No announcement yet.

GTIKole's 90 Corrado build. Back again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTIKole's 90 Corrado build. Back again.

Updated 3-6-2017

1990 Volkswagen Corrado.

Engine
    -OBD1 ABA 2.0 Block.
    -OBD2 Ecu, harness and throttle body.
    -Corrado G60 O2A Transmission
    -Autotech 270 Cam
    -TT Adjustable cam gear.
    -TT heavy duty dual valve springs.
    -TT Ti spring retainers.
    -TT 276 cam chip.
    -TT PVC block off.
    -TT 160 thermostat.
    -TT stainless exhuast.
    -Mk1 radiator with inline filler neck.
    -mk4 intake manifold swap.
    -dual 10" slim fans.
    -Custom 3" intake.
    -Custom extended wiring harness by Matt at Euro Kraft.

Suspension/Brakes
    -Cx Racing Coilovers.
    -Camber Shims (-2.5).
    -Oem Corrado Disc brakes front & rear.
    -Garagistic 90mm Race Stud Conversion.

Wheels.
    Work Equip 03"S
    Front- 15x9 et 22 with 195/45 R15 Toyo T1R's.
    Rear- 15x9 et22 (et17 with 5mm spacer) with 195/45 R15 Toyo T1R's.

Exterior
    -Respray in VW Tornado Red with clear.
    -OEM G60 front lip.
    -OEM Euro ecode headlights.
    -B4 Glass sunroof.

Interior
    -Nardi Classic 300mm wood & polished wheel.
    -Nardi mk2/mk3 Hub adaptor.
    -OEM euro Corrado seat belts.
    -(2x) TF-Works Bucket seats with Silver flake backs.
    -(2x) OMP Low side mounts.
    -(2x) Planeted Corrado seat brackets.
    -Rear seats removed.
    -rear section of car gutted.
    -Heater box removed.

Hello Everyone.
    It's been a bit since I posted on here or gave any updates about what I have been up to so I guess it's catch up time.

In July 2016 I sold my RHD Mk3 Panel Van to Start a new project. I was never really happy with the Panel Van so I figured it was time to let her go. some pictures of it.

Untitled by gtikole gtikole, on Flickr

With the Panel Van gone I started looking for something else to build. One day I was scrolling through Instagram & I saw my Buddy Mark Lewis had posted a picture of this corrado he had done some work to and said it was for sale. Mark had just repainted the whole car so I was really happy to see that but the biggest plus of all...
    I have a OBD1 ABA swap running on OBD2 Management.

I know to must they are like why yould you remove the G60 for a NA ABA but to me that is perfect because I love NA 8v's and ABA's are my favorite.

So I agreed on a price with Mark and a my friend Jasen & I booked a plane ticket to Baltimore. Sadly the flights did not link up as we had hope so Jasen missed the connecting flight in ATL due to his plane being late that we were suppose to meet up at and fly together to Baltimore. So I landed around 6pm and were pick up by my good friends Matt and Andi and picked up Jasen at the airport 6 hours later. Mark meet us at Matt and Andi's house and a few hours of talking and bullshiting I know owned a Corrado.

It was a good base to start with since it already had CX racing Coils which I love on Mk2/3's, Euro ecode headligths, Euro seat belts & some classic Borbets.
    I Already had parts waiting for me In Pa were I was staying for the weekend. Ended picking up a euro 90mm lip for Orchid Euro. I also had a Nardi hub a adaptor sent to my friends hosue so I could install my Nardi Wheel in the car. So I installed all that right when I got to PA.

Myself with the Corrado.
    _DSC0404 by gtikole gtikole, on Flickr

I then spent the weekend with friends & hanging out at VagFair and then made the drive home.

For the next few months I just enjoyed the car and the warm weather. I also picked up a set of drop plates for the rear to help with shock travel and recenter my wheels in the rear arch. I then went to H2Oi with friendsand had a great time.

Then in late October I decided it was time to take the corrado off the road and start work. I went to one last meet in Cinci and ripped it apart the next day.

Last edited by GTIKole.; 03-06-2017, 05:34 AM.

