My "Away From Home" AE86 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My "Away From Home" AE86 Build

Figured I'd start a new thread for my project instead of cluttering up my Datsun thread.

Halfway across the country working for the next while and had to leave my other toys at home so naturally had to find something to keep me busy, which turned out to be this totally solid 1986 Corolla

It's the base SR5 with a gross auto but not a single spec of rust on it so got it super cheap! Interior is mint too, not even a cracked dash!

Drove it on the highway yesterday to just test things out, looks all good so far!

The 3 speed auto HATES the highway, at 120kph it was reving over 4000rpm

Initial plans were to throw some Rota Kyusha's (Work Meister CR01 knockoffs) on it but they're on a 3 month backorder....while the real deal is available for not that much more so we'll see what happens there haha

Should be ordering coilovers first of next week then it's time to maybe find some overfenders/front fenders so I can fit some wider wheels.

Engine wise since it's the base model it came with a brutal sohc 1600cc thing that is definitely getting swapped out. If you followed my other thread you'll know I picked up a sr20 for next to nothing that I was going to build for my 620 , well it made the 1700km journey with me in the back of my impreza wagon so it's getting thrown in. Too bad purists

All ready for its build. Going forged bottom end, cams, standalone with a gt2871r to give me room to grow in the future.

Super pumped to get this started1
    Instagram @markrogerson
    1971 Datsun 510
    1991 Nissan 240sx

Yes! A fellow Maritimer! Sub'd for sure. Any Nova Scotia show plans for the year? Would love to see some of your work!
    Instagram @mawhfawkin
    97' Golf GL Hoopty Edition ($200)

Comment

Oh man... I absolutely love how these look completely stock. One day I'm gonna get a Levin and be super selfish and never drive it and hang it on my wall :P

Comment

Originally posted by Mawhfawkin- View Post
        Yes! A fellow Maritimer! Sub'd for sure. Any Nova Scotia show plans for the year? Would love to see some of your work!
        Nice to find another kicking around haha. I'm hoping to hit up the Stance East show and the Atlantic Nationals in Moncton again this year but that's really it, living and working in Ontario for the next while so driving 3400+ kms round trip for shows will be limited lol.
        Instagram @markrogerson
        1971 Datsun 510
        1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

Originally posted by nishy View Post
          Oh man... I absolutely love how these look completely stock. One day I'm gonna get a Levin and be super selfish and never drive it and hang it on my wall :P
          Me too! Everyone goes with aftermarket bumpers so to be different think I might leave the body pretty much stock, maybe side skirts to make the wheels fit alittle better
          Instagram @markrogerson
          1971 Datsun 510
          1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

Without reading anything I sub'd as soon as I saw the first picture. Then I read...and saw the talk of SR swapping...aaaaaaaaand I had to change pants. You sir, are a hero and I cannot wait to see this.

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
            I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

Originally posted by 190Evan View Post
              Without reading anything I sub'd as soon as I saw the first picture. Then I read...and saw the talk of SR swapping...aaaaaaaaand I had to change pants. You sir, are a hero and I cannot wait to see this.
              Haha thanks! Seems like people are almost as excited as me to see the work start.

Also narrowed down my wheel choice

Looking at

F: 15x8-10
              R: 15x9-10

With just a roll/pull to fit the rears or could go with origin wide fronts/rear overfenders and go to

F: 15x9-10
              R: 15x9.5-25

Decisions decisions
              Instagram @markrogerson
              1971 Datsun 510
              1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

Well motor plans might be changing, just came across a f20c compete with everything for $2000 minus a transmission. Also helps that a transmission just popped up separately for $600, quite a bit cheaper then buying the whole package and in the long run would actually be cheaper than the SR...These are the decisions that keep me up at night haha
                Instagram @markrogerson
                1971 Datsun 510
                1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

I'll see you at the Stance East show!

In for shenanigans!

(You'll have to take me for a drive, as per StanceWorks) xD
                  Instagram @mawhfawkin

Comment

Originally posted by Mawhfawkin- View Post
                    I'll see you at the Stance East show!

In for shenanigans!

(You'll have to take me for a drive, as per StanceWorks) xD
                    Haha sounds good to me, not sure if I'll have the 86 or the 510 there but you can get a drive in either one. Who knows maybe I'll get one of my friends to drive whatever one I'm not and both will be there lol.

On that note have 109 days until the Atlantic Nationals and 134 till stance east. Would like to have the new motor in but since I'll be doing the work at the base auto club which is only open Monday-Thursday 6pm - 10 pm and Saturdays 9-5 it might be tight!
                    Last edited by CrunkGoat; 03-21-2016, 11:53 AM.
                    Instagram @markrogerson
                    1971 Datsun 510
                    1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

Had some people checking out the car yesterday while I was walking to my impreza, overheard "never mind it's an auto I take back everything I said" before they drove off lol. Guess some people dont realize how easy that can be changed haha.

Also finally ordered my wheels! It'll be around a 3 month wait but super excited for them. Ended up getting the Work Meister CR-01's in 16x9-17 and 16x9-42 with gunmetal centers and polished lips. Going to throw some 225/45s on them (brand to be determined) so it won't be a huge stretch but should give me some pretty good grip.

Also found a set of CBY flares and skirts so was able to get the wider wheels. Super pumped now that things are being ordered! Coilovers, the flares/skirts, lateral bar, and adjustable lower control arms are next on the list!
                      Instagram @markrogerson
                      1971 Datsun 510
                      1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

Haha! that's what happened with my old 190! I could understand that "oh no it's auto" comment for an older car where manuals aren't popular but an old 86, that's a different story. Can wait to see those meisters on here and some work done.

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
                        I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

Well gonna be sticking with the SR20, the f20 I went to look at had no compression in one cylinder lol.

In other news the guys on an ae86 forum I joined are ready to hang me because I plan on cutting my mint fenders to add the flares so I can run the wide wheels and tires I ordered. Might see if any of them local have some to trade but not getting into doing work on rusty parts. The cleaner the panel the easier it is to cut, weld, or just generally work on it.
                          Instagram @markrogerson
                          1971 Datsun 510
                          1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

Originally posted by CrunkGoat View Post
                            In other news the guys on an ae86 forum I joined are ready to hang me because I plan on cutting my mint fenders to add the flares so I can run the wide wheels and tires I ordered. Might see if any of them local have some to trade but not getting into doing work on rusty parts. The cleaner the panel the easier it is to cut, weld, or just generally work on it.
                            That's the best part! Upsetting people is one of my favorite parts of the car scene.

Updates are very promising, keep it up!
                            Instagram @mawhfawkin

Comment

It makes me warm inside to see a LHD AE86 in this sort of condition, in Canada nonetheless. Excited to see where it goes.
                              [CENTER][url=http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66924][color=red]e28 build thread[/color] [/url]
                              [img]http://i.imgur.com/hNTlNvf.jpg?2[/img]
                              Instagram: [url=https://instagram.com/divingboardlord/][color=red]@divingboardlord[/color][/url][/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                              X