal, but for now since I am limited by money and skill, new metal isn't high on the priority list.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LowerKraut View Post
                              Old Skool JDM, I can dig this
                              I'm hoping it turns out cool. For the looks I want it to have a Kyusha style.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X