Premiere Autosports /Instagram - Kole_Grove86
    [

My goal when I started taking the car apart was like every other VW kid. Pull the motor, hide all the wires & shave the bay but after some time my goals changed a bit. I want to lean more towards the motorsport side, simplify the engine/ engine bay as possible and kind of add a little touches from some Japanese cars I love.

First things first was ripping the car apart and removing the engine harness. I removed the front end and started labeling all the connectors. I did the same in the fuse box area. I also pulled the dash to make my life a lot easier in this process.

After a good amount of delooming I was able to get the lighting & engine harness out of the car and separated from each other. This is honestly the best way to learn your wiring and see that it is really not as scary as your mind thinks.

At this point I had to start thinking where I want to move connectors and were I wanted to route my harness. I knew from the start I want to run the harnesses from the fender to the front crossmember so nothing was on the frame rails at all. I started cutting and extending wires.

At this point I moved the harness back to the car. I made an access hole the rain tray and side of the inner fender to get the harness to the fuse panel from the arch area. I thought in my head that is all I would have to extend wire wise..
    NOT THE CASE AT ALL.
    once I got the harness in it was clear that all most all the connectors had to be extended.

So I started cutting and extending for days...

Harness all extended. Tested it to make sure everything still fired properly and ran correct. No issues at all.

I also knew the Borbets had to go. They just did not fit the car or my style at all. I always loved the look of smaller wheels on older model vw's and early Japanese cars, I sold the borbets to my buddy Kolben for his mk3 which look great on his car. Now I knew I want something simple and clean as well as monoblocks. I looked around and then one day saw this picture.

I always loved the Fat Lace designed F Zero wheels since they came out. I decide why not try something different so I went for it.
    AME/FATLace F-Zero2's
    15x8.5 et25
    15x9.5 et 25

I then picked up a set Toyo T1R's in 195/45 R15 for the wheels. They are one of my favorite tires look and performance wise.
    I went to try to mount them and basically started a world war in the shop against the rears. The fronts seated fine with the help of the cheetah but the rears were not about it. Due the barrel design of the wheel it basically made it impossible to mount a smaller width tire due to the double drop center barrel design. I tried so many methods and nothing worked after 4 days of trying. I basically said it was not worthy that much trouble. I sold the two 9.5's so I could buy two more 8.5's and got the tires mounted on them the day after I got them in the mail.

I Also decided the inside of the car needed some changes so I pulled all the interior out of the back and removed the front seat.

I then made an order from the Guys at TF Works. Their in house seats and omp side mounts with planets brackets.

Last edited by GTIKole.; 03-04-2016, 09:35 PM.

[

Comment

Now it was time for engine work..

On a trip to NY I stopped by a friends shop and picked up a ton of parts I had him collect for the car.

-Autotech 270 cam.
      -TT Adjustable cam gear.
      -TT heavy duty dual valve springs.
      -TT Ti spring retainers.
      -TT 276 cam chip.
      -TT PVC block off
      -TT 160 thermostat
      -new em hydro lifters
      -oem water pump housing.
      -oem water pump with metal blades.
      -oem thermostat housing.
      -oem head gasket kit.
      -timing belt.
      -upper coolant flange.
      -oem mk1 diesel metal radiator with filler neck.
      -new radiator hoses.
      -oem mk4 intake swap from a 2004 car.

by gtikole gtikole, on Flickr

Since I had all the part I figured I should get the head taken apart.

I then sent the head off to the machine shop so they could clean the head up and get the new valve springs and retainers in since I do not have a over head spring compressor. in the down time I painted a good amount of the engine parts.

I got head back from the machine shop and looked brand new. I got it home and reinstalled everything and trying to fire it. I seemed super off like it had no compression or anything. Well that because it could not build compression. TT by mistake sent me 8mm retainers instead of 7mm which may not sound like anything but it was enough that it let the valve hang lower than normal and not seal up at all. So I pulled everything off again and took the head back to the shop. TT sent me new retainers and the shop swapped them for free since they missed it the first time. I was just happy to find the issue I was having.

I then started to reassemble the car and change all gasket I could reach. I also relocated the battery and finished up the wiring of the car.

I then relocated the battery to the rear passenger seat, finished up the wiring, put the cooling system in and make my own intake out of a 3" pipe a friend had at his shop and couplers from a local tuning shop.

