MK1 Cabriolet Extra Crispy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MK1 Cabriolet Extra Crispy

So I finally got another project car! I Still have my truck thank god and can work on this on the side! It's a 1986 VW Cabriolet 1.8 5 speed with manual everything. So now about the crispy part. So yesterday I was trying to figure out why it was smoking off the intake manifold. I took the valve cover off and that gasket was toast probably the original one. So I spent $14 on a new one, put it all back together, and took it for a test drive. It didn't smoke as much while driving or so I thought. As soon as I got back to my house smoke started coming out of the engine bay and then flames............... Evidently the fuel lines that go to the intake manifold were also leaking and I drove it around enough to make the fuel get onto the exhaust manifold and ignite. So now I have to replace all the hoses, plastics, sensors, and wires on the passenger side of the engine bay. I don't have a garage to work in so I'm thinking I'm just going to take off the intake manifold, exhaust manifold, check the valve cover gasket again, and replace everything that got burn and go from there. I will get some pictures this afternoon as I didn't take any last night in the dark.

Birth by fire. I wanna see these pics

Comment

Here are the pics of the poor Cabriolet. I have a shopping cart of all new parts and some upgrades and it totals about $670. And I still haven't found where to buy Fuel Distributor Lines. I'll probably end up spending another $100 at a junkyard to get everything I can't find new. Thankfully I finally have a job and this is my summer project!

Comment

oooh i like
        Passion Garage

http://www.voomeran.jp

Comment

Originally posted by PassionGarage View Post
          oooh i like
          Yeah! I'm super excited to finally have a project car and a job at the same time!! I already have about $700 worth of parts saved in a few shopping carts and none of them are cosmetic. I should be able to buy them all in a month or so and then I can start fixing it up! After I get it running and everything working I plan on lowering it and saving up for some 16" two piece Snowflakes from fifteen52! I'm not sure what I plan on doing with the body. I do plan on shaving all the trim holes, rear bumper, and the side markers.

Comment

Looks like a great specimen. Hope you go ham on this. Shaved and tucked everything. Laying frame.

#NothinTucksLikeaVDub

Comment

So she's still just sitting. My next 2 paychecks are going towards new tires for my truck. After that then the fun can begin! I really want her at DD status by September/October so I can stop spending so much money in gas on my truck. I'm not in a rush though so it'll be going slow for awhile. I know where I want to go with her though so it should be show quality in a few years! Still want to bag it, shave it, and paint it a super cool color. I don't know what color yet. She'll get there eventually though!

Comment

This could be good, always in for making a mk1 road worthy again

Plans sound great. Keen to see this sitting on some 2piece wheels
                I'm normally not a fan of 16's on mk1. But somehow cabrios can pull them off easier imo.

Anyway keep this updated

i shouldn't be daily driving this:
                "Volkswagen Golf mk1 build thread"

Comment

I've always wanted a cabrio so I could find a junked Golf of the same year, chop the roof off of it, and weld it on to the cabrio. My crazy fantasies . Cant wait to se how this turns out!
                  Whatever path you take to get to your automotive nirvana is the right path, everyone’s path is different. If more people liked cars because they are cars—not because they are a way to get attention or to way to be better than someone else—then I think the automotive world would be a better place. -benmassey

Build Thread:

Comment

Thanks! I'm just finishing up a few things on my truck before I start working on this!

Comment

Working...
                    X