Static E28 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Static E28 build

Some of you may have seen my S10 floating around the forum, and now I would like to introduce my latest project. A 1986 BMW 535i. I'm going to try to make this a very detailed thead so bare with me here. But for starters heres a picture of my S10:

I learned a lot from that build but I was truly never satisfied with it, while I had plans of improving it to my satisfaction, I came across my E28 for a price to good to pass up.

A brief backstory behind the car starts as one day my friend informed me about a set of style 5's for sale but said that the guy (a coworker of his, and now of mine) was also selling his E28. Now I was in no position to grab another car for the heck of it but I ended up going down that night to take a look at the car. We showed up and I didnt know what to expect at first to be honest. The car appeared to have sat for a decent amount of time, it was covered in dirt, the hood was primered, and it looked really tired. But I proceeded to inspect the car, inside and out and check for rust and the norm. As im looking up and down this thing its becoming apparent that this car has no rust. I mean none. Now, if you're from New England or any other state or region that gets snow you fully understand that when youre going to look at something youre expecting to find some rust. Im telling you there was none. One spot on the strut tower but other than that I just couldnt believe it. So I handed him some cash and he handed me a title and then suddenly I owned an E28.

Once I finally got my car to my work I wanted to give it a general inspection, look under the car, check the components, etc. Now I knew going into this the car needed some work. The interior was almost completely ripped apart, no front seats, and the dash had some cracks. The engine needed a general clean up and tune up as well but ran just fine, and the suspension was all there but just, old looking really. So I set out for a plan. Something I have always really wanted to do, build a car from the ground up essentially. I knew from the second I saw it I wanted to go all out so this will be my online journal of progress and learning this car and testing my abilities. Anyhow, here are some pictures of the initial inspection and cleaning.

One thing I was not expecting was the amount of parts this car came with! I wasn't prepared with how many parts the p/o gave me. Nonetheless I was pumped! Just a general overview of what it came with outweighed how much I paid for the car itself. I took the time to take some of the bigger things home and reorganize them in the car as I had no real place for them at my house quite yet. Once the car was dried off I jacked it up and took a look over everything and got a good view of underneath the car.

Not too bad! Just a little dirty, once the suspension is pulled out of it i will be giving it a fresh undercoat to seal in the original undercoat which has held up remarkably. A few things to note here is the leaky diff, and the scale that has accumulated on the trailing arms and such. Also two mufflers lol. The front suspension was about one in the same, rusty and old looking. No pics of that though.

As time went on, planning the future layout of the car I began the parts search. It wasn't too far after I came across a set of front and rear seats with door cards about an hour away in Connecticut. I hopped in my daily and drove down, ended up showing up at some sketchy dungeon looking place with one guy and an E21 stuffed in a corner. As I loaded the interior into my truck the sound of obscure 80's dance music overwhelmed me. I needed to get the fcuk out of there. Despite the high levels of sketch I definitely got a great deal on the interior.

Not the original color but the bolsters are all well, I plan to simply recover these in the original black. There not sport seats but hey, I don't really care .Back to the random parts search! I had been spending a lot of time searching about different coilover systems that the aftermarket offered. I was mostly interested in a true coilover and not a hybrid or piece it together style system. This sort of gave me less options but I ended up coming across someone parting out their E28 who had a set of BC Racing Extreme Lows on his car. After talking to him for a bit we set a time and we met up. Ended up grabbing the coils and a 3.73 LSD out of a 325is ready to go into an E28.

Having the coils already welded onto the strut tubes saves me a bit of effort which is nice. I plan on cleaning them up and coating them, also replacing the wheel hub/bearings. I hope to run these until next year or so and then possibly replace them with some Broadway Static coils but we'll see how these do.

With all of that out of the way this brings me to todays progress. After switching jobs and a few other falling outs I had the car towed to my house from my old work.

I was totally pumped to be bringing this home to actually have an opportunity to start putting in some work. My first real order of business was to go through each and every part I had for the car, write down part #'s, and figure out if it will actually work on my car. There was a lot of stuff so this actually took me a little while but I found some pretty good stuff hiding in my trunk. This is just a smidge of what was in there

Notable things seen here are 540i brake upgrade, new water pump, thermostat, misc sensors, control arms, sway bar links, accessory belts, radiator hoses, and more. Also seen here is my eye sore of a hood and US front end. I neatly reorganized this mess of a parts pile and threw it on my old cart.

Now with less junk in my trunk I can focus on my search for rust of any sort. I have a decent leak going into my trunk floor so I tried finding out where that was coming from too. I took out all the carpeting, spare TRX wheel, and the rest of the actual interior. Pleasantly surprised to find nothing worth noting, going to give it a good vacuum tomorrow and finish cleaning it up.

