X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Widened Purple 1989 Toyota MR2 SC

PART I: RED

Hello fellow car enthusiasts!

My name is Joe and after far too long under the knife I am finally driving my project car! That being said, it still needs a lot of work, though I'm happy to say that the majorly expensive parts of the build are out of the way. I'm hoping there are some old-school Toyota fans out there that appreciate my car's quirkiness and can motivate me to keep the spaghetti dish that is my engine bay somewhat presentable!

My car is a 1989 Toyota MR2, chassis code AW11. It's the supercharged model, so it has the 4A-GZE engine, which makes 145 horsepower and 140 pounds of torque from the factory. Its a lot of fun to drive, will always be mistaken for a Fiat/Fiero, and has surprisingly never snap-oversteered me into anything concrete. Huh!

Here it is currently:

Wheels: Enkei 92's, gold, 15" x 8", +25mm offset
    Tires: Falken ZE912, 195/50/15
    Suspension: ST springs, Tokico shocks
    Engine: 4AGZE, 180mm supercharger pulley, Bluetop cams, .30 bore, polished and
    ported head, rebuilt functional side intake, de-catted 2.5" exhaust to Fujitsubo muffler.
    Other: Tarnished old Momo steering wheel, mismatched blue Cusco strut brace.

I purchased the vehicle from this nice-enough guy, well-seeming enough, definitely the 'I promise you, rust free' kind of guy, but he had not one but two Honda S2000's on his premises, and we bargained him down considerably, so I pulled the trigger! That was in February of 2011. I drove an automatic 1999 Acura Integra LS that I definitely kind of miss now. I saw it the Integra once, a year or so after I sold it, just scrambling through an intersection like mad. The MR2 looked like this, then:

Well, actually, it came with Eibach springs and stock teardrops, which I wish I still had. I quickly located a set of Riken 14"x6",+35mm offset mesh wheels, which I had on for probably six months. I saved up a bit of money and bought the Enkei's which are on it currently. 15"x8", +25mm offset. Definitely a dream wheel, at the time at least, as I love mesh and other 1970's and 1980's influenced wheel designs.

The engine was stock, the exhaust was stock (with rust holes), the stereo speakers were blown, and whenever I stalled it at an intersection occasionally the car would die as if the battery was completely unconnected. And I stalled it a lot, because I had never driven standard before, and I'm not particularly agile; so, well, it was a slow learning process that was made a bit stressful due to intermittent old car issues.

My friend who gave me a blitz rundown on driving stick drove a very cool EP3 Honda Civic, which when shifted made me giggle but also feel sad about my own driving abilities. Nevertheless, I managed to wrangle the thing, electrical bugs aside, as my daily for the next few months, through the last weeks of winter and into a bright and promising spring

The previous owner had told me the engine had been 'recently' rebuilt, though not long into ownership the engine pretty weirdly grenaded, shedding a ton of oil very quickly. In my absolute noobishness I probably wasn't vigilant enough with checking the oil and wasn't as careful about the telltale 'tick' that I now know all too well with a straggling engine...

Regardless, after many horrendous and unaffordable quotes from local (IE, near-rural Fraser Valley, British Columbia Canada) shops to even talk about getting this thing drivable, I nearly gave up. In a last ditch attempt, I joined the local Toyota MR2 owner's forum and contacted a young man local to me, and over the next several harrowing months we rebuilt my 4A-GZE. He's going to be in my wedding party this August.

My next few upgrades included ST Springs instead of the Enkeis, which lowered the car a bit further, the aforementioned Enkei wheels and the 'TOYOTA' rear visor. That dead-connection stalling issue? Rusty battery terminals. Simply replacing many small parts that were all over twenty years old solved the car's reliability issues.

I took it to a couple of local shows, I believe these photos below being from a Japanese Nostalgic show? I was pretty jazzed to get a cool sticker for showing up, a couple of folks told me 'Hey, cool car!', and I had a good time with my buddy Cam (psst, he rebuilt the engine), who was then driving a stripped R32 GTS-T. That was definitely a long time ago.

Continued in part II: Purple!
    Last edited by Convulse; 05-29-2016, 03:08 AM.

PART II: PURPLE

So, not long after basically waiting forever to drive my dream car, I decide to do something a little special and have it repainted. You might not be able to tell to well from the pictures, but the driver's side rear quarter paint was awful, the nastiness continued on the spoiler. I definitely wasn't proud of the shape it was in. I took it in to a local shop, and the journey down the next rabbit hole began.

Immediate consensus: The car was utterly riddled with rust, to the point of structural...uhhh...it didn't have a ton of structure underneath some of those panels. That's putting it lightly. Finding panels and pieces at fair prices proved difficult, and myself, wanting to stick with a budget, watched the job drag on. As things slowly progressed, I spoke to the team doing bodywork and inquired about doing a widebody.

'With this much rust, that'd be almost easier' was their reply, and so I went with that and basically doubled down with the car in the show. Progress...was just slightly above static for a long time, though watching it come together was indeed exciting.

