Wide body, 3 piece rpf1's Mk4 Golf build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wide body, 3 piece rpf1's Mk4 Golf build

So new here but been around just looking for a while. Car is a 03' mk4 GTI which I BT'd a couple years back. I did the standard stuff like coilovers, wheels, skirts/lips etc and put a stereo in the back. I was proud of the car and I thought it looked pretty good! Now after having it off the road for a couple of years and just getting my own place with a big shop I've been able to really take my time and do exactly what I want to the car since it's not my daily. I'll skip through this quick because pictures say more then words and you'll see where I'm headed.
    Made up post to split Rpf1's. I wanted 3 piece wheels but didn't want to drop the cash so I though I'd save money by making my own. (lol was I ever wrong)

Drilled the wheels for 40 hole step lips (17to18") and split them on the lathe:

There's lots of material on the face left where the lips/barrels meet in case anyone asks. I left a bit of a RAD
    Obviously needed to run big brakes so I had to make adaptors for these 4 pot brembos that I got for cheap:

I bought some plain R32 rotors which I drilled and slotted to add visual excitement:
    Holes are between veins:
    Checking for clearance between wheel face and brake is about 3mm'ish

The wheels took forever because the powder guy was just starting up and he was waiting on licenses while there were also delays getting the lips/barrels. The end result was worth it. I also made custom center caps with my logo JB MaF (jay bos machining and fabrication) to accent the wheel. The caps were polished then clear powdered to retain finish. Pics of wheels:

The wheels turned out really sick, so I wanted to keep going with the build and not leave any details out. The fronts were then 11" wide, rear 13's with 265 35 18 front, and 285 35 18 rears with 6" lips front and 7" lips rear. The backs went on without too much difficulty but I couldn't get the front tires to seat. They were originally 255 35 18's so I had to order new tires. The toyo proxes T1 sport are pretty stiff on the side walls I guess. I hope the new size goes on ok and matches the rear comparatively.
    Here's a pic of the rear on the front of the car.

The fenders will be something I start once all 4 wheels are on the car. I'm taking this opportunity to complete the rear bag and stereo setup so that once complete I can focus on the body only. The engine bay will be last.
    I was happy to get bags finally (airlift) so it gave me a chance to showcase some custom interior/hardline stuff. I built a subframe which kept my amp, with my car battery below it in the spare tire well and stuffed the compressor and manifold into the side pocket (monsoon factory amp) spot. I didn't have 2 compressor so I thought it wouldn't look symmetrical only running one as a display. Here's how I ran the lines:

I made some stand off blocks from aluminum which will be polished once set up is complete:

Initially I didn't have MDF sides but thought that it wouldn't look complete if the vinyl didn't run up the sides too. So I trimmed the plastic top covers to allow MDF panels to butt nicely. These will be covered with Diamond stitched vinyl. Top plastic will be glued and wrapped too.

My big old school Zapco amp sits beneath some plexi and will power 2 JL 8W7 subs which will sit where the seats once were. Tonight I started on the speaker box which took some time to create the seat pan curve and just the concept really. It will be separate from the main air setup so installation/removal won't be a major pain.

I ran out of MDF and 3/4x3" pine so I had to stop for tonight. Tomorrow I will pick up some flexible sheeting that will follow the bottom contour of the box kind of like a skate ramp, and plan the top where the 2 subs will sit. I'm looking to do a multi layered router thing with contrasting vinyls and stuff. That takes us to right now. The engine is another story but that will be last as bay shaving and tidying up wires is not my specialty. Here's a pic of how the turbo will sit along with my mani flange I made up:

sweet, mad skills.....

Comment

In for the machining! Nice work
      My Build Thread - Alfa 75 3lt

Comment

Originally posted by b5Avant View Post
        sweet, mad skills.....
        🍺🙏😊 thanks! I learn a lot just looking on Instagram and YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by jazig.k View Post
          In for the machining! Nice work
          Thank you sir 😄 🍻👍🏻

Comment

Good lord the machine work on those wheels is fantastic!

@fackinsteve ; fackin build thread :
            http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ill-build-E36s

Comment

How thick is the flange on the rpf1's? My buddy machined a set of faces and the flange was way too thin to be safe.
              @sd262 - instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Icana4dit View Post
                How thick is the flange on the rpf1's? My buddy machined a set of faces and the flange was way too thin to be safe.
                .400" You're buddy took too much off. I left a radius on the top edge and didn't machine back to the holes to provide more strength. There was 100% surface to lip side and about 70% on barrel side before it started to curve away after the holes. I discussed it with an engineer friend and we determined it would be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by fackinsteve View Post
                  Good lord the machine work on those wheels is fantastic!
                  Thanks man!

Comment

DAMNNNN I need to come check it out one of these days
                    1958 Chevy Apache shop truck build

Commonwealth

W201/W124 Control arms and bag brackets

http://www.commonwealthmotoring.com/
                    Air ride and custom parts
                    IG - Commonwealth_mf FB - https://facebook.com/commonwealthmotoring

Comment

Out of curiosity how do you make a one piece wheel into a 3 piece? Just cut off the lip and barrel and machine a flat? Also, definitely sub'd for what looks like a great build and it's Canadian to boot!

I/G: DeltaAlpha9

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaAlpha9 View Post
                        Out of curiosity how do you make a one piece wheel into a 3 piece? Just cut off the lip and barrel and machine a flat? Also, definitely sub'd for what looks like a great build and it's Canadian to boot!
                        Basically yes however the wheel must qualify for the conversion. There are only certain wheels that are eligible for this. Enkei seems to have designed their wheel face with a flange kind of in the right spot. Wheels that become thin on the outsides after turning on the lathe can be built up with weld or whatever. Check my Instagram to see more details. There are some short clips of the process including drilling

Welcome back to Instagram. Sign in to check out what your friends, family & interests have been capturing & sharing around the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay92 View Post
                          DAMNNNN I need to come check it out one of these days
                          Bring a tube bender that works lol

Comment

made some -3 degree camber shims for the back to run a bit of camber. Negative 3 shims sit like -3.5 when installed on the car. They have a +2 degree toe compensation machined into the shim. It will be subtle but noticeable due to the wide rears. Front bags are adjusted to about -2 degrees but things may change depending on the fenders. I picked up some nice pine to remake the sub frame/base for the rear bag setup. The new base sits flat and tight and I notched grooves for wires and machined pockets where the little steel angle braces I bent up and drilled. I still need some furniture style screw things where the top of the MDF will connect to the upper plastics. I also picked up 2 of these adjustable T-square for drywall applications which I added a second slot and threaded hole to so I could have an adjustable router template thing for doing the speaker moulding things on the box. Haven't really figured out the procedure on how to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by filtersweeper View Post
                              Bring a tube bender that works lol
                              You having trouble making that one work?
                              1958 Chevy Apache shop truck build

Commonwealth

W201/W124 Control arms and bag brackets

http://www.commonwealthmotoring.com/
                              Air ride and custom parts
                              IG - Commonwealth_mf FB - https://facebook.com/commonwealthmotoring

Comment

Working...
                              X