Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brazilian Omega Caravan

Hi Stance|Works!

I'm Eduardo, and I'm here to share a little of my 1994 GM/Opel Omega Caravan C20NE with you..I found the forum searching in the web for parts and ideas for the car and, after some chats with members I decided to show the car.

Nowadays I'm living in Budapest, but I'm from Blumenau.. It's a little city in the south of Brazil. Chevrolet sold the Omega A as their flagship model from 92 to 98, the caravan being sold only until 96.

We had only petrol versions, in the beginning with the C30NE to the CD and Diamond versions (with MT5 and AT4). These engines were sold until the end of 94. In 95, GM decided to change the C30NE to a modernized version of the classic GM 250 inline six, sold in the previous Opala (something like the brazilian version of the Reckord C (sold from the middle/end of the 60's until 92). The engine was updated by Lotus, with new intake manifold, sequential fuel injection and others. The C20NE was bored to 2.2 with new ECU as well, getting rid of the shitty MAF to a MAP sensor.

Well, enough said about the Omegas in Brazil.. that's my 'van's history:
    It was bough from the 1st owner in Feb. 2008 with 81k km. Mint conditions until august, first year, when mom crashed, drunk mothaf* made a forbidden U-turn and she couldn't avoid.

The car was repared, but after that it suffered some other crashes as well in these 8 years of daily driving (my parents) and abuse (me :P). It has now 155k km, with an engine rebuilt in last january due a burnt cylinder head gasket and also fuckd valve retentors.

My ideas for the car, when I got back home, are to lower it a little, put some 15x8", strip the interior (because weight red. bro!), round the rear arches, and mainly solve the ECU problems with that damn MAF sensor. Probably I'll use some aftermarket ECU like Fueltech (it's getting famous in the US drag scene now, made in Brazil). Later, maybe turbocharge it.

Pictures time (it's being edited)
    Just arrived home, feb 2008! completely original.. mint conditions as I said

With a friend's CD with the 4.1, 2008 yet (1996)

How it was in late 2010 after a paint polish, black painted grill + painted bumpers etc::

Some sightseeing near the family's beach house:

How it's now.. chrome grill + different front bumper (with the fog lights holes):

Some refferences to the project:
    Post your build threads here! Keep us updated on what you're doing in your garage.

Post your build threads here! Keep us updated on what you're doing in your garage.

Hope you enjoy!
    Last edited by eznovelletto; 03-18-2016, 02:56 PM.

I always had a soft spot for these, excited where this is going!
    Looks mint though

Comment

Hell yeah man.

Car looks mint, keep us posted!

(I still need to dig out the info you wanted...)

Comment

Thx guys! By now I don't think I'll have many updates to post since the car is in Brazil with my parents and I'm in Budapest.. but's very good to know that there is such a great comunity to these type of car =)

Comment

Love the chevy version of the Opel Omega.
          Tell uns more.... about all Designs Techs and your style
          [IMG]/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by v8-rekord View Post
            Love the chevy version of the Opel Omega.
            Tell uns more.... about all Designs Techs and your style
            We had basically only the GL, GLS, Diamond and CD versions!
            From 92 until the end of 94:

GL was created in 94. Mostly sold for taxis/corporative, and it's pretty rare nowadays.. I think this version was only available with the C20NE. Everything was optional, for instance, the electric windows. Available in both caravan and limousine versions.

GLS was the most common, being sold with the petrol C20NE. During the C20NE we also had an alcohol version, with 130hp! Usually it was equipped with electric windows, onboard computer, center console and so on. Most common optional was the sunroof. Available in both caravan and limousine versions

Diamond was only sold in 94 I think, with the C30NE and manual transmission. Special interior trimming and the Diamond badges. It also came with sunroof as standard, but without leather seats. Available in both caravan and limousine versions.

CD was, obviously, the top of the range. C30NE with AT4 or MT5. Available in both caravan and limousine versions and with lots of possible optionals, like digital dashboard, cruise control, sunroof and CD player (new stuff in Brazil at the time).

From 95 to 97:

First, it's important to say that from 96 the Caravan was not sold anymore. They killed it in favor of the release of the brazilian Chevy Blazer. That was the beginning of the SUV era in Brazil, sadly.

GL was not available anymore. The 4 bangers got bored out to 2.2 liters and received a new ECU with MAP sensor. Just minor changes in the trim, keeping the standard and optional features from the previous years. Both in Caravan and Limousine were available in petrol and alcohol versions.

The CD was the new stuff. It received a revised version of the old 4.1L engine used in the previous Opala. The cylinder head and intake manifold were revised by Lotus and it has also received sequential fuel injection. This change was made for two reasons: brazilian clients claimed that the german 3 liter engine had low torque, demanding too much gear changes (fucking lazy drivers hahaha) and also because the Omega A was now discontinued in Europe. The CD trim was available for both the Caravan and Limousine with new wheel options (the wheel design was exclusive for Brazil, called powertech). It also received new stereos and different seat covers. Leather was optional, the same for AT, sunroof and so on. The 4.1L was also available to the GLS trim.

98 was the last year. The interior received new stereo, new color for the dashboard lights (a very light green), new steering wheel and new leather color option (grey). Exterior now had new wheels (the same 15x8, five spoke of the Omega B in europe) and the emblems in the back were also revised. No big changes at all.

Comment

Welcome! Pretty clean ride you have with the best engine

Didnt you guys get the 4.1 chevy truck engine aswell?

And please tell me more about the 2.2 with new ecu still the same structure as a C20NE?

The wagon and loads of other crap...
              http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...38#post1291338

Comment

Originally posted by Raka_blakk View Post
                Welcome! Pretty clean ride you have with the best engine

Didnt you guys get the 4.1 chevy truck engine aswell?

And please tell me more about the 2.2 with new ecu still the same structure as a C20NE?
                thx man! yes, the 4.1 is more or less a truck engine but it was used on the car that the omega came to succeed (opala).

the 2.2 is a C20NE with different pistons and longer stroke course..
                Last edited by eznovelletto; 04-24-2016, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Yeah, do you have any Part numbers or is there a online Catalog ?
                  [IMG]/IMG]

Comment

[IMG]/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by v8-rekord View Post
                      instead of 86mm x 86mm in the C20NE the 2.2 is 86x94,5...the part number for the KS pistons is 97290.. im not finding the part number for the crankshaft!

Comment

hello guys!
                        resurrecting my good old post!

last time I wrote I was living in Budapest for my academic exchange year... I'm back to Brazil since the end of august, enjoying my old Emma (I call it this way because in Brazil the Caravans were called Omega Suprema).

unfortunately, none of the plans I had came true... I'm still driving it stock! now in 2017 I'm searching for a job, so I can save money and take my project further...

By now I'd like to share with you guys a video from the last meeting of 2015 from a petrolhead group I'm participant.. Drifting my completely stock C20NE in a go-kart track here in the south of Brazil.

I hope you guys enjoy it!

Cheers and happy 2017!
                        Last edited by eznovelletto; 01-02-2017, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X