When the paint finally went on, things started moving quickly. The arches were widened 2.5" inches on each side. All metal, not a huge fan of fenders with the exposed rivets on them. The paint is Porsche Viola-Metallic, from the 1993 special edition Jahre 911. With a bit of pearl.

My favorite aspect of the new bodywork are the new lines created where the sideskirt meets the arch of the fenders.

While doing the bodywork, we installed a Fujitsubo exhaust, and prior to dropping it off we had modified the supercharger to use a larger pulley, made by NST. We did a gruntbox conversion as well, which is an ECU modification similar to a simple Megasquirt. This increased boost from 8 lbs to 14lbs or so. We redid the intake system of the stock AW11 SC and built a much more straight forward unit using clean, modern materials. Now, finally, the efforts and machining and parts sourcing done in the engine rebuild has payed off as the car can breath.

[CENTER]

What's next?

Well, spacers imminently. Those have been ordered. Some sticker removal from my fanboy days of yore. I have another suspension put together from 5th Generation Celica racing components. Then it'll be getting the thing generally cleaned up, and going through the engine bay and formulating a plan of attack for that job (seriously, wait for my 'before pics', you'll curse). The sound system can only be described as withered and needs some love. I have a new Supercharged MR2 decal kit waiting in the closet, which I'll do at the same time as I clean up my rear visor. Then, who knows.

Also, better pictures, yek!

Thanks for checking this out and please leave a comment, I'd very much dig that! More things soon!

-Joe
    Last edited by Convulse; 05-29-2016, 10:09 PM.

Comment

All da pics broken!
      -Christian.

'91 318iS AW2/blk slow garage queen/build...
      '02 ///M3 carbonschwartz 6MT daily beast
      '37 Chevy pickup-garagequeen...

Comment

Gosh, I hope that fixes it.

Here are some more, and the most recent pics of the car. I don't daily it thankfully but I try to take it out on the weekends for a few miles.

I'll be heading to my mechanic friend Cam's tomorrow morning to do some maintenance work, will do an oil change, new plugs and filter, as well as tighten down my supercharger belt and check on the condition of the supercharger oil. Will take some pictures of the interior and engine bay condition, and get a bit more into detail on the car when I update with those.

I'll be putting together a a grand checklist and adding it to my first post of overall tasks to complete on the project

I'll be sure to mention all of my further pipedreams for my MR2 as well. For now, good night!
        -Joe

Comment

This thing is cool

Comment

looks cool, cant wait to see more.

Comment

Well, yesterday went more or less okay. The weather was great!

My compadre Cam lives about a half hour drive from me, so after picking up a few supplies we headed to his place and started messing around. Didn't get a lot done, but went over the SC12 supercharger assembly and made sure everything was buttoned down, oil was looking healthy, and the belts weren't mangled or anything crazy.

As you can see, it's not pretty in there. I'm not even really sure where to start with doing
              a clean up, or a wire tuck or...I don't know. I'm hoping to pull off and clean up bits and pieces at a time.

I started going over more of the body and the interior, trying to clean up some of the ancient dust (seriously, it's like a Pharaoh's tomb in there). Made a bit of progress, and formulated some more ideas for where things are headed.

First of all, though, I needed to check progress on Cam's own project:

He's been rebuilding and piecing together this GM LQ4 V8 engine to swap into his vehicle soon.

Third Gen Supra!

Last edited by Convulse; 05-31-2016, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Thanks the for the kind words folks! Means a lot!

So, my afterthoughts on my first two areas of the car to tackle:

'Things to do'

1. Stereo Re-do
                Definitely an exciting job, as I know very little about sound systems, but have a pretty sure idea of how I want it to sound. I'm pretty sure both of my speakers are blown or the wiring is out, left and right, rear left and right speakers I don't believe work either. Things come on and off with speed bumps, that sort of thing.

It came with an amplifier in the frunk and a sub behind the passenger's seat, neither of which had wiring that was fully connnected to anything else, like a power source. Some of that wiring still needs to be torn out. A compact sub will be placed in the passenger's seat footwell, and I'll be replacing the very clashing silver headunit with something more 80's appropriate. Recommendations on sound system stuff would be greatly appreciated!

Plan: Tear out old wiring, piece together new system, find small sub, 80's (Alpine!?) headunit!

2. Interior Clean Up
                I guess I can't complain about the nearly 27 year old interior of my car, considering how dismal the state of the bodywork was. It's sat for so long that it seems like dust has settled into the dash material and doors permanently. It's nice enough and cleans up okay, but it still seems like one of this 'unfixable issues' when I think of making this car truly nice.

Nevertheless, I think a deep clean can still help, and some sections like the center console can likely be repainted or redone fairly economically. I hope? I will be getting a shift boot, however, and a new wheel, though my Momo still feels great despite how it shows its age.

Plan: Deep cleanse, repaint of some surfaces? Shift boot, wheel eventually.

Comment

i love early toyotas, i hope to get started on mine this winter

Comment

My god this thing is so cool. Subbed!
                    My 2011 Toyota Vitz build thread.
                    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=56411

Comment

Working...
                    X