Volvo 850 Turbo OEM+ build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volvo 850 Turbo OEM+ build

Hello S/W, I'm here to create yet another build thread. This one actually looks good.

Around Aug 2015, my beater Odyssey's tranny blew up. I had a little money saved and was planning on going out and getting a manual Volvo 240 but ended up with this

A 94 850 Turbo automatic w/ 165k and tons of issues. Driver's seat was stuck in full recline, radiator would boil over after driving for 30 minutes, hole in gas tank, missing turn signal, and terrible paint. The first day I got it, I swiss cheesed the airbox and pulled the cable that moved the seat so I could put in a drill and spin in till it was where I wanted. I drove it for a few months like that and was convinced I had a bad head gasket and was just going to sell the thing. I was putting 2 gallons of water in a day.

Around early November, I went to my mechanic buddy's house to change the oil and have him take a look at the cooling system. When we drained the oil, black as hell. We pulled the coolant reservoir off and noticed it was covered in cracks and the feed lines had holes. Put in new coolant tank and lines from the junkyard and no more leaks. About a week later, she pissed all over the driveway. When I put water in, instantly drained out the radiator. Put a new radiator in and all cooling problems ceased. That was the moment I fell in love with the car and decided to really put some time and money into it.

At first I was thinking about only focusing on the engine and building a sleeper, but then I started transitioning into the OEM+ style. I've slowly been updating/upgrading any and all parts to the newest version.

First, my stock electronic boost control died

Can't run that without this

Debadged the trunk

Added S40 side blinkers. Volvo kept the same hole from the 80s up until the newer bodies. Just have to pop off side emblem.

Brother picked up a new grille for me for Christmas. Planning on painting the outer portion red.

Picked up a set of later model tails

Found an OEM roof rack on CL

And then things got good, quick.

Picked up an 850R bumper at a local junkyard w/ fogs for $50

Painted red w/ plastidip

Installed (fog lights are still waiting on install). Had a crack in it, so I paracord laced it.

Tossed an ammo crate on the rack for no reason and this is as of today.

Where are the lows? Why are the wheels stock? Why are you posting it here?

Well, last night I picked these up. 18x8 Pegasus S60R wheels.

I have a set of coilovers for the car that I'm waiting on a buddy to help me install. Also, I need tires. I'm fairly sure I'm going for 215/40/18 but would love input. Once wheels are mounted, I will start looking at spacers and converting to lug studs instead of bolts. As far as paint, I'm very undecided. I'm between keeping red and touching up and doing wheels in bronze or dipping the whole car dark gunmetal and gloss blacking the wheels. Again, input would be amazing.

Future plans:
    Lower, paint, S70 door handles, exhaust, misc interior from newer models, brakes
    Last edited by JDM Babaganoosh; 01-25-2016, 08:03 PM.

Looks like your off to a good start. If you havent done it yet make sure you change the pcv, and check the heatercore. What brakes do you plan on going with? As far as spacers motorsport tech is a good place to start.
    sigpic1998 Volvo s70 na auto
    kinda low, kinda loud, really slow. check it.
    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=35112

Comment

Originally posted by dharker View Post
      Looks like your off to a good start. If you havent done it yet make sure you change the pcv, and check the heatercore. What brakes do you plan on going with? As far as spacers motorsport tech is a good place to start.
      Pcv is good as is flame trap. Heater core is fine too. I've done stage 0 but didn't mention it. For brakes, doing the 302mm swap but still researching a S60R swap if possible.

Comment

Oh look, you're doing the Volvospeed Starter Pack.

Tints and HID's forthcoming?

Also, cut and polish that paint. 601 red is single stage so it'll come back.

"Everything has potential."

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post

This.

Put some elbow grease into it
          Last edited by loekaaz; 01-27-2016, 08:48 AM.
          Lucas
          Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
          Originally posted by LCG
          High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
            Oh look, you're doing the Volvospeed Starter Pack.

Tints and HID's forthcoming?

No tint and possible projectors, buddy works for TRS.

Can you recommend a process or product? I've heard a few times now that 601 is single stage and can be brought back, but no clear answers as to what process will work best.

Comment

Rubbing compound and a buffer.

"Everything has potential."

Comment

I dont know much about professional compounds but ive gotten some good results with meguires ultimate compound and their maroon buffing pad.
                sigpic1998 Volvo s70 na auto
                kinda low, kinda loud, really slow. check it.
                http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=35112

Comment

How did u take off the side emblems on the fenders? They seem to have a glue on them that makes em stick real good to the fender besides the clip that clicks em on. I have to do this also but i dont really feel like bringing the inner fender out to pop em out from the inside or use something to pry them off from the outside and risk scratching my beautiful blue paint on my s70. Thanks for any input or advice!
                  "Dont let the opinions of the average man sway you.
                  Dream, and he thinks your crazy.
                  Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky.
                  Aquire wealth, and he thinks your greedy.
                  Pay no attention. He simply does'nt understand"

Comment

Originally posted by willie@stance View Post
                    How did u take off the side emblems on the fenders? They seem to have a glue on them that makes em stick real good to the fender besides the clip that clicks em on. I have to do this also but i dont really feel like bringing the inner fender out to pop em out from the inside or use something to pry them off from the outside and risk scratching my beautiful blue paint on my s70. Thanks for any input or advice!
                    dental floss and goof-off

Comment

Got my pegasus wheels on. Spacers are sitting in the mailbox and coilovers go on next week.

Comment

Looks good, love the wheels!

If you plastidipped the rubstrips black as they're kinda faded and gave the paint a good clay, polish, and wax I think it might look even better and it wouldn't cost much either. Just a suggestion, can't wait to see more!

"Emmaline" B8.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro 6MT Build Thread
                        "Ophelia" MK7.5 Volkswagen GTI SE Performance 6MT Build Thread

MKIV Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0 5MT Coming Soon to a Forum Near You

RIP "Effy" E60 BMW 530xi 6MT [N52] Build Thread
                        SOLD"Adéline"B5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT Build Thread

Comment

Installed 20mm spacers in the rear

Finally got off my ass and started cleaning up the paint. Only got the hood today, but now I'm very motivated after seeing results.

Comment

Cleaning up that paint is gonna make a world of difference! Hard to believe what lies under some shitty paint surfaces sometimes!
                            My Build Thread - Alfa 75 3lt

Comment

This car is really cleaning up nicely.

Comment

Working...
                              X