Pictures make it look like ass but seriously its nice in here. The only rust you see trickled down from the brake rotors that were hiding in my trunk. Im going to clean in here very well tomorrow and possibly put the carpeting back in. Not sure if I want to dye it in here yet. Moving to the interior its admittedly a disaster in here. The p/o threw away the front seats but somehow removed the passenger seat without taking out the seat rail. Im going to attempt to get the rail out tomorrow and remove the carpet so I can scrub down the floorboard and make sure everything is good and clean. I also plan on dying the carpet aswell as some other pieces. The reason the dash is taken apart was because the p/o was replacing the blower motor. I don't plan on running any HVAC in this car so I'm going to remove it all inside, fix the messy wiring, and start putting the interior back together.

God its a mess in here. You can see where the dash is cracked, until I can find a crack free replacement, I'm probably going to run a dash mat to cover it up because I'm cool like that. Essentially I want a clean interior that is OEM looking but refined. I wanted to swap the interior to cardinal red but black interiors in the 80's were a lot less common than today and I feel its something that can be appreciated. One thing I forgot to show was the glass sunroof I have for it from a SAAB 9000. Truly an OEM+ im going for here. Finally for shits and gigs I threw up a set of Momo Extreme wheels I have up next to it (yes thats tape holding them upright)

I plan on refinishing these back to its original finish while I build my Epsilons seen here.

I'll leave you with that, not too fancy now but what I have planned for these will be the icing on the cake once its all said and done. Anyhow, if you've managed to read this far congrats! If you just looked at all the pics and said, "wow what a shitbox" I probably would've said the same. Hopefully more updates tomorrow

@fackinsteve ; fackin build thread :
    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ill-build-E36s

schweet.. im busy with one as well... currently being painted...

Comment

So glad you finally have a build thread for this thing!
      [CENTER][url=http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66924][color=red]e28 build thread[/color] [/url]
      [img]http://i.imgur.com/hNTlNvf.jpg?2[/img]
      Instagram: [url=https://instagram.com/divingboardlord/][color=red]@divingboardlord[/color][/url][/CENTER]

Comment

I think this is going to be great, keep it up!

Comment

good job steve, glad to see you're sticking with her and making progress

Comment

Originally posted by b5Avant View Post
            schweet.. im busy with one as well... currently being painted...
            Have any pics? Or a thread? I'd love to see it
            Originally posted by Robitussin View Post
            So glad you finally have a build thread for this thing!
            I'm glad to be making progress on this thing!
            Originally posted by Gamerx View Post
            I think this is going to be great, keep it up!
            Thank you man! I have a good feeling about it myself
            Originally posted by CBREEZ View Post
            good job steve, glad to see you're sticking with her and making progress
            Appreciate it dude, I still have been keeping my eyes peeled on an E28 for you since I was so undeceive about keeping this at first. Post your progress on the M3!

Finished up tearing out the carpet and spent some time cleaning, diagnosing, and taking some notes. To get the the carpet out without cutting it I had to remove the whole lower dash and console and disconnect the gas pedal from its linkage. Pretty simple but worth stating. From there I pulled out with ease.

The carpet itself is actually in great shape, im simply going to shampoo it and dye it. Theres no tears are deep stains which is honestly surprising for its age. Moving on, it was time to scrub down and vacuum out the rest of the floorboard for damage assessment. I used concentrated Purple Power and a brush for this part. Once it was wiped down and dried it was time to take a good look at everything.

Pictures make it look bad but 90% of it grime that didnt totally wipe off. On the right you can see it starting to rust on the seam a little bit.

Again all surface rust that will be easily removed. And this is where it gets fun!

Now this is going to take a little bit of finesse with an angle grinder to take care of completely. All in all though, its really not so bad. It passed the screwdriver test, and is still structurally solid. I also found a little bit of wire damage on the drivers seat harness where it corroded it and split.

Its an old car, shit happens. A few minutes with a soldering iron will take care of that no problem. Moving onto the back of the car I took some time to remove the seat and parcel shelf. Im going to use the parcel shelf to practice wrapping fabric and such in preparation of the headliner. This is seriously my first interior project and despite the car needing other things, I do need seats and I'm not going to use tan seats in my black interior car. And I'm now suffering from the "while I'm here" kick. Anyhow,

For fixing the rust, I'm going to use the old dry ice on the sound deadening trick and hammer and chisel that bullshit out of there. Then going to use an angle grinder to take down all the built up corrosion and then use some direct to metal ecoat over it; seam sealer where needed. Once that is all set some rubberized undercoat will do the trick to seal it all in. Same goes for in the trunk. Once all that is cured I'm going to get some fresh sound deadening in there and dye the carpet. Then interior reassembly will begin! For now I'm going to order some supplies but thats pretty much it for now

Comment

Well I'll start by saying that progress this weekend was a lot less than I had hoped it would. I started by going to Lowes and picking up an angle grinder and some supplies to begin the rust removal process. I didn't pick up any dry ice I just used a rubber mallet and a screwdriver (worked fine on the drivers side) and started chipping away at it. Im glad I did this because I noticed a lot of moisture beneath the sound deadening. Then came the best part

Fuck. This is a pretty minor setback but it really slowed things down a lot. I was hoping to have undercoated and dynamatted my floors this weekend. Now I'm picking up some sheetmetal and going to form my patch and have my friend come weld it in for me (dont have a welder). I then moved over to the passenger side where it was a bit more difficult to knock loose. I didnt quite finish and i will be picking up some dry ice to wrap it up and get it over with. Also it looks a lot worse in pictures but nonetheless.

