Hellrot Compact - 95 318ti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellrot Compact - 95 318ti

E36's in PA can be a hit or miss. Typical Craigslist ads are written terribly and the cars themselves usually aren't worth the asking price. I'm not new to e36s at all. I've had somewhere in the 40+ range in the last 5 years.

After selling my project e39 540i6, I needed something to drive back and forth to work again. I stumbled upon a 95 318ti on Craigslist and decided it was worth my while. It took a few days to get in touch with the seller and get everything set up, but finally agreed to a time to come check the car out.

I typically trailer anything I buy, regardless if it needs to be or not. Since the ti was only an hour from me, I decided against trailering it. I arrived, took it on a quick drive and paid their asking price.

The details of the car are as follows:

1995 BMW 318ti
    1-owner with documented maintenance record since new
    Hellrot paint with the exterior being a 9/10
    Slicktop
    Manual
    8/10 interior

The previous owners took excellent care of the car including keeping in the garage for most of its life. I'm typically not a fan of stickers on paint, but this one on the hatch I'm completely okay with. I'm hoping I can successfully transplant it next to the license place without damaging it.

Untitled

Hellrot ti

Hellrot ti

Untitled

The first thing to go was the US front license plate trim. I removed it and installed a Euro trim piece along with a UK plate I picked up from Orchid Euros.

Hellrot ti

Hellrot ti

I hadn't planned to do much to the car but clean it up, do some general maintenance and drive it. I picked up a pair of Hellrot sideskirts and started gathering some general maintenance items (oil, filter, valve cover gasket, etc).

Then a set ACS Type 2's popped up for sale locally at a price I couldn't refuse.
    After buying these, I decided to make the car as close to 100% as I could get it.

Hellrot ti

ACS Type 2's
    17x8 et38 215/45r17

Since the Type 2's weren't going to have an aggressive fitment, I decided against throwing the Racelands I had laying around on the car. I ended up trading the Racelands for H&R struts, H&R Sport Springs, and Bilstein rear shocks.

Hellrot ti

I swapped the suspension, tossed the wheels on and went for a drive.

Hellrot ti

Hellrot ti

Hellrot ti

Hellrot ti

Hellrot ti

The wheels needed balanced badly and 2 of the tires needed replaced so I swapped the steelies back on and put on the sideskirts.

Hellrot ti

I ended up buying a set of Breyton Inspirations (17x8.5/9.5) to rob 2 tires from and then later use on my 325i.

Hellrot ti

Driving the car for a few days I noticed a few things:

The headliner needs redone
    The clock spring squeaks and is terribly annoying
    The top hats on the struts I swapped on need replaced

Mechanically the car only has a few items that need addressed:

Oil leak from the valve cover and OFH (ive ordered gaskets/O-rings to fix)
    Slight clunk in the rear when up/down shifting (after checking it out, I found the only thing it could be is the diff bushing)
    Muffler is rusted out on the back and needs replaced

To address the above items, I started ordering/buying some parts:

Valve Cover Gasket
    Oil Cap
    Spark Plugs
    OFH Gasket
    OFH O-ring
    Coolant Temp Sensor
    Powerflex diff bushing
    Diff Cover Gasket

I picked up a 4-spoke M3 steering wheel and a Remus catback to replace the rusty muffler.

As of now I am waiting on some misc. parts to come into the dealer and then I'm ready to dive back into this thing.
    Last edited by hagrde36; 03-03-2016, 12:50 AM.

photos aren't here man
    Passion Garage

http://www.voomeran.jp

Comment

Pictures added !

Comment

All of the remaining parts I need should be in by Wednesday so I started working on the diff cover. I had picked up another cover so I could prep it and have it ready to go. I cleaned it up, painted it black, and installed a Powerflex diff bushing.

Hellrot ti

Comment

Hey another compact owner! Great start, looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Comment

I've a compact i'm doing up too, no thread for it though... Also, should mention, yellow number plates are for the rear of cars over here, white up front.

Otherwise, thing looks awesome
            I am a party pooper. I poop at parties.

Comment

Copy:All of the remaining parts I need should be in by Wednesday so I started working on the diff cover.

Comment

bwwaaaa - Thanks ! Looking forward to what you do with yours as well.

dutch - Thanks for that bit of info on the plates, I had no idea ! Although it may be intended for the rear, I like the way the yellow plate looks in the front compared to a white one. I have another yellow plate that will go on the rear of my e28 though !

Comment

A small update. The remaining few things I was waiting on arrived.

Untitled

I pulled the car in my garage last night to start on the diff cover and muffler swap. I pulled the stock muffler and drained the diff. I went inside to watch a tv show with my wife and ended up falling asleep...

Untitled

Tonight I plan to finish swapping the diff cover and installing the Remus muffler.

On a different note, I've gotten a co-worker very interested in picking up an e24. He picked up this months BMW Car magazine with an excellent article on e24's focusing primarily on 635csi's.

While flipping through I caught of glimpse of CATuned's Bavaria.

Untitled

Comment

I finished up the diff cover swap and filled the diff back up with Royal Purple 75w-90.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

I knew the car had an lsd, but I wasn't sure on the ratio. I cleaned up the tag and found it to be a 3.45 lsd.

Untitled

I got the Remus muffler put on the car as well.

Untitled

I swapped in the 4 spoke M3 steering wheel. The clock spring no longer makes any noise, but due to different connectors, I'm currently without a horn. Ill have to figure that out later down the road.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

I took the car for a quick drive. The rear end clunk is no longer present and the Remus sounds much better than I anticipated. Tomorrow evening I'll be diving into fixing the oil leaks coming from the Oil Filter Housing.

Untitled

Comment

It's all good! I love these resto-mod builds! Is your boot/trunk lid a standard US item? As if it is then i'll maybe just have to look into shortening my numberplate recess for a US style plate... Odd to think, over with you guys the UK/Euro style things are a big hit where over here everyone goes crazy over US spec parts! Keep it going strong!
                      I am a party pooper. I poop at parties.

Comment

Thanks Dutch !

The hatch is a standard US item over here.

Comment

Love a good compact. Here is mine a few weeks back.

lots changed since then though!

Comment

Working...
                          X