Fill and Drill on Open Wheel Face

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fill and Drill on Open Wheel Face

I scored a (cheap) set of HRE 890R wheels that the previous owner had drilled from 5x120 to 5x130. These are open face, and the shop that did it simply drilled new holes and left most the old holes "open", meaning only the bottom 1" or so of the 3.5" depth bolt hole is filled. This leaves a weird figure-8 shape to the bolt holes. I'd like to keep them 5x130, but fill the old 5x120 holes completely so the holes go back to round. I plan to powdercoat the centers, so the filled holes don't need to match color/texture wise, but they need to be flush enough that I can smooth them with some filler, sand them and powdercoat them.

Contacted one shop, who said it was tricky to try to fill that much, and didn't even want to take them on. Anyone have any other ideas?

the only way to do the work would be to macine 6061 plugs, press them in and tig weld them into the faces. not sure what the back pad looks like but if its not pocketed out, the new pattern could be drilled into the untouched areas almost as if you were dual drilling (but the messed up pattern is being covered over)

Im not a fan of fixing botched jobs like this either, so I'm not sure who would take on the task.. you mind saying how much you paid? not sure its worth the work needed to get these back to normal or not..
    sigpic
    1990 Nissan fairlady Z32 - long term build
    1982 euro porsche 930 turbo

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19185

Comment

Originally posted by 1badg35 View Post
      the only way to do the work would be to macine 6061 plugs, press them in and tig weld them into the faces. not sure what the back pad looks like but if its not pocketed out, the new pattern could be drilled into the untouched areas almost as if you were dual drilling (but the messed up pattern is being covered over)

Im not a fan of fixing botched jobs like this either, so I'm not sure who would take on the task.. you mind saying how much you paid? not sure its worth the work needed to get these back to normal or not..
      I paid $700/shipped for them. I bought them off Ebay for quite a bit more, but the seller never disclosed they were redrilled. Once I got them, I contacted the seller about returning them but he ended up refunding me most of the purchase price. I don't actually need them; I bought them expressly to flip. But you're right, not sure I could get enough for them (since I would absolutely disclose they were filled/drilled) to make it worthwhile.

Comment

You're right on the edge value-wise there.. $250 roughly for a redrill and add shipping, you're at their true worth unless they're crazy specs. Maybe just flip them and make a buck and don't worry about it.

Comment

Doing what Vince proposed would cost well over $250(likely double), and that is before any refinishing work.

Please post a pic of this abomination.
          Last edited by zoo; 05-01-2016, 11:50 PM.

OZ, MSW, ABT, Carlsson, etc 10 point bolt tools info

Comment

Isn't this just a redrill with oversized inserts? What's already been cut for the 5x130 pattern would only get enlarged even more in order to fit the inserts. These cover the 5mm shift:

Sounds like they're perfectly save-able for 5x130. Or, at the least, inserted at the original PCD to get rid of the figure-8 overlap. Am I missing something?

Comment

i think because its already been machined into the "figure 8" which is what it sounds like, steel seats arent an option.. not going to be enough meat to open it up for the seat to properly hold.

again cant confirm without a picture but from the description sounds like a part out to me. if i owned them, i would likely part out the halves to recoup on the 700$ buy in and hardware and put the faces on a wall as some wall art.
              sigpic
              1990 Nissan fairlady Z32 - long term build
              1982 euro porsche 930 turbo

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19185

Comment

With only a 5mm shift in pattern though, the machining for the insert should completely remove both of the current holes. The only potential hang-up I can see is whether or not the lug clearance hole is large enough to fit the insert.

We need pictures...

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys. I actually ended up sending the centers to Dominant Engineering; Dominic said he was going to basically turn the 8's into ovals, and then powdercoat them for me. Instead, he decided to keep my money AND the centers and stop returning emails.

But here are some pics I took before I shipped them out:

Last edited by nobbyv; 05-23-2016, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Last edited by KyleAnderson; 05-24-2016, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X