I woke on a Saturday with a goal to make it to a local meet that night so I pushed the car outside and got things done. I went to start the car and there was weird idle and it seemed off. The MAF went bad. So I ran to the junkyard and picked one up.

I drove the car for 15 mins close to my home to see how it ran. Seemed a bit off but maybe it just need to be driven. I get it back to house to check everything and lock up the house when the car just died. It would not start up at all now. I checked a few things and found I had no spark coming from the coil at all. I checked the coil with a multimeter and it was good. So I picked up a new crank and knock sensors. Still no go. 4 days into this and I figured it was time to test for continuity between the wires so I could see if it was wiring or the ecu. about 15 minutes into checking, I go the signal wire for the coil. Checked continuity and it showed there was a break in the system. cut the loom by the connector sober 5" down and found the break about 3" down from the connector. 10 mins later the wire was fixed and reloomed. car fired right up. at this point I was so happy my car was running again.

That gets us caught up to the present day. A lot is still to come for the guy.
      Last edited by GTIKole.; 03-04-2016, 11:39 PM.

[

Comment

I know whats been going on but cant wait to watch this.
        Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

i drove a red g60 for a while, still miss it

seeing your former builds, i'm subbed to this one
          Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

I was very confused when I saw you at H20 with Alex and Garrett, 'cause I didn't realize that you'd sold the panel van.
            Ol Dirty Bastard - RIP

Photo by Alex Dooley
            2016 Ducati Scrambler, 2015 Subaru Impreza

Comment

love the car, makes me miss mine. but i don't like the wheels.
              Facebook Sander Zuurbier
              Instagram sanderz28

Twingo RS

Comment

I love Corrado's can't wait to see the progress

@fackinsteve ; fackin build thread :
                http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ill-build-E36s

Comment

Small updated. I drove the car for most of the day today as shake down. only problem it gave me was running out of gas since the gas gauge does not currently work. Also did a little work at the shop after work. The exhaust was loose by the muffler and it kept rotating down which meant I hit it on everything. So that had to be fixed. Also just cleaned up the bay a bit as well.

Also worked on the daily a bit this week as well. It was much needed for sure.

Last edited by GTIKole.; 03-05-2016, 07:25 AM.

[

Comment

Sorry if you guys checked the thread and it was only 1/3 or 2/3's written out. I felt like I was writing a paper for school. Forgot that it is a lot easier to type as you go than to type the whole story of 5 months of work.

I'm hoping to get a little more work done today and get my radio working again.

[

Comment

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
                      I know whats been going on but cant wait to watch this.
                      I finally sat down and wrote the whole story last night. I got side tracked driving it everywhere yesterday.

Originally posted by P78 View Post
                      i drove a red g60 for a while, still miss it

seeing your former builds, i'm subbed to this one
                      Thanks man. This is one of my favorite car I have every owned. It is just so much fun to drive.

Originally posted by theseeker411 View Post
                      I was very confused when I saw you at H20 with Alex and Garrett, 'cause I didn't realize that you'd sold the panel van.
                      Hahaha Yeah I kept that kind of on the low, had so many telling me to not get rid of it but I'm so much happier with the corrado. Hopeful get to see you soon!

Originally posted by SanderZ View Post
                      love the car, makes me miss mine. but i don't like the wheels.
                      Well we think a like then. I wanted to sell the wheels the day I picked up the car. glad they went to good home and allowed me to buy the current set up.

Originally posted by fackinsteve View Post
                      I love Corrado's can't wait to see the progress
                      Thanks man! there such be a lot more over this spring and summer.

[

Comment

Corrado looks good! I remember seeing your panel van at WBTB last year.

Panel Golf by Jared H, on Flickr

It's a work in progress^
                        Instagram: @jared_hin

The Snaab: Saab 9-5 Build Thread
                        Battle Stanced '67 Mercury Cougar

Comment

Really nice, enjoying what I am seeing so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Originally posted by s t a y g o l d
                          and don't trash talk people, that's for hos at the club.
                          S4 Avant - Build Thread

Comment

Car looks great man, saw you driving down the strip in OC and recognized the vanity plate, I wondered if the golf was no more... Guess this answers that!
                            My Build:

Comment

Awesome progress Dude! The Car looks great!

Comment

Working...
                              X