I'm still surprised about the hole, it was actually a decently hack fix for it, it was aluminum glued in and then undercoated. The glue was actually a water and corrosion proof glue so realistically I could've left it be but I want to do this once, and do this right. Now with most of my plans for progress for the weekend ruined I decided to pull the rest of my dash out. Pretty simple honestly, knowing I'm not using HVAC made dash removal easier mainly because I didn't care about any of the ducting that runs through the dash. All I really had to do was remove the steering wheel, the a-pillars, and the glove box.

And heres the old dash

And heres its replacement that will be here sometime tomorrow

Not perfect but definitely a much better dash than what I had in it. Weather providing I think I will begin the dying process on my interior next weekend. The plan is essentially an all black interior, almost M5 spec of sort. I still want a few red accents here and there but I really want it be mainly OEM. Whenever my tax returns come in I will be ordering some seat covers and begin the upholstery on them. I've never messed with interior stuff before so this will be a bit of a learning curve but I'm confident it will turn out nicely. I also decided to throw on my Momo's for shits and gigs

Fat boy stance lol. Measured up what I need for stantz and will be getting my hands on some spacers soon, and once I start tearing into the suspension and brakes is when I'll be I'll refinish these. The tires are a bit small but I'll try to make them work. These are for sale btw

And I looked at my truck for about 3 seconds too

Still need to throw a trans in it and do some maintenance and wheel refinishing and it too will be for sale! And last and most importantly

STANCE | WORKS BRO

Thats it for now

Comment

Haha the feeling of "I just bought a rust free car" and then you figure out that it was just hidden by the undercoating. I know that feel.

Also the pic with the momos on makes me wanna throw some sandbags in my trunk so i can tuck rim and have that mad reverse rake all the BMW guys are talking about.
                [CENTER][url=http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66924][color=red]e28 build thread[/color] [/url]
                Instagram: [url=https://instagram.com/divingboardlord/][color=red]@divingboardlord[/color][/url][/CENTER]

Comment

Haha the feeling of "I just bought a rust free car" and then you figure out that it was just hidden by the undercoating. I know that feel.

Also the pic with the momos on makes me wanna throw some sandbags in my trunk so i can tuck rim and have that mad reverse rake all the BMW guys are talking about.
                  How about instead of sandbags just use coilovers

Comment

Originally posted by fackinsteve View Post
                    How about instead of sandbags just use coilovers
                    You see, I would but I spent all my money on gaskets and hoses instead of shocks and strut inserts.

Comment

You see, I would but I spent all my money on gaskets and hoses instead of shocks and strut inserts.
                      You'll get it done eventually

Comment

Dash showed up, also bought some Cardinal door cards today which hopefully will be here this week

Also thinking about ditching the Momo's, but I want something to roll on while the Epsilons are built

Comment

So not much of an update but just something worth sharing. Started to cut into the floor a little bit to prep for the patch panel that will be welded in next weekend. Picked up an angle grinder and some cutting and grinding disks and started going to work. I noticed the rust spread a little so I had to cut more than I originally intended to. Also I kind of have a small dilemma to take care of.

Kind of frustrating but I want to take care of it while I'm here. I **** doing things twice here so while these updates are boring, they are important to the car in the long run. Hopefully all goes well next weekend and I can finish the floorboards and get it all painted. My door cards also came in

Need a bit of cleaning but I think that the red and black theme will be a nice subtle touch to the car. And most importantly I picked these up yesterday

BBS RF010. They're 17x8.5/9.5" and recently refinished. Tires are brand new as well too! Im super pumped about them. The face color isnt ideal but I will be building these with a different color and 1" bigger lips. But for what I paid, I cannot complain. My friend Mike was kind enough the photoshop how it will look once I install my BC coils.

Also my Epsilons will be for sale soon for those who might be interested. Thats all for now, more updates next weekend

Comment

As a member of the "colored RFs on old BMWs" gang, I fully support this.
                            Ol Dirty Bastard - RIP

Photo by Alex Dooley
                            2016 Ducati Scrambler, 2015 Subaru Impreza

Comment

Their color isn't that bad.., imo it goes well with the black abd the redish interior.

Comment

Working...
                              X